GIve me your input on different el34's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cr8z4life, Aug 14, 2004.

1. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

I own a few el 34 based amplifiers and I am entering the world of trying different tubes. I wanted opinions on the different brands and which ones you guys like the best ....

Mullards
    Siemens
    Groove Tube
    JJ 's

ETC..... I am curious about what I have heard about the mullards and siemens and know they are expensive but I want to pick up a couple of different sets so if they are worth it I wouldnt be opposed to spending some $$ Let me know what you guys think......thanks in advance

2. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

I like JJ in general. Definitely check their E34L to add a different flavor to the EL34 - which is also good. The E34L has a bit more Fender shine to it, but with a nice controlled fart-less bass. I use a pair in my SonicCord Bantam. Nothing else.

I experiment more with my Electrosonic amp- - which takes a single EL34 so its easier to try weird brands without worrying about matched pairs and $. I really like the ElectroHarmonix EL34 - though I'm sure it's just a relabled something else. I do hav a single vintage Mullard--forget what specs--and its very smooth and nice--and yes, expensive.

Kropotkin tubes in VA is a nice source for tubes and snooping around for ideas.

Good hunting.

3. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

I have a Plexi modded Traynor, I have Ruby EL34's ( I think made by Svetlana) in her. I tried the J~J E34L's. They sounded good but muffled. Like I had a blanket on my amp. She lost her edge. I switched back to the Ruby's.

4. goneracin

goneracin Member

Mullards, Telefunkens, etc are the cream of the crop. for reasonable priced NOS try the siemens, they sound very good. Also, if you are looking at mullard price range, try Sylvania big bottle 6ca7's. Rumored to be EVH tube of choice.
    For current production stuff, I really like the "winged c" SED el34's. More vintage sounding than the others. I agree with weldaaf, I didnt care for the jj's in my 50 watt marshall, but thats just my .02, I know a lot of people like them.
    Bob

5. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

The current production EH 6CA7 is nice too. I'd call 'em warmer and smoother than reg'lar EL34. 'Course they ain't Sylvanias, but they don't cost like Sylvanias either.

6. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

weldaaf ? Thanx Bob :jo

7. goneracin

goneracin Member

Sorry Jeff. Sometimes I think Id have better luck typing with my elbows.....:D

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got:
    Siemens: apparently don't like high plate voltages, but in the right amp have a very sweet sound with early breakup.

Mullard: harsher, but more hardy and great sounding fully distorted tone. This is the sound Rock n Roll was built on.

GE (Britain) Big Bottles-stock in my 71 SL, I think more clean overhead than a lot of EL34s, very hard hitting, more like a KT77 or KT88.

9. cr8z4life

Well- I figured it is worth trying lots of stuff in the new Barber Echelon I bought since it is made for tube swapping so here was my shopping list:

Electr Harmonics el34 eh
    Ruby str el34b
    JJ le34l
    shuguang 6l6
    shuguang kt 66
    groove tubes el34 r2
    electro harmonics 6ca7s

This should keep me busy for a while checking out some tones!!

10. rjgtr

rjgtr Member

Of new production, I personally prefer SED (winged C) EL34s. I also like the JJs, but they are harder to drive than the SED. The EH and Sovtek (both from the Reflektor factory) just don't excite me. They are rugged though.

6CA7s are to EL34s what KT66s are to 6L6s. 6CA7s are more mid scooped and American sounding than EL34s. Its a good sound for cleaner playing.

11. Mark C

Mark C Member

Another vote for SED here. Mullards rock, but who wants to take out a second mortgage for a set of tubes.

12. cr8z4life

Interesting findings....... for the Barber...of the el34's I went back and forth quite a few times......it liked the electro harmonics best!! It also liked the sovtech 12ax7's best. Second was the jj's third the groove tubes ( they tend to be a little tighter not as loose and well rounded ......now my Aiken Intruder was completely different - I wound up with the JJ's in that one....I put GT 12ax7's in it also......

Then it got interesting when I pulled the el34's out of the Barber and put in 6l6's......and then tried the kt 66's! I think I am do to write a review on the Echelon when I get a chance......this amp is absolutely unbelievable.....