Give me a cool double humbucker guitar for $1,500

Bossanova

Silver Supporting Member
Ok so I know this is WAYYY too broad so let me give you some context:
I love my Les Paul Standard and I know some will disagree but I'm too scared to gig it. I know they are meant to play but its just too precious to me to risk it getting messed up (like a broken headstock). I used to gig my Taylor acoustic and it got a nice scratch on it because of it, so please don't say "just gig the standard." I have an epiphone les paul that sounds good but it just doesn't have the juice for me.
I'm more of a gibson fan and I really like flying Vs and explorers so I'm thinking about one of those. Firebirds are the coolest but don't feel good to me. I picked up an eastwood flying V that I like a lot, so thinking about that. Also like the RD style guitars that are out there. You get the idea that I want something kind of funky, not just a superstrat and not just another les paul like a classic or something (though I am thinking about that too).

What do you think?
Like this?

jlectka

Supporting Member
Lot of prs fit the bill and would be excellent. Also check out reverend. I was really pleased with them.

kwaping

Guitar payer
Add me to the Reverend list. Great value for the money. If you're open to new things, I suggest you try out a Reverend with Railhammer pickups, like the Kingbolt RA (I have one). So versatile, and all sounds are great and usable.

Gibson Dog

Silver Supporting Member
Ok so I know this is WAYYY too broad so let me give you some context:
I love my Les Paul Standard and I know some will disagree but I'm too scared to gig it. I know they are meant to play but its just too precious to me to risk it getting messed up (like a broken headstock). I used to gig my Taylor acoustic and it got a nice scratch on it because of it, so please don't say "just gig the standard." I have an epiphone les paul that sounds good but it just doesn't have the juice for me.
I'm more of a gibson fan and I really like flying Vs and explorers so I'm thinking about one of those. Firebirds are the coolest but don't feel good to me. I picked up an eastwood flying V that I like a lot, so thinking about that. Also like the RD style guitars that are out there. You get the idea that I want something kind of funky, not just a superstrat and not just another les paul like a classic or something (though I am thinking about that too).

What do you think?
I just got this Palermo & it's KILLER!! I left high output PUPS 20 years ago so I planned on changing them but they sound pretty great so I'm leaving them for now. The quality of his work is really great (the frets are perfect) I've bought a bunch of custom shop 335's & didn't like any of them & I loved this guitar right out of the box. Plus it was only $1,435 shipped = really cheap for what you get.

https://reverb.com/item/11599486-pa...nburst-semi-hollow-thinline-w-gibson-335-case

View media item 120081

Yup, I have a Studio Custom, I think I paid $1200-1300. Same quality as a Gibson CS IMO.
This is the right answer. ;)

There's wraptail and TOM variants, 60s and 50s neck options, finishes and materials to die for and craftsmanship to match.

I literally bought my first as a beater to leave out all the time.

Only down side is that you start to like and value it more than the guitar it was supposed to stunt double for. :D

Tom Gross

Silver Supporting Member
Used PRS.
But if you really like Gibsons, check out older used Japanese copies - Greco, Burny, Orville. There are 70's, 80s & 90s Les Pauls, V's, and Firebirds that are as good as Gibsons for cheap (under a grand), especially if you replace the pickups.