give me an example of JTM45 tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Andy_T, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Andy_T

Andy_T Member

Can anyone point out an example of good JTM45 tone on an album? Maybe a certain artist's general tone who used JTM45s?

2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Clapton - Mayall and the Bluesbreakers - Beano album

Marshall JTM45 2x12 "Bluesbreaker" combo

3. karmadave

karmadave Member

I think a lot of Angus Young's work on the early AC/DC albums was JTM45.

Clapton and Peter Green in Mayall's Bluesbreakers too...

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

All the really stellar examples right there. Though there are many more, my fave is 'All your love (I miss loving)' from the Beano album.

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Gary More, Still got the blues.

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I don't ever follow pro guitarists' setups so I'm no expert on this, but for any JTM45 to sound like Still got the blues, you need a pedal. Someone else who's more of an expert can verify that!!! I had the stock JTM45 RI for quite some time since the early 90's and then got it modded to the old vintage values, and POST-MOD that amp is as nice as anything I have .. It's beautiful sounding... Has some of the best cleans ever imo, and great glassy crunch and great on-the-verge-of -blowup rich od when dimed. It's not as fluid as "Still got the blues" though but sounds like that with many of the od's I can throw in front of it... Stock , the JTM45 RI was very nice , but sounded more bassmanish and was a pedal base... Modded they sound great. I've never tried any of the other clones, NOR have I tried a 60's version so that's the extent of my experience.. I've had mine abuot 12-13 years now and will never sell it.

ERIC

7. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Old AC/DC - Let There Be Rock, Powerage, etc.

8. Andy_T

Andy_T Member

does a plexi 50 have much more gain than the JTM45? I'd thought that if you bridged the chanels that the JTM45 had a good amount of gain.

9. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Here's a fine set of examples.

Click on

Vintage! Marshalls legendärer JTM45 [Sound-Videos]

and listen to these. Probably one of the sweetest Marshall tones I've ever heard.

Killer playing, too!

:JAM

10. jgyn

jgyn Member

That old Marshall Bluebreaker pedal, the black one, is a pretty good driver for a JTM-45.

11. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

IIRC, Gary used an old Marshall Guv'nor pedal on that track.

12. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Ohh youre giving me some serious gas my friend..
    Gazz used a bluesbreaker {JTM-45} and a Marshall Guvnor pedal for still got the blues.
    Dont need nuthin else.

13. ericb

That's what I thought about the Guv'nor.. I have 1 of the old ones and yes , that with a JTM45 sounds like Still Got the Blues ezily. Also , LOADS of pedals work great with my JTM45 .. After it was modded with the lower value filter caps,etc I had to use DIFFERENT pedals with it though, as the amp became WAY richer sounding and responded very differently to pedals.. I have an MI Audio Prototype that's great with it , as is a Catalinbread Teaser Stallion as are most boost-type pedals and TS type pedals. Anyway, I love that amp and it's been totally dependable for a long time

ERIC

14. el34power

el34power Member

AC/DC 74 Jailbreak, with a quad of Greenbacks....sweet as honey.:AOK

15. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I heard Gary Moore used a Soldano on "Still Got the Blues". I'm not positive it's true... but I was told by a very reliable source that was the case. I've owned a pile of JTM 45's and that track doesn't really sound like a JTM 45 to me... Guv'nor or not. There is a lot of gain on that track. Great tone! Even the Beano tone had a rangemaster pushin' the front end.

YMMV

16. Swarty

Swarty Member

What about Fresh Cream? That Sleepy Time Time Les Paul tone makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! As for the rangemaster on Beano, although it seems to be widely excepted I'm still waiting for hard evidence. I realize there is some extra hair, but it could be due to a ribbon mic overdriving the input on the console.

17. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Marshall's website has a write up about the rig he used for that album. He only used SLO's for a tour around that period but later went back to his Marshalls.

18. ericb

That's what I thought too.. It's EXTREMELY easy to get that tone with my JTM45 and the old "The Guv'nor" pedal.. It's not one of my favorite pedals (I have lots of really great stuff) but it sounds perfectly like that tune.. If that old "The Guv'nor" cleaned up (it doesn't worth a crud) and had a better bypass tone , it'd be a GREAT pedal for someone to build these days!!!!

ERIC

19. hogy

hogy Member

No, it absolutely did not, and you cannot believe it did if you ever actually heard a Rangemaster/JTM45 combination.

Accepted by whom?
    It was marketing BS made up by a guy who made Rangemaster clones years ago, and all the sheep said "meh".

I'm close to giving up on this mission though.

Hogy

20. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I wrote the Gary Moore webmaster about the SGTB album. His reply was that it was an old JTM 45 with the Guv'nor pedal for most of the tracks, including SGTB, Pretty Woman, etc.