• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Glaswerks FX loop question

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Hello fine Amp experts!

I just picked up a Glasswerks SOD II. The FX loop, I believe, is Line Level. Should I be able to use my Damage Control Timeline and Neunaber Wet Reverb in the SOD's FX loop without issue? At the moment I am getting massive screeching with the pedals in the loop.(even with the Send and Return levels set very low) Not being a techie type my guess is that the above mentioned FX are unable to except line level inputs. Does this sound right to you?

If this is the case, what would you recommend as the remedy.

Thanks in advance and have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2012!

Dave_C

Hello fine Amp experts!

I just picked up a Glasswerks SOD II. The FX loop, I believe, is Line Level. Should I be able to use my Damage Control Timeline and Neunaber Wet Reverb in the SOD's FX loop without issue? At the moment I am getting massive screeching with the pedals in the loop.(even with the Send and Return levels set very low) Not being a techie type my guess is that the above mentioned FX are unable to except line level inputs. Does this sound right to you?

I cannot speak for the Timeline, but I know, both from direct measurement with true RMS DVMs and comparison to specs and by experimentation and use, that the WET works well in the SOD2 loop. The loop cannot produce enough voltage to saturate that pedal. Have you tried them one at a time?

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
First, thanks so much for the response Dave!

I did each pedal separately and got the same results which is why I'm a bit perplexed. I also tested each of the George L cables (which give me major grief, my fault or not) and they seem to fine.

brads

I've used both of those pedals in the loop of a Glaswerks Zingaro with no problem, even with the send control set at noon.

Sounds like there's something wrong. Did you try replacing the tube in the loop?

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
Hello fine Amp experts!

I suggest you email Gary at Glaswerks.
I've used a bunch of different pedals in the loop of my SODII with no problem, Strymon, Mad Professor, Maxon etc.............
One of the best loops in the biz, if not the best.

Dave_C

First, thanks so much for the response Dave!

I did each pedal separately and got the same results which is why I'm a bit perplexed. I also tested each of the George L cables (which give me major grief, my fault or not) and they seem to fine.
Hmmm...my next thought might be to swap out the FX loop tube for a known good one. It's V4, the 4th one from the right looking at the back of the unit. If that doesn't work, I'd drop Gary a line. He's an awesome guy and will help you solve the problem! He's helped me out numerous times with my amp.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Thank you very much everyone! I'm relieved to hear this and will continue to experiment and check the loop tube as suggested. Have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2012!! .....and play those damn guitars!

Peace,
Bill

glaswerks

There are two possibilities I can think of off the top of my head for the issue.

1. The Loop tube, V4 (fourth tube from right, lookling from the rear.
2. The shorting tip on the return jack is not releasing when a cable is inserted and the effects output is being fed back to the effects unit. A quick visual check of the jack with and without a cable inserted should be able to tell of this is the issue. The jack is easy to replace and could be done by any one competant with a soldering iron in 15 minutes or so.

Gary

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
There are two possibilities I can think of off the top of my head for the issue.

2. The shorting tip on the return jack is not releasing when a cable is inserted and the effects output is being fed back to the effects unit. A quick visual check of the jack with and without a cable inserted should be able to tell of this is the issue. The jack is easy to replace and could be done by any one competant with a soldering iron in 15 minutes or so.

Gary
Gary,
Are you up this early on New Years day or have you not gone to bed yet? :huh

glaswerks

Gary,
Are you up this early on New Years day or have you not gone to bed yet? :huh
Actually I slept in today (6:30am). The wife and I took a 200 mile motorcycle ride yesterday, lots of fun!!

Sitting here working on amps and watching the Twilight Zone Marathon, everyone else is still in bed. No rest for the wicked.....

Gary

Dave_C

Gary
Dittos on #2. That happened to mine on the insert loop as well and was easily fixed with some Deoxit rubbed between the contacts with a feeler gauge, but I still need to replace the FX loop return jack. Couldn't get those tabs bent just right to make-n-break the way they're supposed to.

Dave_C

Actually I slept in today (6:30am). The wife and I took a 200 mile motorcycle ride yesterday, lots of fun!!

Sitting here working on amps and watching the Twilight Zone Marathon, everyone else is still in bed. No rest for the wicked.....

Gary
Wow, nice! Been on vaca since 12/23 and sleepng in later and later and later. Tues is going to be a bear though, especially with a major snowstorm rolling in that morning...not a problem down there. ;)

Happy New Year!

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member

Gary
Very nice Gary, good to hear your taking time to hit the road with your wife man.

Billion81

It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did.
Man- I was up early editing some clips (Finally) and then went for a surf with my son. Man there were some grizzly looking folks walking back to cars this morning. Love the walk of shame!!

wishkahdaddy

Silver Supporting Member
Coming from a guy who has 2 amps coming from you, this is great news that you are working on amps right now! Gigged last night and had a great show with great D style tone. With that said, I woke up this a.m. very anxious to try out one of your creations. The clips of your amps on the net are nothing short of amazing and the lay-out of your amps as a gigging musician really appeal to me. Hope to be gigging with a Glaswerks in the arsenal soon!

Gary

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
Good news for me too since I'm likely to have two MORE amps coming from him this year!

Dave_C

Geez, I'm feeling like a slug with only ONE! ;)

Always felt like I needed a #183 style SOD II in addition to the RF style I got now. Hmmm...

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Hello all, I feel very obliged to Gary to update my original post regarding the issue I was experiencing with the FX Loop on my kick ass Glaswerks SODII!

The culprit....my apparent inability to make reliable George L cables. I switched cables and as expected....NO PROBLEM with this amazing amp!

I apologize Gary for not having done my due diligence before having come here to seek help for an issue that nothing to due with your finely crafted product.

I don't think I could hang myself properly with George L cables. User error or not I will never recommend these aggravating things to anyone.

I am a 100% happy Glaswerks SODII owner. Special shout out to SuperReverb2, Citymax, Gary and everyone who posted in this thread for all of your help! :beer

Trending Topics