Give me a quick Two-Rock tutorial . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by justonwo, Feb 18, 2008.

1. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

The descriptions on the Two-Rock site are fairly vague, and the clips on the Two Rock board seem to stay in the clean realm.

How do you classify the various Two-Rock models? The Custom Signature 50 looks really interesting to me. Is the drive channel more of a smooth or gritty overdrive? Are the cleans supposed to be blackface style?

Are the other models all iterations on the same theme, or are their amps all significantly different?

2. les

les Gold Supporting Member

3. justonwo

That is a great, great overview. Thanks for the link.

4. justonwo

Still not hearing a wide variety of styles. Mostly just the fluid, high-gain solos (very smooth high gain, mind you) and jazzy clean stuff.

Can the Custom Reverb Sig V2 do something with more attitude? A grittier overdrive? Or dirtier cleans? Everything I've heard seems to be "polite" for lack of a better term.

5. sws1

sws1 Member

You're hearing the guitar players, not the amps. I used my CR Sig for rock and pop. Fits anywhere a blackface would work.

6. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I've owned 1 TR and played through a friend's CR quite a bit.

The answer to both of your questions is NO

The only one which MAY come close or even answer your question is the Ruby, as it is TW based

7. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

I had a Topaz and used it for Classic Rock. It worked!

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

The Onyx has a lot of marshall attitude in the lead channel. the clean channel is very fendery (more so than the other models). The Ruby has even more gain and aggression. The Opal sits somewhere between - some of the marshall bite but still fluid.

FWIW, I actually think the CR (at least sig v2) can get some great classic rock tones that are not very polite at all. Most people just don't set them up that way.

9. ronw

ronw Member

I recorded a clip late last night. Probably sounds like it too! :) But, it's not high-gain smooth solo stuff at all. It's more clean pop chime. My amp will easily get attitude tones, and fun rock stuff. I'll try to record more tonight. But here's a clean clip of the Classic Type 3:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=806738

10. Dunnej

Dunnej Member

I used my Custom Reverb for pop/rock. It worked great, the overdrive channel was nice on that amp because you could set it to be just a tiny bit of smooth top end overdrive (to my ears), or some ballsier tones with the EQ bypass. Switching from EQ1 to EQ2 also had a big impact on the overdrive channel, more volume and more gain I thought. I did eventually sell it tho...too compressed a clean sound but from what I've heard, they've done away with that with the new Two Rock models (CR Sig, Classic, etc...).

11. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

TwoRock Emerald Pro. Les Paul straight into amp. Turn it up.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=1554401&q=hi

Had it next to many, many Marshalls, and blew them clean out of the room.

:AOK

Also, the classic type 1 I played could get almost any rock tone you could name,l and had excellent cleans as well.

12. Tag

Never played a type 3, but they are very similar to the type 1 I played. I think 2 tube rectifiers and a Class A mode being the only differences in the 3. Compared to the Emmerald Pro,The type 1 is far and away a more outright Rock machine, but capable of some Dumble types of tones as well. I can get my Emmy to rock out, but it is basically a FAR more refined and smoother amp. There is some overlap, but really very different amps. For my style, I need the smoothness. Others dislike the E.Pro for that very reason.

13. justonwo

So does the CR Sig V2 sit on that "smooth" side of the spectrum as well?

14. Tag

IMO, yes. I played the V1 side by side with the CRS2 for several hours, and bought the sig2. I was looking for SMOOOTH. The sig2 is gone, and I have an E.Pro now. Smoother yet.

15. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Type III is the answer. It can be set to be smooth or bite like a parana. I sold my Emerald Pro because it was to smooth. With the contour on the Type III you make it bite or smooth it out. It has a contour on the clean channel and the lead channel. Killer Amp!!

16. Cory

Cory Guest

I love my 35 watt Ruby for rock. It works great!!! Sounds killer with pedals too! I really like how it can go from clean to grit to huge amounts of gain with the volume knob and pick pressure.

17. Tag

LOL!!! Yes they are! That was the undoing of them, and what so many guys bitched about way back then. But thats what I fell in love with!! Damn I love that amp!! The smoothest amp I have ever played or heard! TwoRock needs to add it back in their line for that reason alone. They have nothing like it, and that needs to be filled!

HURRY UP BILL!!!!!! :AOK

18. Cory

Cory Guest

None taken!! If you're ever in Texas, I'll let you play my Emerald Pro and my Ruby! They are both KILLER amps that are quite different from one another.

19. Cory

Cory Guest

+10000

I LOVE my Emerald Pro. I too like the smoothness of the amp. That's what I fell in love with as well! I'd love to see Two Rock add it back to their line-up. I can only imagine what they'd do to it with all the gains they've made in the last few years. If they were to be anything like the one I've got now, I'd buy one for sure......but the one I've got is going no where! I'm REALLY happy I was able to get an Emerald Pro when they were available.

20. justonwo

After doing more research, the Classic Type 3 really does seem to match my musical style the best. Is the clean channel a blackface scooped sound? Or does it have more midrange than that?