Glaswerks 50, need your help assembling the ultimate pedal board!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Miles Long, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Hello all, I am sooo excited about this amp and what better place than here to get your opinions on the ultimate pedalboard for this amp. Pedals I already have that I may or may not keep are Teese RMC 3, Keely comp, Ross comp and an Analgman TS9 silver mod, Q-tron, and A Digitech XP100 whammy wah. I play in a jam band and never have had the funds till now for great pedals and a new board. I already have an Analog Man loop and ab switcher, I usually keep the Whammy and Boss tuner in the loop. The Q-tron sounds great but I think that it is a tone sucker, An Emma may be an option. I have an old Ibanez AD-9 that sounds like **** for some reason, it is prolly not true -bypass either, I have 2 expectations for Delay, one is to fatten my leads for EJ or Gilmoresque leads and again with all the reccomendations, transparent non tone sucking ability. The second need is for spacey trippy sounds like a spaceship or UFO type of thing, I think two delays are needed. A Phaser that handles clean and gain will be needed to, will that make the need for a 'vibe unnecessary? As far as od, the amp already has a mid boost and od boost, the only thing I can think of that I might need is A Marshally type of od for legato shreddy stuff. The natural gain of the amp is a thing of beauty already, I am only thinking of versatility. Also, will adding the Ross or Keely be needed or not? Or a better compressor maybe? Last but not least, the best cables and pedal board, I was thinking Evidence Audio and A Trailer Trash board? Anyway, I can't wait to hear what y'all think, thanks, Marc...:rotflmao

2. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Oh yeah, the best order of running all these would be great, I was also thinking of getting a VHT Valvalator or a better buffer to prevent further tone suckage, thanks!

3. p.snail

p.snail Member

Allright I'll take a crack at this. The Teese Wah is a good pedal, so you don't really need to replace that one. The Qtron is one of those things that if you really like it then just put in a loooper or something. No sense in getting rid of a cool pedal just because it's not true bypass. The Analogman TS9 is a good pedal, but I personally prefer and own the Homebrew Electronics Powerscreamer. More range and flexibility. The built in boost makes it more like 2 OD's in one. I tried the Analogman TS9 and the Keeley TS9 and went with the HBE instead. Planet waves is now making a pedal tuner that is fairly inexpensive that is true bypass. I plan on replacing my TU-2 with that as soon as I have the funds. For the more Marshally stuff I would run a Menatone King of the Britains, I personally like the simplicity of the 5 knob, but they're all great. Handmade, true bypass etc., etc. Now the delay thing. I personally don't like or have a use for analog delay. I don't feel like it provides enough of an atmosphere to what you are playing. Delay is the one and only effect where I completely prefer digital. The Line 6 DL4 is as good a delay as you can get. You won't need two of them because you have 3 settings to toggle between, plus it will do some looping. Did I mention that it's true bypass? Totally worth it and it does the work 3 analog units, plus you get digital quality and transparency. In order: PW tuner>Teese wah> Keeley compressor> HBE Powerscreamer> Menatone KOB> Foxrox> Modulation?> DL4> amp. Just my opinion. Pedal board I couldn't tell ya. Cables - well if you buy into the hype then Monster is really expensive. I just use planet waves cables. There affordable and durable and carry a great warranty as well. Hope this was helpful.

4. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks man! The line 6 my old rhythm player used and it def fit the criteria for the spacey sounds but how is it for distorted signals? The RMC 3 must need some tweaking, it doesn't handle high gain well, maybe it needs help or it is ill, lol. I was thinking an Area 51 or a picture wah, I'm just not the most inclined one to build a kit, lol. Will the Menatone pedal do harmonically rich legato shred stuff, not metal, more VH kinda stuff? Thanks!

5. p.snail

p.snail Member

I'm strictly going by Teese's reputation. I don't have one so I can't tell you which one is right. I do know that if you think you need a new wah the HBE Medicine Bawl is the shiz. You can get it with a Yellow or Red Fasel. Yellow is Vintage, Red is Modern. Great with hi gain. My next wah pedal for sure. I've never had a problem with the DL4 and high gain. It's pretty flexible and the models are based on cool vintage units, but in digital:AOK . I think L6 is the best for modelling period. They started it and do it better than anyone else IMHO. The KOB is not a Heavy Metal OD. It's very Marshally. Think Hot Rodded Plexi, so I think it would work great for the EVH type stuff. Someone told me it was based on the Marshall Guvnor pedal. My only thing is that the Guvnor sounds like ass and the KOB doesn't:) . Great choice of amp by the way.

6. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks so much, I'll update as the gear arrives, clips too! Any other opinions welcome, I'm off to check out the HBE wah, I'm freakin' obsessed, lol!

7. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Line 6 pedals suck tone big time while they're off,I had a DL-4(and I still have the FM-4 and MM-4) and plugged it in the loop of my Fuchs and I could hear the tone suckage immediately when I turned it off-Marc, you know and you heard it yourself-the T-Rex replica is the ****!The T-Rex is the only pedal I need and use in the loop of my Fuchs with the occasioanl RMC WoF wah in the front.As far as booster,overdrives,I'm sure that with the Glas amp you won't need any.I have the AC & RC boosters, a Barber Tone Press and a Analog Man modded Maxon SD-9 and I've never felt compelled to use them with my Fuchs.Perhaps you'll need some time-based/modulation and filtering effects but other than that I doubt it.Good luck,though!

Vlad

8. Deaj

Deaj Member

Hi Miles,

If you're planning on getting a dedicated buffer I'd suggest taking a serious look at the Barber Launch Pad. It's far more transparent than the Valvulator or the Axess buffers. Nothing active is truly 100% transparent but the LP is about as close as you'll find to your original signal. It also preserves dynamics wonderfully. I tried the Valvulator and the Axess - both colored the signal too much for my tastes.

You should definitely check the LP out. Check your PM :)

9. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

If you have tone suckers on your board there is a solution known as the Union Station made by one of our fellow TGP'ers... Check this link...

http://www.pedalboardjunction.com/

I just bought pedal #2 and am wiring it up into the board once my pumaboard shows up...

Oh yeah, check out pumaboards - Kevin will make up just about anything you want!

If you are like me and are a fickle pedal owner make sure you go with velcro top to make changes easier...

10. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks Vlad, the T-rex is definately in, I just need some trippy Delay/Modulation, doesn't sound like the Line 6 will be a good example?

11. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

The Union Station looks too cool for school, thanks for filling me in, checking out he puma board now...

12. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Pm sent , thanks Deaj, very cool of you! :AOK

13. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I have a Barber Burn Unit EQ that I currently use with my Fuchs ODS30SLX. I really like it because it can be used to very mildly increase the punch of the amp w/out changing the amps voice too much. It has two levels of OD, so it allows four very usefl levels of progessively more aggressive OD from the Fuchs and lets the Fuchs still sound like it should. I know Dave Barber builds his pedals with high quality parts and I can detect virtually no difference between having the pedal off and leaving it out. This pedal makes an already great amp even that much more verstaile. The Glaswerks MAY not benefit as much as the Fuchs... but they are both D clones... so it might be worth a try. Not an inexpensive pedal... but you get what you pay for.

14. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Delay for fattening up sounds, something like a dd-3 modded to sound more real and not so digital (i think both keeley and AM do them). You'll need about 200-300 ms of delay with a few repeats and some E level (mix)
    hope that helps

Aj

15. Stopgo

Stopgo Member

I play very similiar types of music as you and basically our pedal board needs are very similiar. I've gotten to be pretty happy with my current setup so here we go:

wah- Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, used to have the RMC3 and could never find a setting that I liked (and I tried alot!). The Clyde is so versatile, so I can funk with clean and dirty tones and not have to worry about my wah soundling like mud or nails on a chalkboard.

od- Zendrive for creamy leads and an AnalogMan ts-9 for rythme . . . though I;ve been thinking about dropping the ts-9 cause the Zen can do it with a little flick of the guit volume.

vibe- Micro Vibe, doesn't knco my socks off but cannot find anything better, not to demean the pedal as it really does sound good, but it ain't no Zendrive! Also, I've got a Red Witch Phaser that I sometimes throw in here, great pedal, but it doesn't hold a candle to my Moog Phaser (which is too big) :(

delay- This is my last frontier. My demands are exactly yours and I've gone the DLS Echotap route (too dark), the Line 6 (too big of a pedal), and most recently the Boss DD-20 which got me pretty close to what I was after. Unfortunaltey, I've got a Moog delay which I use in the studio and it sounds so good, so the DD20 sucks in comparison, but the Moog is too big and not versatile enough for gigging. I've got a Memory Lane coming my way, so hopefully that will finish the board off.

Re: your Qtron, I had one for a long time on my board. I love the pedal, really cool tones can be coaxed from it, but I started paying attention to how much I was really using it . . . I took it off the board are realizing that I barely clicked it on in the course of a show . . . Just food for thought!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out . . .

16. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks for all the replys. I will post pics upon completion, The Trailer Trash I think is the one as far as boards, I'm a sucker for things that glow, thanks Jerry, lol. I am going to check out the Clyde wah and Area 51, I think I'm going with the Emma for auto wah and T-rex Replica for leads. I still need another Delay for trippy textures,Fuchs and Two rock owners feel free to step in and comment, thanks all! ;)

17. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thursday bumpage!:AOK

18. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Bump! What are all you Two Rock and Fuch's owners using as od's and boosts?

19. Deaj

Deaj Member

Hi Miles,

The best boost pedal I've used to date is the LovePedal COT-50. It just blends so very well with whatever drive is being used - amp or pedal. I also like the AnalogMan Juicer (Orange Squeezer) compressor as a boost for clean-on-the-edge and low gain drive tones.

20. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks again Deaj, I'll check out the Cot 50. What's the OCD all about? What mods have been done? Thanks!