Give me your fave 212 speaker mix

bushmill

Silver Supporting Member
Just as it says....What do you like and what amp/cab are you using...I am on the hunt for some speakers and like to hear what others are using...
Cheers!

telewacker

I have a pair of 55 watt Guytron Big Tones that are my favorite so far out of the few speakers I've owned.

Weber P12ns
Old Jensen P12Ns (these are my favorites for Fender amps)
Celestion Blackbacks (next favorite after the Big Tones)
V30s
G12h30s
Greenbacks
Red Fangs
Weber ceramic blue Dog

I have an Eminence Man'O'War that I've yet to try.

Norjef

Still swear by 1/3 open-back Rivera 2-12" with Weber California AND Michigan--Beamblocked and set vertically.

Clean and non-metal dirty. Comparing to EVM 12L and S, Celestion V30, MC90, Rivera T85, Eminence Delta Pro.

Late 70's Schecter Koa Strats and Teles and Walnut Strats loaded with Kinman Strat 56, 62 and Tele 60 p/u match well. Jeff

overture2005

I'm using two 2x12 cabs. Dr. Z Z-best(G12H & V30) and MESA recto vertical 2x12(2xV30).
The bass response in the Z-best is to die for! It has warmer highs, punchier mids, harmonic richness and so much clarity. It's a little on the darker sounding side of things, the overall sound is huge and very 3D sounding. This is by far the best 2x12 I've ever tried.
To compare with my mesa recto vertical 2x12 side by side, the recto sounds muddy, kinda harsh and lacks bass response. I thought the V30 was too focused in upper mids and a bit boxy on the low registers, not my cup of tea I have to let it go.
I am very interested in the THD 2x12, very smooth and balance sounding. I am saving for this blonde now.
I heard lots of good things about the Governer. John Suhr said it was sweet crisp and made his CAA 2x12 sound like his old marshall 4x12. The governer had MORE clarity less flabby and was tighter for aggressive rock. Rounder bigger bottom end. Sounds cool, I will give a try.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
A Weber 30w Blue alnico paired up with another Weber 30w blue! Closely followed by almost any Fane, but they're even better in a 412 Hiwatt cab...

Macaroni

My new favorites are, a Fane AXA12 with a Scholz 12" (new version), and a Fane AXA12 with the Two Rock 12-65. They're all in antique pine Bob Burt custom cabinets. Stunning!

Tomo

Bob Burt V-front Cab (2 12 cab)

Eminence's Tonespotter.

Plus my Fuchs 50 SLX ,they are great!
I love them.

Tonespotter Fuchs50 OD ES335 solo
67' ES335's rear pickup, guitar vol 8.
Fuchs 50 SLX OD CH.

I also use other speakers. The Governors,
The Red White & Blues, the Red Ryders...

Tomo

PlexiBreath

So what is it the Big Tones have to offer above other takes on the vintage Celestions? Looks like a tempting speaker to try, and not all that expensive compared to some of the stuff out there.
Kelley

Mike

Not a "mix". 2 Tonespotters. Might try a TS and a Tonker, or a TS and a TR 65.... But a Tonespotter's gotta be in there somewhere!

Mike

Stevo57

Celestion Alnico Blue and a G12H30 are good, but if the g12H30 is a Scumback 55HZ then it's GREAT! I'd love tor try some fane alnicos sometime too.

Mike

Tell me about the Tonespotter.
John, I'm not good with words here.

They are similar to my favorite G12H30 Anniversary's, except they have more character/girth in the upper mids. Rated at 75 watts. I love Tonkers for the low/mid punch and late breakup, (rated at 150 watts) but the Tonespotters are very lively and textural.

Keep in mind that my applications are 6L6 master volume. How would they mate to a Transatlantic?? Not sure, Amigo! C'mon down, let's make some noise!

Mike

PlexiBreath

Originally posted by ToneGurus
John, I'm not good with words here.

They are similar to my favorite G12H30 Anniversary's, except they have more character/girth in the upper mids. Rated at 75 watts. I love Tonkers for the low/mid punch and late breakup, (rated at 150 watts) but the Tonespotters are very lively and textural.

Keep in mind that my applications are 6L6 master volume. How would they mate to a Transatlantic?? Not sure, Amigo! C'mon down, let's make some noise!

Mike
Sounds like a cool speaker! It seems like an interesting new lineup of speakers these days for me to try. There's the Tonespotter, the Scumback, Governers and Guytron BigTone. The Transatlantic likes most speakers except the newer Celestion Blue and the like. I'm real happy with my 10 year old broken in V30 G12H mix 2 x 12", but it's fun to try things new.

Yeah, it would be fun to come down and make some noise and play with loud toys!

Kelley

Tomo

I have tried many speakers.

Swamp Thang, Tonker, Governor, Red White & Blues,
Red Fang, Screaming Eagle, Texas Heat, Private Jack,
Stonehenge, Wizard, Red Ryder...

All great speakers, but my favorite is

Tonespotter, because it's so open, not to much
anything, just so even. Nice top end and bottom end.
Great for my funk rhythm, jazz, blues. I just love
that natural tone.

Tonespotter Version R Sakashta Walking
SRV Strat FastSwingGroove
Tone Spotter SRV ST Clean to CJOD

These clips are.... Eminence 's the Screaming Eagle &
the Texas Heat mix.

Just funky - clean to CJOD

Just Funky - solo with CJOD

Tomo

Trending Topics