Glaswerks Zingaro Diary

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by snoop335, Jun 24, 2019.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Delivery is today but I may not get any time with it until this weekend depending on what time it arrives.

Your initial experience with it (aside from push/pull pots I don’t have) sounds pretty similar to mine. Now that I’m playing single coils I’ll probably be spending a lot more time messing around with the FET and boost than before, which I’m looking forward to.

I’ll report back on the speaker. From what I gather it’s “more articulate with a smooth top end” so that’s probably the best description. It’s been a while since I had the amp so I’ll be going off memory and not doing a direct A/B. And using a different guitar.

In all honesty if something takes longer than 1-2 seconds to swap out, be it a speaker or pedal, cable, whatever....I don’t really trust my memory anyways. I’d need to make a recording to get an accurate picture and trust my brain.

2. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Haha - I know what you're talking about: after seconds I already start wondering, how A was different than B. My long term experience is that I can trust my memory with regards to answering the question "which alternative did I like better". But I'm really struggling with describing the difference. Not sure if its a lack of vocabulary or lacking analytical capabilities. But I think at least I know when I like things! And that is pretty consistent...

Good luck with the delivery of your Zingaro. It's painful to sit waiting for delivery, but even worse if you received gear that you than can't try out due to time constraints.

rollyfoster likes this.
  3. rollyfoster

Yeah I can definitely get with the “do I like it or not” method. There are just so many variables that come into play with comparing things that subjectivity starts taking over pretty quickly unless there’s a drastic difference.

snoop335 likes this.
  4. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Looks like a great amp snoop335, that makes me gas for a Zingaro... actually the head version is not that expensive.
    It's the taxes which make it cost a bit.

5. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Hi Pierre, the Zingaro IS an AMAZING great amp. No doubt about it. If you order, I definitely recommend the bright switch and the FET preamp. Need to experiment a bit more with the mid boost I ordered.

Considering the total cost of getting the amp to you, don‘t underestimate the shipping cost. Turned out that getting the combo to me cost more than 600 Dollars! Of course shipping just a head will be much cheaper (smaller box plus less weight).

Regarding tax, I expect to pay 19% VAT. If I read the right pages on the web, there is no longer import tax for audio amplifiers. I will know for sure, once I receive the Fedex invoice. I can recommend FEDEX, as they handle all the paper work. Other shippers may be cheaper, but from what I hear, you need to do the paper work yourself...
    If you‘re ok with the head/cabinet solution, buying the head instead of a combo may save you enough money to get you a nice cabinet in Europe.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    PierreL likes this.
  6. rollyfoster

Holiday travel is over and I finally got to plug it in for a little bit this evening.

Man, I missed these cleans! Pretty sure the FET will be on A LOT with single coils.

I haven’t messed with the OD channel much yet but that smooth vocal sound was there without even moving the knobs where they were set when I unpacked it.

There’s a Suhr Alexa on the way for the loop and I’m trying to pick a delay to go in there too. I really don’t want to run much in front of the amp this go-around.

saltydogg likes this.
  7. snoop335

snoop335 Member

That‘s funny - I did the exact same thing: Stuck most of the time with the heavenly cleans of the Zingaro. Nothing wrong with the OD, but there is so much to discover with the cleans alone. It‘s interesting to see how much of a difference small twists of the knobs make. While the amp clearly has „its“ sound, treble, mid and bass nicely sculpt the tone but don‘t change everything fundamentally. At first, I was slightly disappointed because I thought this would limit flexibility. Now - few hours in - I couldn’t be happier. The dials are just adding or taking away at the exact right frequencies.

WIth the bright switch and the mid boost I can cover a LOT of ground. Wasn‘t too happy with the mid boost at first, but now I really dig it.

Experimented with different guitars (P90 Tele, ES 335, ES 175) and all of them seem to love the Zingaro. It brings out their respective characteristics beautifully.

I also don‘t have a lot of appetite to throw in pedals. Maybe later - but for now, the amp delivers glorious tones and makes me want to play, play, play. Don‘t have the nerve to twiddle with even more options. Why would I, given all the good tones that can be found with the amp alone?

BTW, the reverb is excellent. I thought, this would be the first thing I would add as an offboard effect. Forget it!

Only the Presence knob has not yet found the way to my heart: Changes are very subtle and don‘t make a lot of a difference at home. I‘m sure it‘ll be more useful when gigging.

Oh - and all the pleasure that comes from balancing the gain, master, send and return... Man, I could go on and on and on...

What a nice little amp Gary built!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  8. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

That sounds like a really cool amp...

9. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Absolutely! If you're in that D-thing, I don't think it can get much better than the Zingaro (sound wise). I bet the multi Chanel SOD II brings more flexibility and all the bells and whistles, while the Zingaro is kind of limited when it comes to all those options. But sound wise it delivers all the goods. Oh man, I can't wait to get home and torture my aching fingers with my guitars. It's so much fun to play this amp. Really inspiring. Not only I have the best tone I ever had. I also play stuff I never did before, just because this thing is pulling me away from may worn-out standard licks. What else can you ask an amp to do for you?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    jimpridx, glaswerks, DV52 and 2 others like this.
  10. rollyfoster

I crank the presence pretty high...much higher than I would with other amps. It gives a little bite and sizzle and opens it up a little more IMO.

I’m not really after that smoother Dumble sound so making it a little more aggressive works out for me.

11. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

yep, i discovered that cranking the presence really brings it to life! i’ll miss that thing!

rollyfoster likes this.
  12. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Ok, thanks for pointing this out. Will give it a try. Actually, I didn‘t experiment with the presence: Set it somewhere, liked it and went on playing...

@jnovac1: I saw some of your Zingaro related postings and was surprised to see you selling yours. What happened?

@rollyfoster: Any first impressions regarding the speaker?

13. rollyfoster

Not yet. I haven’t gotten it loud enough to really check it out. There’s a power tube that rattles like a Salvation Army Santa so I need to address that.

I’m also trying to figure out why I’m getting serious hum with a pedal in the loop.

14. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Sorry to hear there‘s some issues with your amp. Doesn‘t sound serious though. Good luck sorting this out. Hope you get to play more and do less trouble shooting soon.

15. rollyfoster

Thanks yeah I think it’s just some tube stuff. There’s some idle crackling and stuff going on so I’ll probably replace all of them.

I think the hum was caused by the buffer that was turned on in the pedal I hooked up. Still gotta dig around and confirm that though.

My amp is actually jnovac1’s. I sold it to him and then ended up getting it back.

16. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Ha - its a small world!

17. DV52

DV52 Member

Never a doubt Sir !!

18. rollyfoster

The cream is a great speaker.

I’m not going to try and compare it to the G12-65 since it’s a different guitar, etc. and it’s been a while since I last heard that one but I definitely like it a lot and don’t feel the need to change.

I guess it sounds a little more open and less focused than the stock speaker. Maybe a little less “Dumbly,” especially with the overdrive channel, which I’m liking a lot right now.

Again, totally different gear so take it for what it’s worth. I don’t even have the same guitar anymore to compare.

jnovac1 likes this.
  19. iguy

iguy Member

Sorry to hear that you need to do a little amp repair but what a great line!

rollyfoster and snoop335 like this.
  20. rollyfoster

Luckily tube rattle is pretty easily remedied. I have a spare set that should be ok. Just waiting on banana plugs to arrive today so I can use the bias points.

If I just keep playing jingle bells like my daughter demands then it kind of works out.

They’re out of the house and I had the thing pretty CRANKED for a little while and was holding notes like Europa on Moonflower...with a strat.:eek:

One thing I’m doing differently than before is setting my clean volume with my guitar full up and then setting the OD volume with the guitar about halfway.