Glaswerks Zingaro Diary

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by snoop335, Jun 24, 2019.

1. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Late April this year I was in the market for a Glaswerks Zingaro. Some of you may remember the tread I started back then. It contains all information on my decision making process.

This is, what I was looking for:
    • Grab’N Go 12“ combo
    • Really great clean for comping and solo (big, round, dynamic, pleasant highs, sustain etc.)
    • Excellent low to mid gain solo tone (smooth, sustained, singing, touch sensitive etc.)
    • Great Reverb
    • Weight is a relevant topic
    • Need to provide great cleans at low volume in a jazz duo setup (piano + guitar)
    • Need to provide sufficient headroom for dynamic clean in moderate volume band setup with horn section
    • I don’t play large venues, just small to medium local clubs and a lot at home (evenings and weekend)
    • Would love to have an active effects loop (because one never knows)
    • Great built quality to make it last for decades (I love growing old with equipment I really enjoy rather than swapping gear every few months for the next hyped tool)

Early May I pulled the trigger on the following:
    • 50 Watt Zingaro
    • Desert Sky voicing
    • Celestion G12-65 speaker
    • Pull "bright" on treble potentiometer (non-standard)
    • Pull "mid boost" on mid potentiometer (non-standard)
    • FET Preamp (non-standard)
    • 3 button footswitch (non-standard)

I thought that some of you may be interested in me sharing my experience with the building process, the import to Germany and - most important - playing the amp. Thus, I decided to start this thread.

It would be great to make this a dialogue with you rather than me posting without feedback. Looking forward for your questions and remarks.

That said - let's get going.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    jimpridx and PierreL like this.
  2. snoop335

snoop335 Member

DEALING WITH GARY

Dealing with Gary @glaswerks has been straight forward: For all my mails I received feedback within 1 or 2 days. While I have a tendency to be a bit long winded, Gary is pretty much "to the point". Within few days, we had agreed on the configuration for my Zingaro.

On top of the technical specs, I settled for
    • Combo Version
    • Ostrich brown telex with brown leather handle
    • Creme chickenhead knobs
    • Small Weave Cane grill cloth

Gary asked for a 50% down payment and sent an Build Advance invoice, I transferred the money via Paypal on May-05 and within 4 weeks, Gary started the built.

I asked Gary to document the process by sending me some photos every now and then. He agreed - and delivered. That helped a great deal to "survive" the wait until delivery of the amp.

In this thread (and with Gary's prior approval) I will be posting some of the pics that Gary sent to me.

jimpridx and macmax77 like this.
  3. snoop335

snoop335 Member

SHIPPING THE AMP TO EUROPE

I decided for getting the amp shipped to Germany via USPS priority service. This means, it'll take approx. 4 days to get the amp close to me. But I have no clue how long it'll take to get it through customs.

Fully insured (full cost) the shipping alone will cost $265. Puh!

To import the amp to Europe, it need to be RoHS and CE compliant. I was glad to hear from Gary that all his amps come with proper CE documentation (included with the Customs Documents) and amp chassis and shipping box include necessary CE / RHos markings. One more problem solved.

On top of the price for the amp plus shipping, I expect to pay 19% VAT plus 3% tax. I will report on the actual duties once I have received the amp.

When shipping an amp across the Atlantic, packing it adequately becomes an issue. I went through many threads on TGP and elsewhere and discovered that there is far more things that can go wrong than I was prepared for. Really scary.

For those that wonder how to pack an amp for safe shipping, I can recommend to have a look at this video on Youtube for some insights.

jimpridx likes this.
  4. KarlH

KarlH Member

I had a 100 watt zingaro that was fantastic. DeLeo voicing which is more fender-like but really sounded great with my strat. I ended up selling it due to other expenses, but it was fantastic and the next amp I get will likely be a 25 watt zingaro. Gary is a great guy, too.

However, when I clicked on your post title, I was expecting to read something like,

Dear Diary,
    Today, Moondoggie asked me to go steady! I can't believe it!
    Till next time,
    Signed Zingaro

5. snoop335

snoop335 Member

OK - last post for today: This is the first "sign of life" of my Zingaro. More to come in the next few days.
    Hm, you are right. This happens when not communicating in your native language. I will think about changing the title to make it better fit the topic. Suggestions highly welcome.

BTW - glad to hear you liked the Zingaro and are considering to get you another one, once resources allow to do so...

Puneet Wagh likes this.
  6. KarlH

KarlH Member

I was just being silly, don't change a thing! Thanks for the informative post about a great amp!

snoop335 likes this.
  7. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Ok, this is my last post for today. I tried to. post a picture - but no cigar. Couldn't figure out how to do this. Any hints?

Will get back to you in the next few days.

Hilltopper likes this.
  8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Use something like Imgur to host the photo and then post here.

9. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Congrats OP!

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Fender ‘64 HW Deluxe, but decided to go for a Zingaro 25W. It’s all stock, and I use a TS808HW out front (when needed) for more gain/sustain. Great fx loop and volume control, making it an excellent grab and go.

I’ve gigged the Zingaro a few times at small venue and it’s worked great.

I’ve also used a Glaswerks SODII (100W amp used at 50W) at the same small venue with great results...a real testament to Gary’s design and volume-control design.

10. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Thanks Bluesful. Let's see if this works: Below you find a first "sign of life" of what will be my Zingaro in a few days!

[​IMG]

dani_boy79, Bluesful and saltydogg like this.
  11. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Here's some more gut shots (for people being as nerdy as I'm):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know, what you're thinking.

BTW - just stumbled on some pics of the Glaswerks SOD II board right here. Interesting to see how similar they are...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  12. snoop335

snoop335 Member

So, today my Zingaro got packed and is on its way to me! Should arrive next Tuesday (meaning six days from now, including the weekend). Yeah!!!! Can‘t wait to test drive it.

Unfortunately, shipping didn‘t work out as expected: Due to double boxing, it exceeded the USPS size limitations. Gary had to ship it via FedEx. This resulted in more than twice the expected shipping cost. It went from 264.00 up to 620.00 Dollars! (Insured value: $2500, weight: 62 lbs, size 28x16x26). That‘s insane!!!

Has anybody of you ever shipped a similar box from US to Germany? How much did you pay and whom did you choose as a service provider?

dsmc80 likes this.
  13. snoop335

snoop335 Member

To ease the pain - I had to have a look at my incoming Zingaro. Hope you like it as much as I do!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! They’re great amps. I had to sell mine in a finiancial pinch a while back but now it’s on the way back home.:D

15. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Yep - I saw your related postings. Was wondering, why you were selling yours. Glad to hear that you like the Zingaro so much that you‘ll get another one. Or are you even buying back your previous amp? When do you expect to receive it? For me, its 5 more days...
    Let me know what you like about the Zingaro to entertain me until mine is coming in.

16. rollyfoster

I’m getting mine back. The only option I had added was the FET boost but now it has a Celestion cream alnico in it from current owner so we shall see how that changes things.

My other amp is pretty deep in the tweed camp so I’ll be happy to get some of that blackfacey sparkle back especially now that I’m playing an S type guitar for pretty much everything.

With the onboard reverb I’ll be able to get a lot done without any pedals other than the footswitch for some of my gigs and I always welcome that. But I’ll probably mount it on my metro and add a vibe and delay.

Between the guitar and speaker I’m sure it’s going to be a totally different experience than when I used Humbuckers with the g12.

Should be here next week.

17. snoop335

snoop335 Member

So next week is gonna be Zingaro week!

Interested about your findings re the Creamback. My Zingaro will come with the standard G12-65. I have no experience with that speaker and decided to stick with Gary‘s recommendation. I do like the EV12-L, but it‘s too heavy. Also I use several Jensen Neo 12-100 (the green ones). I will definitely try one of them with the Zingaro. The new Jensen Tornado Stealth 12-65 also seems to be a nice speaker...

But maybe / hopefully I can just stick with the G12. From what I read, it should be a good match with my humbucker guitars.

18. rollyfoster

I have the stealth 65 in my KR12. I like it fine, especially since it dropped the weight from over 50 to under.

I’ve never been much of a speaker swapper, though. It cut weight and is less efficient than the CL80 so I can turn my amp up a little bit more too. Works for me.

19. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Yes, lowering weight is always a nice bonus. In particular, when you don‘t need to compromise on the tone. That said, I‘m not a speaker swapper either. Prefer to play music rather than twiddling around with the screwdriver.

20. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Its getting closer - just checked Fedex Tracking and realised my Zingaro is already in Germany, some 600km away from me. Looks like they will meet the scheduled ETA (Tuesday, before 06:00PM). I'm thrilled!

Smacky the Frog likes this.