Giving Up

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Michael_V, May 1, 2016.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Man, I really think the longer I play, the worse I get. I don't understand it. I was so effortlessly musical when I was younger. Not that old now but I feel like I've lost my guitar mojo. Completely. It's just dead. Really about ready to just sell the amps, guitars, and pedals and get on with my life. Music is no longer satisfying. Not sure what I expect from posting. Maybe others have felt the same way? Or have a solution?

MustardCap and MrLahey like this.
  2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

sure. i had dead time from 1998 to 2003. it coincided with a rough time in my life. sometimes life can get in the way of...enjoying life. music is a big part of my "canary in a coal mine" indication if something is stressing me out. heck, i even sold my one and only electric guitar back then, convinced i would never play again.

well i was wrong. things get better. and i revisited guitar songs that i enjoyed and just tried to play them. revitalized my approach to music, plus i got into a bunch of new music that i really enjoyed. things happen in waves.

3. murph7489

murph7489 Member

Yup, ride it out brother, I had the same thing happen to me, I think about it a lot even still. Some days I can't play worth a crap then other days I feel like jimi hendrix, ( not really that great) but it goes in waves for me. I just put the guitar down and go do something else, it will beckon you back like an old friend waiting for your return.

jpervin and Lef T like this.
  4. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I know you may think that someone will show up and revoke your man-card.... but have you considered taking lessons? you might find some helpful instruction gives you new tools to create with, and that opens new worlds of music to you.

you would be amazed at the BIG NAME pro's who go take lessons when they get off tour for that reason alone - to learn new tricks and techniques to fire up their imagination.

84superchamp, Drumnbum, ford and 2 others like this.
  5. efnikbug

efnikbug Member

I think I'm there now. To make things worse, I have all this gear I don't use. I don't know if I'm experiencing a low though. I am considering selling my gear little by little to relieve myself of some guilt and free up some space. It's too bad, I used to love love love guitar: playing it, reading about it, hunting for gear, etc.

84superchamp and MrLahey like this.
  6. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I find playing different styles of music with different people keeps things fresh for me and makes me a better player. I'm not a shredding king, but I get a little better each year and I never tire of playing.

Peace,

Madsen, sanrico, Fred Farkus and 3 others like this.
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

It happens to all of us to some degree at one time or another. Put it down for awhile or step outside of your normal genre/routine. Study theory or learn to sight read if you don't already. Buy a keyboard or piano or some other instrument. You'll get in your groove again sooner or later.

wickedcookie, lp_bruce and Cal Webway like this.
  8. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

All the above. Take a break.
    Don't beat yourself up.

TheTones, Madsen, A-Bone and 2 others like this.
  9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Taking a step back can help sometimes and I like the idea of tinkering with other instruments.

Peace,

A-Bone, wickedcookie and Floyd Eye like this.
  10. Campfired

Campfired Member

Sure, we all get stuck in ruts sometimes. If you're finding not as much enjoyment playing guitar now, set your guitar aside for a while and find something else that provides you with enjoyment. (Workshop, kitchen, household or home improvement building projects, etc...)

You'll easily see that using your hands in a worthwhile way will provide you with the needed enjoyment that will provide you with exercise, and the sense of accomplishment once you've completed a project. This will help you feel better, too, because sometimes a non-productive session of music playing doesn't always produce good feelings.

Know when to use your time, energy and resources to your best ability, and spend some quality time with your family and friends when you're not working on projects. Don't take on too much at one time, and learn to prioritize so that easy projects can be handled in little time, and more difficult ones receive the correct amount of time spent on them.

A-Bone likes this.
  11. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

This.

Be kind to yourself....admit your human....just like the rest of us....I quit playing for about four years at one point....got interested in other things,....when I decided to break out the gear again....I felt fresh...it was "new" to me again....and the ideas flowed.

jpervin, Madsen and A-Bone like this.
  12. gigs

gigs Member

Go read a book about something you think you would have no interest in.

supergenius365 likes this.
  13. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Silver Supporting Member

This, for me, big time. Finding other people to play with, especially playing different styles than I'm used to or have been playing. It feels a bit unfamiliar and maybe even uncomfortable at first, and of course the awkwardness associated with getting to know new people in a musical sense, learning their styles and learning to mesh with eachother.

That awkwardness and sense of being a bit lost helps jump start my musical brain and helps me move in different directions and play stuff that sounds and feels much more fresh. I find that, for me, the feeling of going nowhere and being stuck in a rut often goes hand in hand with getting entrenched in very specific styles, and as a result just hearing myself playing the same things over and over again.

Also beng able to just put down the guitar when I notice I'm perpetually uninspired, and leave it alone for days, maybe even weeks. Something always pulls me back to it, and just letting that happen - letting myself stumble onto some kind of inspiration, without forcing it or trying to push it - can also be a huge help. Having other hobbies is a boon in this regard.

lp_bruce likes this.
  14. m@2

m@2 Member

Not sure if someone mentioned this but... pick up a NEW instrument. I've done this a few times and it really reignited my passion for music. I also think studying and learning other people's music can have a similar effect. It forces you to learn a new style and that will inspire you to adapt your own style.

15. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

OP, how old are you?

I went through a few similar periods. Opted to play other instruments like bass and piano or focus on acoustic and a different style of playing. It always rejuvenated my love for playing music. I'd then come back to electric guitar playing with a fresh and motivated attitude. Worked every time.

16. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Or even find the right online course or skype lessons if you can't find someone you want to learn from locally.

17. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I will be 49 this month but this has been brewing for about two years now. Dwindling passion and ability somehow. For music haha. Everything else works fine! ;) I just put about $5000 worth of equipment in the attic. Might pick up an acoustic guitar.

Lessons is a good idea. That could do some good too.

18. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Michael

I am going through the same feeling except on pedal steel guitar.
    I have about $2500.00 invested in the guitar, amp, pack a seat, and more.
    But today I decided to go out of my comfort zone.
    I was invited to go to a pedal steel guitar jam here in Portland Oregon. 25 really good players and me ( a hack after 6 years)
    But..I was fortunate enough to be next to a friend who I just knew from FB .. a longtime lap and pedal steel player.
    He gave me some great advice, and complimented me on my tone.

I couldn't stay for the whole jam ( had another sound training meeting I had to go to.)
    But my point is this: don't be afraid to try something new, go to a few jams, and go for it.

All of the steel players here in Portland are great guys. A few of them even remembered me, which was great.

Hope you don't give up on your music.

Turi likes this.
  19. headpond

headpond Member

Drop by, I'll smoke you out.

:bong

Totally Bored likes this.
  20. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

An acoustic guitar is a completely different animal than an electric. Listen to some Tommy Emmanuel to hear what the possibilities are. It might inspire you. It's a gorgeous sound and there are loads of great possibilities with the acoustic beyond playing cowboy chords.

As a tip, when I wanted to buy an acoustic, I looked at everything under the sun up to 1K. Even after playing Martins, Taylors, and all sorts of more recognizable brand names, I ended up buying a Seagull S6. At a little less than half of my 1K limit, it turned out to be the best sounding and easiest to play acoustic I tested. Took a couple of weeks to make my choice, but I'm more than happy with it. Replace the strings with Martin SP and it sounds heavenly. The types of strings make a big difference. Do NOT buy the SP+ strings. They sounded dull and lifeless.