Git yer rig duplicated! Step right up! (Axe-FX invitation)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by solo-act, Apr 11, 2008.

1. solo-act

solo-act Member

I've watched Axe-FX clips threads come and go. This one is different because it's not about posting clips. It's about learning and having some fun. Read on.......

I'd like to I'd like to offer anonymous rig duplication to anyone who is curious about the Axe-FX.

If you can make a recording of your rig, that you believe is a good representation of its sound, while providing what I need to duplicate it, I would like to do that. I tried to make the requirements easy enough for us mere mortals.
    Without the requirements, I'm not interested because I won't be creating a duplicate.

Why am I doing this??
    --Because I want to have some fun with my Axe-FX. I just finished a 2 year project writing a book--finished at 8pm last night (woo hoo!!) I'm taking a week off.
    --I'd like to dial some TPG rigs for a change instead of the usual covers that I do.
    --I'd like to offer anonymous rig duplication to anyone who is curious about the Axe-FX.
    **Most importantly outside of fun, I want to advance my skills with the Axe-FX.

I know this has been tried before
    I know you can't get an exact duplicate clip even with two identical tube amps
    I know "anyone" can duplicate a bad recording
    I know it doesn't prove anything
    I know virtual and real rigs aren't identical
    bla bla bla bla bla....... this thread isn't concerned with failure or success.

I'm doing this in a different way, for different reasons:
    --The submission and duplication of the rig will be anonymous.
    --PM me & email your clips recorded per the instructions. And if you want, I will privately email you the results.
    --No clips are posted here. The rig-originator can remain completely anonymous or post the clips in their own thread. They clips belong to them. That is their call.

Why do it like this? I already said why. I'll make this post longer if I explain, but here goes:
    Look, I can dial covers till the cows come home and learn that way. Been there, done that, looking for something fresh. The reason I want to duplicate a TGP rig is this: unlike a cover song, I don't have to solve the mystery of the rig, the mic, the axe, the strings, the pickups, the preamps, the processing, the effects. I don't have to learn and duplicate the performance AND I don't have to pick the sound of the rig out of a full mix.
    This will be a lot less work, and a lot more fun.

You can disagree with this for a million different reasons. Go ahead, invent your own reality, but I'm just doing it for fun and learning. Post an opinion, but please don't clutter the thread up with a bunch of BS, because obviously it's not inviting it. AND.....I think a lot of TGPers (including me) have already dragged this through the mud several times.

Here's what I need:
    Anyone that can split their guitar signal to 2 destinations can do this.
    1. I need--without time based effects or any post-processing--a recording of a tube amp, cab, mic, pedal that has duplicates in the axe-fx.
    In case you don't have it, here's the lists of what is in the axe-fx
    AMPS:
    CABS & MICS:
    PEDALS: be sure to scroll down for full info.
    2. I need your guitar performance to go to two destinations simultaneously (split the signal)
    -- 1. Send guitar to the miced rig, and record that performance (no time-based effects, no post processing)
    -- 2. Send guitar, cable-only, direct to the DAW and record it, no processing, but make sure the signal is hot enough. As long as it is the same pristine signal that is going to the amp, we're good.
    3. Output two individual non-compressed mono recordings.
    -- 1. The miced rig
    -- 2. The naked guitar
    PM & I'll provide Email so you can email to me (I have high speed cable internet) or host somewhere I can download.
    As long as it's compatible with proTools LE, I'm good.

Here's the benefit of doing it this way:
    1. If I can send your performance into the axe-fx, it eliminates having two different players trying to play the same phrase with different hands, strings, axes, etc. And you get to hear exactly what you sound like playing through an axe-fx version of your rig.
    2. It eliminates trying to duplicate non-matching rigs. I've done a lot of this-it ain't easy. Even matching rigs don't sound the same, why make it harder?
    3. By nature, the recording quality will not be identical because the recording gear is different, but at least we've eliminated all the other crap that makes duplication difficult.
    4. Instead of the thread turning into clips & opinion warfare, the option of being anonymous lets the rig provider and rig duplicator have a dialog and exchange without the freekin' thread noise. If the rig provider wants to post the results in public, that's their call. I'm fine with whatever they decide because I'm here to have fun.

I'm not attached to the outcome. I'm here to learn, have fun, trade clips and talk tone. That's it.

If you (rig-originator) wants the results, let me know how you want it output (compressed or not, panned in one file or separate files etc...) and I (rig-duplicator) will make it so and privately email it to you, or provide a link for download.

2. Dave

Dave Member

Sounds like fun, I can't wait to hear some of the results.

BTW your links aren't working.

3. solo-act

solo-act Member

Remember, there is an option for the rig originator to keep the process anonymous. They want the results, the results belong to them, they make the call on private or public. So some results may never be heard.
    I'll fix those links - thanks! Glad you're interested BTW

4. Dave

Dave Member

I appreciate that. The chances of this turning ugly are pretty high I would think. Still, I hope to hear some of the results, good or bad.

I personally don't even care if the Axe-FX can duplicate a certain amp's tone, as long as it sounds good and behaves like a tube amp I'm good. This will be an interesting experiment though. I wish you luck.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

This will be fun. I hope folks step up and give you the tracks as noted.

It'd also be fun to have guys do the same thing in reverse; hand them a track done on the Axe-FX and then see if they can do it with their rig.

6. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Hey Thanks man, Sounds great!

Hopefully when my DAW is back up and running this thread will still be kickin.

This is approach is interesting, because for better or worse, one could hear what THEY would sound like playing though an AXE-FX!

7. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

I think it will be interesting to see if anyone has the balls to put up their "real" amps that they claim sound so much better than a modeller. The cool thing about this excercise is that the recording of the real amp will require you to make your amp sound good AND to record it well enough to represent that good sound (which is a task that people take for granted)...........because in the end having a good sounding amp isn't enough.......you have to be able to make it sound good AFTER the mic (which is how most people will hear your amp). Having an amp that you claim sounds really kick ass in your bedroom is nice and all, but if you can't make that sound represent to the real world then it's all just talk.

Another good thing about this is that if we do get some good recordings of real amps then we'll just have that many more good sounds to aim for with the AxeFx.........the sound library will grow, which is a great thing!

p

8. solo-act

solo-act Member

That is a VERY, VERY good point and another reason it would be a good learning tool.

For everyone that's looking forward to hearing clips. Remember that is not my call. The original post says I will not be posting clips........

The clips I produce will be owned by the rig originators. It is their call what they want to do with those clips.

9. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

One of the greatest quotes I've ever read here, Peter.

10. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

+1

I know full well that I don't have any tone that couldn't be reproduced (I used to think they couldn't until I had to listen to dry recordings of my miced FOH sound - talk about an eye-opening experience). All of a sudden, the idea of posting a tube amp clip is pretty intimidating.

I hope some people step up though, and I especially hope that they let everyone hear the results. This will be a pretty intense job for the OP, but I'm sure you'll know that gadget like the back of your hand when you get done.

D

11. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Yeah and let's not reveal the results... just post the two clips so we can listen to them without any bias..... and if the original amp has hum or hiss please record some of it so you can "dirty up" the AXE-FX clip as well!

:RoCkIn

12. 6789

6789 Member

13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

sending PM. I think I have something that could be fun. ?? JCM800 hotrodded, v30's or greenbacks, (even scumbacks) sm57's. will this work?

14. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

That would be awesome! The AxeFx has versions of your various components so it should be possible to dial in a similar sound............in theory anyway, we'll see what happens in reality!

p

15. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

:) Be carefull now.....otherwise this thread will end up like the rest. Lets keep it friendly and fun ;)

It's not about having the balls to put up anything......it's about fun:AOK

16. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306 Member

Id love to send a clip - especially as Im thinking if getting an AFX. However, I dont think my rig is doable in the sense you want it. It would be:

VHT 50ST, into VHT 2x12 Fat Bottom cab (1 x V30, 1 x Greenback) miced with either a Sennheiser e845 or Sure Beta 58.

17. Pakyie

Pakyie Member

Excellent idea. I whish I could send something but hey... most of my equipment has some digital parts in it, so I guess that'd defeat the whole purpose of the replication here ;)

Anyway, I can't wait to listen to the resulting clips !!!

18. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

This is a really generous offer by solo-act. I hope people will take him up on his invitation and actually send in some tube amp clips.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the results. :drink

19. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Damn, this could be awesome.

20. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I'd do it in a second if i could just get a freakin good recording out of my rig! Part of the reason i am soo interested in the Axe. I'll keep trying.