Giving Up On Solderless Once And For All

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, May 28, 2019.

1. Shadowfax2112

Shadowfax2112 Member

I see, still prefer soldered. From their product page they are using solid inner conductor which is susceptible to breakage if bent too many times. Ground connection is still press fit against the side. Twice bitten (George L, Lava) not spending hundreds of dollars more to try the next great thing. Built my pedalboard 2 years ago and still solid. All soldered connections. I would be leery using these on a board I change often but maybe they're great. I'll never know :)

Honch and fitzo like this.
  2. NoGlassNoClass

NoGlassNoClass Member

I have experienced this with the Lavas as well. Zero issues with them for several years, then the last time I went to rearrange a few things on my board two of the ends failed just as you describe. I switched everything over to the Disaster Area EVOs and so far so good. Several board changes (I try not to abuse them as with any other cable) and no failures/ noise/ issues. I wholeheartedly recommend them but I agree... first one takes a sh*t on the stage and its all soldered.

fitzo likes this.
  3. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

I built a few decent pedalboards over the years. Sounded killer but it was always please not tonight! Which one of you betrayed me!
    Dumped it all & went FX8, then eventually Kemper. I have enough issues trying to pull off my guitar work without being patch cable anxious all the time.

Honch likes this.
  4. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

I think completely different? My point was that the skill of the operator is really important no matter what kind of cables you're using.

Nothing's perfect. We do our best, and I'm glad you like the cables.

5. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I think switchers do get you part of the way there. If you have one bad cable, it will only affect a single loop with (probably) just one pedal. That's way better than an entire board going down due to one pedal somewhere being bad in that long series chain.

6. NoGlassNoClass

NoGlassNoClass Member

Oh I love 'em. Will continue to use them for as long as they last. They are easy to build, sound good and are 100% reliable so far. And to be fair, if one were do fail in rehearsal or in the studio so what I'll fix it. On the stage it would prob make me flip out but I have no reason to not trust them. No backups haha

7. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

See if this makes sense. My natural state is loyal customer of small businesses like yours. If you get it above a certain level it would be enough for me and others to take over. I have a sense for the many discussions IMO, given my science background. You dont need to "say this or that", just get it to a solid and level place that is technically sustainable (who cares about rhetorically) and your customers will be happy to climb in that foxhole all day. I dont need to believe "this or that" to like your cables, and neither does anyone else. It's not politics or religion, it is science. If we limit what eminently reasonable people can say the crazies will be very easy to handle, and I would gladly help. IMO you are closer already than many like you, not as much "hype". But things are maybe not yet quite perfect. There was one thread in particular where I felt helpless without you. I am confident in myself to help against all comers if we can internally get solid even once. You could gracefully do it, because you are not that far. I have to know what I am defending and why, where the waters edge is etc. To just have a consistent and solid position is not optional for me personally. But with that we could sell these for you all day. It's not too late to distinguish your brand that way as you are almost there seemingly. I can't make more sense here without talking personally. I can debate science with a room of PhDs easily if I can internally feel prepared. You dont have to negate anything from the past, just go from here. For example, even if there were things that are somewhat opinion (known unknowns etc) I can still be clear about that and speak confidently. I can sell anything I believe in once I get solid. Otherwise I either have to shut up, be honest, etc... Right now the story is not quite where it needs to be on my end anyhow. My intentions are to help you. Eventually the wrong story can get too dominant to fix. Now you are in a decent position IMHO.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I still wonder what the capacitance is of EA and EBS cables.

urQuill, Honch and fitzo like this.
  9. Bobby Brown

Bobby Brown Member

I like the planet waves solderless cables, built like a tank and sparkling sounding. They tend to color the sound a little bit, but in the good way...
    I use them on pedalboards and guitars.

10. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

The arguments against the solderless cables are getting worse as the thread progresses. Truly impressive. I thought the airplane argument would be hard to top. “If solderless cables are so great then why do pedals have solder inside?”. “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” Is this real life?

11. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I never had a cable fail. I still use George L's instrument cable and I've had these since they first came out. Never failed. I stupidly followed TGP "George L's pedalboard cables aren't cool anymore". I wish I had them back. Oh you Gear Page. Why I ottuh.

12. Alejandro

Alejandro Silver Supporting Member

LOL! I, ve using Mogami Boss patch cables since 80's.
    [​IMG]

So far, so..:p

woof* likes this.
  13. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

HAHA! That's what I meant!!

14. BadHiwatt

BadHiwatt Member

The circuits on an airplane are grounded to the chassis. Your lack of understanding on what a ground is is laughable.

Also, you seem more passionate than most on this topic, do you have a horse in the race?

Finally, I have tried a few different brands of soldered and solderless and love the Lava system. It may be more difficult to build than George L, but easier than soldering. In the years that I have used them, I have not had a failure. In fact, I have had more soldered cables fail than lava failures.

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  15. Furious George

Furious George Member

I have a whole bunch of solderless cables and whether or not it's pilot error or not, I've had the odd failure. Can I simply upgrade my solderless cables by adding solder? I have both George L and Lava.

16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Those are for the angle plugs. They do make a positive difference. Though calling em stress reliefs is confusing.

hunter

17. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I presume the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" crowd obtains their cables by traveling to the local guitar shop in a covered wagon.

BearBryan likes this.
  18. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

It would seem like those are what keeps the screw-in connector from moving in response to abrasion from other items in your case or whatever. They also keep the metal connector, which has a knurled edge to promote easy turning by hand, from scratching other things which may be nearby.

19. kriko71

kriko71 Member

You might want to consider the SPS5's. They're straight plugs with a relatively short body.

CarlGuitarist and twilt like this.
  20. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Capacitance meters don't cost much.... less than some of those high-end 20' cables we all talk about.
    I've got two, but I have none of those high-end cables, so I cannot answer your question.

BTW, there may be as much capacitance (or more) in each connector as there is in a meter of cable.... yet you never hear anyone talking about that.
    If one really wants to know the capacitance contributed by a guitar/pedal cable, it's always best to meter the entire assembly... but that'll never happen here.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Flatscan likes this.