Give me your 2c on this Reverb dispute

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by parker_knoll, Apr 12, 2019.

1. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

2. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

Very Good
    Very Good describes items with perhaps a few more cosmetic imperfections than Excellent but is still in great condition overall.

With a Very Good guitar, for example, you might find some scratches, buckle rash, or other minor blemishes but nothing that affects the playability or function of the instrument.

3. parker_knoll

parker_knoll Member

How do you know it was a Japanese one? How can you tell?

4. parker_knoll

parker_knoll Member

I like the guitar. Very hard to find an unbound fingerboard on a hollow body. I hate Strats so tastes vary.

On receipt as confirmed by the courier. Thats if he doesn't claim it was smashed in transit.

5. woof*

woof* Member

6. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

It's been a while, but IMR some combination of label, s/n and hardware.

It was a quality build. Glad I had it. I think tthe Epi Chet went to fund an Eastman El Rey 4, which has turned out to be wonderfully close to Sam's Fantasy Spec.

Good luck with tEpi Chet. It's a truly unique combination of features that is the perfect fit for someone.

7. 67super

67super Supporting Member

The seller should have disclosed the obvious repairs. Clearly not Very Good condition, send it back.

SlyStrat likes this.
  8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

To me you were ripped off. Look at the gobs of stuff he used to hide big dings.
    Unless you got it for free....

9. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

The bigger issue for me would be how does it sound and what is the playability like? If it sounds good and you’re enjoying playing it I’d consider keeping it. But if there are issues there too I’d send it back.

10. Pewtershmit

Pewtershmit Member

Reverb needs an overhaaul with their dispute system. I bought a synth, I had messages confirming with the seller it had had a $500 upgrade done. it arrived and I the upgrade was not done when I confronted the seller he told me despite him being wrong he would not accept a return, and reverb basically said the same after being shown the messages admitting fault and indisputable proof he lied/misrepresented

11. parker_knoll

parker_knoll Member

Use Paypal and you will get your money back as you can use their dispute system.

12. Pewtershmit

Pewtershmit Member

lol. I did, and they were just as unhelpful as I expected.

13. Rococco

Rococco Member

They leaned a bit towards the sellers to get their %, especially when the value is high

14. parker_knoll

parker_knoll Member

I have asked for a fairly handsome rebate via PayPal disputes. If he doesn't like that it goes back.

G.Ham likes this.
  15. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

I looked at the reverb listing and the damage can be easily seen in the pictures, not as clear as your photos but it's obvious the guitar is beat up. I can see why reverb is not taking your side here. I will agree the description is deceptive, that guitar is NOT in good condition. It's in "fair" condition at best. Looks like it led a hard life. I have no idea what guitar values are where you are, but here in the southern USA that guitar would bring $250 to a savvy buyer, $450 to a novice buyer.

If you hate it, return it and eat the costs... consider it tuition to the university of Caveat Emptor.

G.Ham likes this.
  16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Always try to use Reverb before opening a Paypal dispute. Once the Paypal dispute is open Reverb will do nothing else to help you. I have had no issues with having them issue a return shipping label when having to return something.

slap_back05 likes this.
  17. G.Ham

G.Ham Member

How many "Hold my hand while I Reverb" threads will we see this week?

MLaVache likes this.
  18. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

Few things here:

- The listing condition was not accurate. Sellers do this bc they over value their condition and/or they just dont read descriptions. Very Good is a very good condition guitar. This isnt.

- Reverb is GREAT in disputes. Actually I havent come across many shady sellers who just obviously lie but Reverb will refund you based on the condition or description not matching. This clearly doesnt. The seller 100% deceived you by not disclosing this and not listing it.

- You paid via paypal. Was that through Reverb checkout or out of it? This is why I use Reverb checkout. Reverb isnt perfect but the best there is right now. If you just used Paypal then I can see the situation you are in. Paypal is doing you a solid here and you just eat the shipping back, sucks but thats your best option. If you use Reverb checkout and dispute it, Reverb refunds you and makes the seller eat shipping back by providing a label. What I like about this is if he claims shipping damage, its up to him to fight and recover. Where I would actually worry shipping this back is with no case. I dont know how to ship a guitar with no case besides wrapping the hell out of it, then more. But if it were damaged in shipping, no shipping company would say thats acceptable.

19. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

I am curious as to how much effort you actually put into contacting Reverb for resolution. They are almost never useless, and very regularly side with the buyer; but they take their time and are thorough.

If you get it handled through Reverb they almost always take care of return shipping as well. The listing is obviously inaccurate at best or fraudulent at worst, so it's an open/shut case. Isn't one of the Reverb guys on TGP?

MLaVache likes this.
  20. parker_knoll

parker_knoll Member

Hi all

thanks for the responses. I will deal with these latest questions.

To be clear, it's not that Reverb isn't taking my side. They haven't taken anyone's side as they simply haven't been responsive. I've spoken direct to the seller and in the end have chosen to go the Paypal route because I want to see if I can get a better deal than what he's offered me.

Ebaying since 2001 and buying guitars a while longer that I'm well schooled, don't worry. If you look at the OP you'll see I did specifically contact the guy to ask about damage on the upper bout. He said there was none, which was obviously not very straight. That's me doing the "caveat" part of "caveat emptor" but it doesn't work every time.

Yes, this I didn't do as it's the first time I've had a dispute on there.

I used Reverb checkout but went initially to Paypal when the seller wasn't meeting me re. shipping. He actually brought Reverb in who sent me an email. I replied that I was trying to get the return shipping covered and I'd be happy but they never replied after that. I sent them a couple of other prompts and booked a phone call which didn't materialise.

See my answer to cap17 above. They contacted me after I had already flagged the item up on Paypal but then disappeared. Possibly I shouldn't have done it that way, but after many years using Paypal I trust them and they do at least earn their fees in their dispute resolution, the fact you can get them on the phone etc. We'll see what happens.