Give It Away Give It Away Now

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bo13bo, May 8, 2015.

1. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

I'm finding lately that when I purchase new gear it is very fulfilling to give away the old gear to someone else instead of trying to sell it. Feels nice to pass on some tone to someone else.

Anyone else give away old gear as a general practice? Figured some of you would have some cool stories to share around this idea.

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

yep - an old mate put a thing on Facebook recently about wanting to buy a boss multi effects for his own use. I sent him my ME-50 that's been sitting unused in a draw for the last 5 years. he asked me how much for it, I said buy me a pint next time we catch up. it made his day! felt pretty good doing it too :)

3. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

its not much, but I gave a buddy of mine my Polytune 2 after the gear page got to me and I bought a turbo tuner

4. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I sent a pedal to a kid in the Philippines. He was obviously less fortunate than many of us, and was very, very frustrating on why he couldn't get a good tone out of what he had. He had a single channel amp and no real drive to speak of, and he REALLY wanted "a boss pedal" but according to him it would have cost him like 2 months work to afford one... apparently he was young and they pay for someone his age is extremely low. So I modded a Boss SD-1 and mailed it to him. Made his day - but made mine too.

5. dbp512

dbp512 Member

Hah, I only have one pedal, a TC HoF. I plan on getting a neunaber stereo soon, so that should cover most of my effect needs, I think. I'm new to all this, and my gas is pretty well satisfied with my orange micro terror.

6. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

I realized that I have plenty of friends who either need gear I no longer use, or know people who do. It's especially rewarding to give to young people who probably wouldn't be able to acquire quality gear at that point in their life. When I just started, not only couldn't I afford great gear, there wasn't much to be had, money or not!. Now I can pay it forward.

-db

7. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

I've given pretty much all of my old gear to my Nephew, besides being grateful he takes really good care of it, I recently asked him if he still used an old Boss DD3 I'd given him about 10 years ago as I was looking to buy a new one, he still had it and said he'd bring it round as he wasn't using it, it was pristine, I think it was in better shape than when I gave it to him.

8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Yup its fun...have corrupted a young classical guitarist with a turdcaster with keystones, an awesome 60's ptp se el84 amp and a rat.

Gave a nice "76" alverez dreadnaught to a dear friend wanting to learn.

Gave 50's silvertone 1301 amp to my son who wanted a real amp that could do blues.

9. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

I very strongly believe that we are blessed to BE a blessing to others, whether you believe in the bible or not.
    It's better to give than to receive (Acts 20:35)

Few years ago I gqve away:
    A Epi Joe Perry signature
    A red Fender dreadnought acoustic with fishman pickup
    A Squier Custom Classic Vibe telecaster
    A Bad monkey od
    Annd a few other things

In return, over the next few years I got blessed with:
    A Marshall JMP100 with greenback cab
    A Cole Clarke FL2 acoustic
    A USA Standard Strat with case, spotless
    An Ibanez AS103 custom, brand new, which I gave away again when a guy I knoe lost everything he had in a fire
    Bought back the Joe Perry from the friend when he was in trouble
    Got back the Fender when the friend I yave it to passed away, but felt bad about having it so I gave it away again.
    Countless ods and ends I cant even recall..

10. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

I've given my dad a Fender '65 Twin Reverb RI, USA Stratocaster, and a number of different effects/multi FX.

Typically I sell the gear that I cycle through, but he digs guitar and paid for the college that let me afford the toys I buy so I figured I'd give a bit back. Also, he was using a Gorilla 10w amp with a '72 Gibson ES355 and I thought it'd go better with the Twin.

11. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Still young here and have been on both the receving and giving end.

I randomly met up with a user on acoustic guitar forums once, named noman, and I drove down to sell a guitar to him . We had a great day messing with each others' guitars but he decided that the guitar I was selling for him wasn't for him. He felt bad and gifted me an old Alvarez 12 string that he had laying around. Made my day.

Several months later, went back and showed it to my acoustic guitar meetup group and one guy fell in love with it. I paid it forward to him and he's been playing it happily ever since.

Also, bought a Martin MMV but ended up being more of a Taylor guy. However, my dad really took a liking to it so I opted not to sell it and gave it to him instead and just save up for a new guitar for myself.

12. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

I've enjoyed the comments as they are certainly heartwarming. Although I cracked up at the "corrupted a young classical kid with a turdcaster".

13. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

I've given old guitars to friends and family members and taught them a few riffs, but never given away old FX...don't have anyone to give them too in person, all my musician friends have their own gear, but I love the aspect of "paying it forward" and I try to do it when I know I can help

14. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

It is good to pass the torch to others, especially the next generation of musicians. Incite passion I say!!

My nephews, friends, and new acquaintances have left my home with many a pedal over the years...

good stuff.

15. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I don't give away expensive gear. But I am fond of buying pawn shop abuse cases and fixing them up. Sometimes I keep them, but I've given a few away to kids.

16. Snare227

Snare227 Vendor

A lot of my guitar playing friends have been turned into pedal-heads by getting some of my blem/prototype/demo pedals. Though I'd probably be a better player, I can't imagine playing straight into an amp... so it's fun to turn others onto the robots.

On a few different occasions I have "loaned" guitars to younger kids or new players to let them experience what so many of us love. Usually if they don't stick with it they will drop it off at my house and say it's not for them... but more times than not, I won't hear anything from them for awhile and then they will tell me to stop by their house sometime. When I stop they break it out and stumble through a song for me. That's usually when I tell them just to hang onto the guitar. I had an old 1/2 sized acoustic with horrible action and 4 tuners when I started learning, so I know if the desire is there you can do it with about anything, but a decent instrument can sure make it more enjoyable.

It feels great to do something like that. Also taking a kid fishing is another great one. It all comes back around.

17. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I gave away about 30 pedals that I didn't use.

18. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I gave away my backup acoustic when I was in Jamaica on a relief trip with my church. A guy there, one of the musicians for the church band in the village, lost his guitar in a storm so it was a pretty easy choice to make. It was fairly new at the time too, so it was in great shape. He was stoked!

While it felt good, I was surprised by how little I missed it at the time. Taught me a lesson about needs, priorities and the unimportance of acquisition.

19. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

I haven't yet been in a position to give something away, but I've always kinda wanted to get to a place where I could. My gear stash is small and only changes to afford an incoming piece because our monetary stash is equally small, if not smaller. I'll get there someday. Until then, if you guys are looking for someone to give gear too...

20. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I used to give away my early builds, mods, and other miscellaneous pedals quite freely... I enjoyed helping young musicians get started. Then I started fielding questions like, "How much do you think I could get for xxx pedal you gave me?"

I still give away pedals from time to time, but I am far more discerning. My "help" usually comes in the form of guitar set ups and gear repair.