Give me ideas for my next OD pedal purchase!

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've recently sold some of my OD pedals (Keeley TS9, Fulltone OCD, Xotic BB Preamp) to help recoup some holiday expenses. At some point down the line, I'm looking to get at least one new OD pedal. Although I really liked the three I just listed, I think I want to try something new, even if it's essentially a variant of one of my previous OD pedals (although I could probably be talked into getting another BB). I like smooth, slightly compressed, OD tones that sound well for crunchy rhythm as well as lead.

Do any of you have any thoughts on:

-Seymour Duncan 805
-Xotic RC Booster V2
-Xotic Soul Driven AH (really interested in this one)

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

71strat

Roger Mayer 4644 Drive

Friedman BE OD

Empress ParaEQ with Boost.

Roger Mayer Voodoo Blues

Mayer Voodoo 1 Classic.

Effectrode Fire Bottle

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
If I was going to start over from scratch I'd probably just get a Strymon Riverside and be done with it.

If you're anti-digital, since you already said you like the BB, the Xotic BB Preamp Comp is three great pedals in one!

If you want something great you may not have tried before, the Way Huge Big Llama is awesome.

71strat

Also with the Mayers ??

You get 2 x Buffered Outs x 1 True Bypass/Hardwired.

The pedals have a Dual Drive, No Loss Splitter allowing the pedal to drive 2 different amplifiers, and not lose any signal/highs. Ot you can just run Hardwired if you don't need buffers.

But the pedals are a bit expensive, consider they have the buffers/Hardwired availability in 1 pedal. Few pedals do this and most you have to flip a switch. These you just plug em up.

Also if you don't know who Roger Mayer is... He was Hendrix Effects guy, and also did Jimis amp mods, and guitar set ups, and also came up with Jimis string gauges.

Sometimes you can find his pedals used on Reverb.

If your looking for a Mid Gain Drive I wouldn't look any further than the 4644.

Its a very simple pedal to use, and only 3 knobs, but the knobs do a whole lot.

The Output on this pedal is very gradual, and at first you may think as you turn up the dial, that its not powerful enough, but keep turning, and the gain will come, but is very smooth, and gradual, with no quick spikes in loudness.

This pedal has the best graduated Volume/Output/Gain knobs Ive ever seen.

If you decide to buy a NEW Mayer Pedal.... Guitar Village on Reverb has the best prices.. Even though they are in the UK, and shipping aint cheap. They can still beat US $$$$$ Probably because the dollar is strong against the LB ???

Also the Tone control on the 4644 is way more than just a tone control.

Its more of an EQ, and will match to your Pickups/Amp, but is certainly capable of Bass/Treble. But wont get muddy at all.

Many of the Mayer pedals have a feature not seen on many pedals.

The only other manufacturer besides Mayer, that Ive seen use what is called a Feed Forward Design, is Pete Cornish.

WHile its capable of Medium Gain Drive.. The 4644 is also capable of being the cleanest clearest, least coloring Drive Ive used.

It makes a Timmy sound like it has a blanket over it.

Visage Will be out in around 1 Month

4644 Drive

Voodoo-1 Classic

Voodoo-Blues

Voodoo-Boost

Concorde+

Spitfire

Kuro Kage
New ! !

Last edited:

JinX78

Smooth, slightly compressed overdrive:

Lovepedal Grey Ghost Super Six
Lovepedal Eternity burst
Hermida Gold Zen II (non tube 2016)
Rockett Blue Note
Barber Compact direct drive on low gain settings

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Get the new Snouse BlackBox for $99.
http://snouse.com/index.html
Hm, never heard os Snouse. Interesting.
If I was going to start over from scratch I'd probably just get a Strymon Riverside and be done with it.

If you're anti-digital, since you already said you like the BB, the Xotic BB Preamp Comp is three great pedals in one!

If you want something great you may not have tried before, the Way Huge Big Llama is awesome.
The BB Comp is definitely a strong contender, haha.

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Amptweaker Tight Drive or Tight Drive Pro.
Source Audio Kingmaker for the most versatile, best sounding digital dirt box I've ever heard.
function f(x) Third Rail.
Caroline Haymaker.
Empress Germ Drive.
Man, the Germ Drive sounds really good. I'll definitely consider that one.

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Only one I played on was the 805. Bit smoother than a TS9/808, a touch more drive, and a great eq section. Sounds great and the price is good for us on tight budgets.
Yeah, it seems like a great pedal. Ideally, I'd like an OD pedal I could use as a standalone OD, as well as one to boost/tighten metal tones.

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
The MXR Custom Badass Modified OD is an amazing pedal. I especially love its 'bump' mode (alternate EQ with low mid push). It also gives you great control over the low end with its 100 HZ knob.
Hm, I'll definitely look into this one.

71strat

Origin Effects is about to come out with some dirt, wait to see if it's what you are looking for

I bet the Origin Drive will be a KILLER Drive.

The Mayer 4644 has the widest frequency response Ive seen in almost any pedal.

It has what is called Ultra Wide Band and has a response of 10Hz-100kHz.

This allows it to work with any instrument, and not lose harmonics, even if you cant hear them. How high can Piccolo harmonics/overtones go ? You may not hear them, but they still make up the character of the sound. And at 10Hz - 100kHz, I don't think the pedal misses much.

Last edited:

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've recently sold some of my OD pedals (Keeley TS9, Fulltone OCD, Xotic BB Preamp) to help recoup some holiday expenses. At some point down the line, I'm looking to get at least one new OD pedal. Although I really liked the three I just listed, I think I want to try something new, even if it's essentially a variant of one of my previous OD pedals (although I could probably be talked into getting another BB). I like smooth, slightly compressed, OD tones that sound well for crunchy rhythm as well as lead.

Do any of you have any thoughts on:

-Seymour Duncan 805
-Xotic RC Booster V2
-Xotic Soul Driven AH (really interested in this one)

Any other thoughts or recommendations?
Xotic drives are a good choice. But I'd replace SD 805 in your list with Chellee Odie Classic.
As for the other options Snouse Blackbox OD 2 is a killer pedal. Easily worth its regular price. For $99 new it's a bargain that's hard to beat.

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
Xotic drives are a good choice. But I'd replace SD 805 in your list with Chellee Odie Classic.
As for the other options Snouse Blackbox OD 2 is a killer pedal. Easily worth its regular price. For $99 new it's a bargain that's hard to beat.
Oh wow, the Chellee OD sounds great!

Trending Topics