Girls in the Sciences

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mighty Melvin, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Mad Wombat

Mad Wombat Member

I can't believe this idea is still being entertained in 2017. Complete nonsense.

For my part, I studied engineering and have worked in industrial settings for more than 20 years. While there weren't may women in engineering when I studies, and not many in industry when I started, I see more nowadays. From what I've seen, they're are every bit as good or bad as guys. Not really much difference when it comes to doing the job. The problems only seem to start with others who can't seem to handle the concept.

derekd and Flyin' Brian like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I've seen an opposite trend in the 30 years I've been doing software development. It seems like there are fewer women today who do actual programming. Those who do program are often pushed into business analyst or social media management or other non-coding roles.

3. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

You sir married well! Long life to both of you!

derekd and mge80 like this.
  4. Rick51

Rick51 Member

My son's fiancée has a doctorate in chemistry. Excellent cook, too. :)

5. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Does this risk opening that can of worms regarding whether software developers and engineers are "really" engineers? I remember that as a big subject of debate for years in my neck of the woods.

derekd likes this.
  6. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

"Real" engineers drive a train...

7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Haha! Touché.

travisvwright and derekd like this.
  8. mge80

mge80 Member

She, on the other hand, married a hick from a small town in Texas who has a 6th grade education but who also managed to fly airliners.

Now that I see it in print, she married well, too.

Thanks!! :D

9. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

There are a lot of brilliant science women where I work. I'm currently privileged to work with Dr. Crystal MacKall:

Mackall graduated summa cum laude from the University of Akron in Ohio and received her medical degree from Northeastern Ohio University College of Medicine in Rootstown. After completing clinical training in pediatrics and internal medicine, she undertook subspecialty training in pediatric hematology/oncology at the NCI. There, she made pioneering discoveries regarding thymic function in humans and received international recognition for her work on immune reconstitution. Since 1998, she has led a cutting edge clinical-translational research program focused on developing new immune-based therapies for childhood cancer. Mackall is credited with discovering an essential role for interleukin-7 in T-cell homeostasis and has led the clinical development of recombinant human interleukin-7, a novel immunorestorative agent. Her program also conducts translational studies of tumor vaccines, immunomodulators, experimental bone marrow transplantation and cell-based therapy for childhood cancer.

derekd, AZChilicat and sundog964 like this.
  10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Many do quite well without any added testosterone. Kind of a BS idea.

[​IMG]

hudpucker, Mad Wombat, derekd and 2 others like this.
  11. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I agree. My wife saw a diamond in the rough. And now has a lump of carbon. I got lucky as well. Cheers.

mge80 likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

It is a can o' worms. For example, my job title right now is "control systems engineer" but I don't really think of myself as an engineer since I still primarily do web based programming.

More broadly, I guess the correct term is STEM rather than pure engineering.

derekd and A-Bone like this.
  13. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    A good formula for one helluva womens' basketball team.

14. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    My ex-wife also saw a diamond in the rough. We had her eyes corrected and the rest is history. :D

sundog964 likes this.
  15. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I thought she just played one on TV? :dunno

(I know she has a doctorate in the neuroscience field. ;) )

16. teledude55

teledude55 Supporting Member

I am a long time NPR fan but it seems lately that not a day goes by without a Transgender story...guess it is the hip thing now. I don't get it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  17. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Ironically, I think Geddy must have been injecting estrogen regularly back in the day to be able to sing that high for so long. And, you've seen these right?
    [​IMG]

derekd likes this.
  18. Hogan/Guitars

Hogan/Guitars Member

In spite of the virtue signaling of a whipped into shape matriarchal cuck society, I wonder what the real statistics are. Because there is always the official stats and then the real ones.

Were always hearing "and that's a good thing" at the end of sentences but last I also heard was men are dropping out of universities left and right and women are 60% now.

Despite the 60/40 split and the continual push for "equalization" you never hear about "men need to be more represented in traditionally women's dominated fields.

Where I live women dominate veterinary sciences as much as they do education.

Tritone and derekd like this.
  19. 9520575

9520575 Member

Mighty Melvin, he said that pedophilia would be a constitutionally protected right in a few years. He said that a few years ago. I keep bringing it up because there doesn't seem to be any movement in that direction. I remember him quoting all the doubters saying "just you watch". So, I'm not sure how much weight I put on this deep thought about women in science...

Stike, derekd and A-Bone like this.
  20. RJLII

RJLII Member