Give me a cool double humbucker guitar for $1,500

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tobin1634, Jul 6, 2018.

1. makerdp

makerdp Member

Nobody has suggested Godin??? They have several models that fit your description, you might be able to get two for that price range, three if you go to the used market.

Also, a G&L ASAT Bluesboy would be a killer axe... or a Thinline Tele...

2. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Agile 2500. I put a set of Duncan "59s" in this one and it sounds and plays every bit as good as my LP. All in including guitar pick ups and case for just over $400.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Mincer likes this.
  3. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

Try an original core PRS Mira (it will have the violin cut instead of the S2 cut). A lot of people dig the original run Mira pickups too, but I personally prefer the 57/08 neck pups in the both neck and bridge.... which would be the same as a 57/08 in the neck and a 58/15 (not LT) is the bridge.

Either way, $1500 will get you a gig-able guitar ripe for the studio as well. That is a great price-point to play with.

4. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I've got the S2 version of the Mira. I haven't played a Core model but the S2 bevel cut is VERY comfy. Didn't realize how much until I got my Les Paul and switch between the two. Anyways, you can snag them for under $1,000 used. Somehow I found mine which came with a Mann adjustable bridge AND Lollar Imperials (that's $500 worth of upgrades) plus the original pickups and bridge for $850 shipped. Jumped on that one. I think the S2's make a lot of sense for this particular model if you think you'll swap pickups anyways.

5. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

Yeah they're stock; I quite like them for what I do but if I was playing in not of a classic rock or blues band I imagine p90s would be amazing in it.

6. reverendripper

reverendripper Silver Supporting Member

I’ve had a few nice LP Standards that were too pretty to mess up. I gigged them anyway for a while. I finally sold them and bought a 91 LP Standard that already had a busted headstock with a good solid repair. I threw some BKP Mules in it and I don’t think twice about taking it out. You can usually pick one with a repair fairly cheap. Then enjoy it.

7. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Seriously. I was going to suggest an LP Studio. But mine stays at home, I don’t gig with it, it doesn’t have binding, and it has dings all over. I play it daily.

Put them in cases under the bed and stop playing.

8. NBlair930

NBlair930 Silver Supporting Member

Used Collings 290 with humbickers. I had one and it sustained for days. Only reason I sold it was (stupidly) to try something else and knowing it can be replaced easily. I also own 3 other Collings electrics, so...

9. panther_king

panther_king Member

Yeah, a used PRS CE or Custom 22, Singlecut, or McCarty will be available all day long with a great selection at or around $1500 - I would probably start there.

10. markflo

markflo Member

11. Speedbump61

Speedbump61 Member

I wasn’t thinking about the Godin Summit classic, it if you look hard you can find one with the mini humbuckers in that range. Sweet guitar, I have the version with the gold foils.

12. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Yeah, this is a real :nuts

But if the OP likes Les Pauls, he could just get a used trad to gig with and leave the closet queen in the closet.

13. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

"double humbucker"

14. zovanou

zovanou Silver Supporting Member

epiphone johnny a

15. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

LP Classic T, used, is going to be in that price range and it will get you almost to your Standard.

16. JLee

JLee Member

For $1500, a MIJ Bacchus or used Crews Maniac Sound.

I have a Bacchus SG from their earlier Handmade Series that is phenomenal. Pickups and electronics were terrible though.

Just got a 2012 Crews KTR Standard with K&T NFS Weep Pickups. The man behind K&T was the one who designed the Greco Dry Z pickups.
    No mods necessary with the Crews. The pickups are absolutely amazing. I have owned all the big boutiques, Wizz, WCR, Fralin, Wolfetone, Bareknuckle and still own Throbak, OX4 and Rewind Electric. The K&T are probably at the top of my list.
    Guitar itself has a neck made of “30 year air dried” Honduran mahogany and a hard maple N American maple top.
    Higher end & priced Crews have solid flame maple tops and air dried backs as well.

17. makerdp

makerdp Member

Sorry... meant the Deluxe not the Bluesboy.

They also have the Fallout... pretty cool HH design.

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  18. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Kauer Titan

Titanguitars.com

Mine:

19. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Gibson style? Look at the Yamaha Revstar lineup.

Strat style? I just bought a G&L Legacy HH and it rocks!

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I see you already have been checking out Eastwood, did you see this one (I really like the Rivolta series, although most are P90 and mini-hb models):
    https://eastwoodguitars.com/collect.../rivolta-mondata-ii-hb?variant=12464261038165

There are some Gretsch-type guitars, like the Malcolm Young looking model, and if you like semi-hollows, the Classic 6 HB model is cool. I could spend a lot of money with them, and getting a lot of guitars for the bucks.
    https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections/classic-brand/products/classic-6-hb
    https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections/classic-brand/products/classic-ac?variant=38442485060

Al