Glaswerks Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toneman335, Jan 27, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Just wondering a few things about Glaswerks amps:

. how long is the current backorder?
    . what is the cost of the 50 watt OD head?
    . any downside to the OD 50 amp....tonally or in any other area?

2. les

les Gold Supporting Member

I own a ODS 50. Your best bet is to send an email to Gary for answers to the first 2 questions.

I don't see any downside to the 50 watter. You will get a bit more headroom with a 100 watter, but I am very happy with my 50. These are killer amps!

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

The wait right now is about 2 yrs as of 3 weeks ago. The cost of the 50 watter is about $2600 for a head. You'd need to contact Gary for exact info.

4. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Well worth the wait and the price at 2 to 3 times as much. Garys amps have got some great mojo going on in them. I love my 100 watter and can't wait for my next one.

5. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Agree 100%! Super versatile too.

gb

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Gary's amps are some of the very best amps I have played, including real Dumbles. I have lots of clips in my signature. I have the 100 watter, I think the 50 would have very similar tones.

The Glaswerks is also the only amp I have ever played that can go from a bright, blackface clean tone, to a saturated, creamy mid tone with the click of a footswitch, with no compromises between the two tones. He (and Scott) voiced these amps extremely well.

7. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

2 years that a serious wait I would never put myself on that list.

8. voodoosound

Then you shall never know the tonal bliss that is Glaswerks!

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Are you getting another 100 watter? I just got on the list for a 50 watter to go with my 100. Now that I have got my amp dialed in - imo it surpasses the best Dumble I played, especially in the clean tones.

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Well Lou,
    Put me on YOUR list, in case you EVER decide to sell either of those beauties!

I'll be in touch about getting together soon...this weekend didnt work as I went with Mrs. Jato to a weekend convention in Indy.

Sorry 'bout that,
    S.
    j

11. voodoosound

Yep, another 100. I went on the list in Dec 2006. Hopefully this year my number comes up. I agree with you as far as the Dumbles go.

12. m3g

m3g Member

I dont see any downside to the Glaswerks, killer tones and extremely versitile. Despite the wait, I think the ODS might just be the best "bang for the buck" in boutique ampdom, certainly in the Dumble inspired category anyway.

I own an ODS 50 head, and am now thinking about a combo. While we are on the subject, any of you have any pics of your ODS combo's to push me over the edge?

thanks.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

Steve,

What about Saturday? Teleplayer is coming by to check out the Glaswerks and is bringing his Emplexador. If you can do it I'll see if my friend Joel will bring his Landgraff head.

14. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I sent Gary an email last week asking the same two first questions above and never heard back from him. Asked the same question of a Glaswerks owner and he avoided answering. So, it's the best kept secret on the planet and probably for good reason. I heard from another source that the wait is two years. The price is still a complete mystery though. Either way, at age 48 (almost 49), with arthritis starting to plague my left index finger and with my life filled with all kinds of personal tragedies over the last 10 years, a two year wait is insane for me. The amp might as well not exist at all.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

My 100 watt head was $2,900 plus an upcharge for a couple custom options and cosmetic upgrades. I waited maybe 14-16 months.

You could just get on his list and forget about it - you don't have to give him a deposit until he actually starts to build your amp - there isn't much risk.

Given the versatility, tonal quality, build quality, and price relative to other guys making these types of amps, it's no surprise there is a long wait. Plus, Gary has a full time job. Maybe at some point he'll figure out a way to increase production. Until then, under $3k and a 2+ year wait for what I consider a Dumble beater doesn't seem so bad versus trying to find a real one.

16. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

very taste full playing as well

17. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

No question regarding the tone! The latest Glaswerks clips I've heard (including yours) are some of the best-sounding I've heard in this genre. And, you're right about just getting on the list and forgetting about it. I've done that before (waited 9 months for an Anderson Classic), but 2 years really seems off the hook. Plus, I'd be a little concerned about support after the sale. If Gary's that busy with a full time job and building amps in support of a two-year waiting list, how could he possibly ever service that expanding clientele list? I mean, I sent an inquiry almost a week ago via his recommended route (i.e. email) and haven't heard a thing. How long would I have to wait of my amp went down it needed service? Not trying to be snotty, but these are legitimate questions, I think.

18. voodoosound

I would not be worried in the least about getting support after the fact. Gary has been nothing but helpful and available to me and I bought my Glaswerks second hand. I get the feeling that Gary treats every one of his amps almost like his child or his masterpiece. However , you want to call it.

19. jay42

jay42 Member

20. Kappy

Kappy Member

That's a list I don't mind being on. I liked that there was no obligation to be on the list and nothing required until the build starts. I love my Carol-Ann OD-1 100 and the ODS-50 I was able to A/B it with was every bit as good an amp.