Giving In to Modeler GAS

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by BSHARP, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I recently purchased a G3 and it has joined company with the Ultra and the GSP1101. Now I find myself GASing for a Kemper and a GT-100. Is that rational? I have no interest in selling the ones I have and suddenly I discovered that I may be a collector of Modelers. I Know many TGPers have collections of Amps, Pedals and Guitars and that all seems like accepted rational behavior. Is collecting modelers the new norm? It seems I am heading in that direction and so are a few others on this forum. I find all this stuff very inspiring and frankly, I love it.

2. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL Member

I dunno, i usually a/b until one clearly sounds better. Only reason some units are kept is if its form factor is ideal in my rig (pod hd until hq floorboard comes in vein of axe/kemper) - but those need to still be inspiring to play, not lacking like i felt the gsp and rps were imo

Buying the ultra would make me want to sell the gsp, unless you have a rig requiring a 1u modeller.

3. fakeox

fakeox Member

Strokes for folks;)

4. slagg

slagg Member

seems to be were I'm heading these day's

5. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

If I won the lotto, I would buy them all..!! Hell, I might 2 of everything!! hahahah

6. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Take the KEMPER and model the ULTRA and sell it!!!!!!!! :rotflmao

7. birdie_in_texas

I have had to sell everything of any value that I had...
    If I was rich like that, I would never sell anything again....if I did win the lotto, I would give things away and spread the cheer..try to pay it forward like my unknown benefactor from TGP here that sent me the G3 just so I could have something to play..

Wish I could thank the person at least..

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

If you can afford it why not?

There's no better way to decide which one(s) you like best than to be able to compare them for yourself.

Go for it! :aok

9. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I have patches on the GSP that are stellar. Same with the Ultra. I enjoy them all. I forgot to mention The cool metal stuff on the VYPYR. No reason to sell any of them.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Not me, I can't stand having stuff around that is not being used. I also can't afford to keep everything I own, usually one in / one out rule in my homestead. I can see keeping the G3 around as a fantastic backup or to be used in front of a higher priced modeler instead of relying on a midi floorboard and having to configure midi. I'm actually considering that option right now. A G3 new (on sale) is only slightly more expensive than a USED Rocktron midimate, runs on batteries, USB, has a wealth of stomp box FX (dare I say on par with most of the higher priced modeling options?).

11. seranance

seranance Member

The KPA isn't a modeller.

12. birdie_in_texas

If it isn't a modeler, then what the heck is it?:huh

A "copier"..?

13. seranance

seranance Member

Xerox for amps. :)

In a broad sense it could be thought of as a modeller but since the term modelling has become specific to musical instruments it's taken as being based upon algorithmic component modelling. The KPA uses a different approach. I'd just call it what Kemper call it - a profiling amp. So, a profiler not a modeller.

14. birdie_in_texas

I have not ever seen one in person, and they call it an "amp"..but it does not have any power output does it?

15. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Not yet, coming up next. The mounting hole in the back with all the screws is there to accommodate for a power amp module.