Gjika Shawn Lane amp is back!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ian Anderson, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

Bob has built the first one in about 25 years or so.

The monster single ended Stereo power amp has 8 EL34 tubes and puts out around 70 watts each side. It is driven by the separate pre amp unit and if I understand this correctly it has 3 separate gain stages operate off different places of the circuit and can be turned on and off individually. He explains this in the video. This is the amp Bob designed 30 years ago and was adopted by Shawn Lane and has become known as the Shawn Lane Amp.

This thing is a behemoth with it's Godzilla smashing through Tokyo bass, guttural, churning mids and it's 3 dimensionally huge single ended harmonics. I've not heard anything quite like this!

Just look at the size of that power transformer!

Bob himself was shocked by this thing since it's been so many years since he's played through one. He goes on to explain a little about the amp in the video. I hope he gets some more video before it goes out and gives a little more history and information on these and his time with Shawn.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    logdrum likes this.
  2. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Member

the link isn't working for me

3. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

4. earthmud

earthmud Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow! That amp sounds beyond huge. The perfect bedroom amp. Very cool video. That amp could kill a small man.

5. gtwannabe

gtwannabe Member

Holy buckets, that thing is huge! Anyone know how many watts that is?

6. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

Check the size of that power transformer. That's how you light up 8 EL34s! And the otput transformer looks to be about the size of a normal power transformer. I'm not sure on the wattage. Conventional wisdom tells me 200 Watts but the thing here is it's single ended tone with massive power. Towards the middle of the video you can hear it clean and with the various gain stages of the preamp kicked in and out.

[​IMG]

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  7. phalanges

phalanges Member

Muy grande.
    I was really impressed with his tweed amps a couple years ago at the Amp Show.
    Congratulations and may the cartage be with you.

8. parker

parker Member

Gjika is one of my favorite amp designers! Always thinking outside the box... I love the way his amps sound, he definitely has his own thing happening, and is not content with churning a clone of something. I also think his KT77 amp (I believe it was) might be one of the best sounding newer amps of the last decade!

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Wow, every time I hear a demo of his stuff I'm left totally starry eyed in amazement.

Will never be able to justify buying one but still.... Yowza.

10. jujube

jujube Member

Huge sound even through this informal recording.

11. effectsman

effectsman Member

That is the biggest sounding amp clip on You Tube, especially of a Strat, that I've ever heard.

I think it could be used in war to shake the enemies buildings to pieces! I won't be buying one as my grab' n' go for gigs!

12. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

Pretty cool, sounds great etc. Not my sound as there wasn't much in the way of clean per se, but I have to ask....who has use for this type of thing? Bonomassa?

13. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Member

That sounds really good, and that power transformer is bigger the one that was in my 300W Fender Super Bassman head. I'm guessing the power is somewhere in the ballpark of between 60-80W. Is that about right? I wonder where he got those transformers, or if had them made (that seems more likely).

14. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

it's moving so much air even the slats on the vertical blinds are moving :eeks

15. thegame

thegame Member

Sick and beautiful at the same time.

16. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

are there any good resources for info about his amps?

17. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Other than a few guys on this site Garbud (Gary Higgins-sp?) , and Lance Keltner, Mark Kane, and a few guys in Burlington,VT that carried his amps(friends of his I believe) , your best bet is the google search and although there's info there's not a huge amount. There IS info though. . Eric

18. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Very interesting amp. For whatever reason I'm usually not all too geeked about new amps unless it's something unusual and unique like this. Very cool!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  19. Cream Fan

Cream Fan Member

I worked with Bob back in 1990, building these amps side-by-side. There's never been anything else like this amp, but he's also come a long way as a designer, learning and refining his designs over the years to deliver what I consider to be the epitome of tone.

I own two of his newer KT66 heads: the 40-watt model with the normal Treble, Middle, Bass, Presence tonestack and his newer 50-watt one that has Volume, Tone, Presence and two mini switches. One switch defeats the negative feedback loop, while the other is a bright switch. Coupled with his Gainmaster pedal (which is what you're hearing through the Shawn Lane amp at the beginning of the video) and you have killer tone at any volume.

Are they pricey? Depends upon one's point of view. These new "Direct Coupled" amps are true Point-to-Point wired--with no boards--and are built to last a lifetime of playing. To me, in this disposable age we live in, this is worth every penny.

GuitarNorton and manicompression like this.
  20. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

It is a stereo amp notice the two output transformers. Bob says it puts out about 70 watts per side. He has the transformers and choke made to his specifications they are not off the shelf parts