Glaswerks Zingaro Diary

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by snoop335, Jun 24, 2019.

1. iguy

iguy Member

So that's what was rattling my windows up here so close to the Williamson County line!

rollyfoster likes this.
  2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Honey, was that an earthquake!?!

-nope, it was just that idiot down in Austin playing Samba Pa Ti again

jeff_lebowski likes this.
  3. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

If this thread has anyone gassing for a Zingaro there is one on NH craigslist right now. Seems reasonably priced.

4. snoop335

snoop335 Member

I can promise its not mine! As it stands today, I don't see me wanting to get rid of it. (But of course I'm still in the honeymoon phase....)

5. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Tried more extreme settings of the presence - and it worked out nicely! Indeed, this opens up the amp quite a lot. Didn't expected this, so stuck with typical settings between 1 and 4. Never went beyond 7. Now I realise that 8 and beyond delivers a LOT. Definitely another cool parameter to play with - if only the guitar playing through the Zingaro wouldn't be so addictive! I find myself finding a good sound, start noodling around and - oops - another hour went by because the sound gets me in the flow.

It's so cool not to think: "Sounds ok, but maybe I should add a little bit of something or have less of something else to make it sound even better...". This amp makes me want to play, play, play. No need to focus on tweaking.

At the end of the day, I guess this is what music making is all about, right?

rollyfoster likes this.
  6. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

You know, at one time I owned my Zingaro as well as a SOD II, and while the SOD II is indeed an incredible amp, I found myself playing the Zingaro much more often on gigs and at home. As a result, I ended up selling the SOD II only because I didn't need all of the "bells and whistles" that if offered. Since the Zingaro did everything I needed for it to do, I just couldn't justify keeping its bigger brother. Plus, the Zingaro is so much easier to lug around. It's just a great amp!

snoop335, jnovac1 and rollyfoster like this.
  7. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Wow - that's quite a statement! Glad to hear this, as I was actually wrestling with myself over the question of getting the SODII or the Zingaro. Figured that portability is important to me and I don't want to tweak but play. I was hoping that the Zing would bring more or less the same sound a single SODII Chanel would deliver and went with the Zingaro (oh yeah - saving some money came in as a well received bonus)

Cool to know that I shouldn't gas for the SODII - the ZINGARO is the right choice for me. YOU MADE MY DAY! Thanks.

jimpridx likes this.
  8. rollyfoster

Ahhhhhh fresh toobz

jnovac1 likes this.
  9. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

what did you put in there?

10. rollyfoster

I had some Mesa 6L6 laying around because I’ve always trusted their QC.

The JJ in it were biased a bit cold at 28-29mA.

The Mesa tubes were at 30.5 without having to touch anything. I haven’t turned up enough to see if they rattle yet but it sounded quite different off the bat.

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yea that one is in VT and has been on CL for a long time .. . Good price, but 25 watt model. Someone on this forum should buy it so I don't drive down there :) Eric

12. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

The 25W has been great for me as a grab-n-go for small/medium sized venues. Plenty of volume, but of course less headroom and looser than the 50/100W. I dig it.

ericb likes this.
  13. rollyfoster

Hell there was a 50w one here recently. Hopefully it sold at that low price.

14. snoop335

snoop335 Member

In case you missed it: There's a new Zingaro vid on Youtube, that provides an overview on the amps capabilities. While I have to say its the best "review" of the Zingaro that I've seen to date, I'd say the recorded sound is kind of lacking what I hear when sitting next to my amp. At least they manage to give a good indication of what's doable and come to the right conclusions: The Zingaro provides big D***** Tone. (I've never played a D*****. Thus, I'd say: Its the sound that I associate with D***** amps)

Note there's slightly misleading information in the vid: 3 minutes in, they say the amp has a foot switchable mid boost. As a matter of fact, the boost switch is bypassing the tone stack and adds a 15db boost to the upper mids (See Rollyfoster's post #76 further below. Thanks Rollyfoster for sharing).

Gary offers mid boost as an option (push / pull the mid pot) that I can highly recommend. Having this being foot switchable would have been nice, but I understand the Zingaro is not an SOD II...

Would have loved if demo would have mentioned the active loop. It does so much more than just providing a way of looping in pedals: It serves as an excellent additional master and helps a lot in sculpting the tone.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    saltydogg likes this.
  15. snoop335

snoop335 Member

BTW, Austin Guitar House also released a similar review of the SOD II. Very nice way to compare the SOD II to the Zingaro.

I actually prefer the tone of the Zingaro! But that is mainly due to the recording: It has too much ambiance sound at the SOD II recording (to my taste)

Two thing I want to highlight:
    At 04:40 Ray explains the two alternate voicing options and demonstrates them back to back. That gives you a very good idea of the differences between DeLeo voicing vs. Desert Sky voicing. REALLY cool if you try to figure out, how they are different and which one to choose for your Zingaro! (As far as I know, Gary doesn't offer switchable voicing for the Zingaro. @glaswerks: Do you?)

At 05:50 Ray demonstrates the mid boost. I ordered the mid boost as an option to my Zingaro and I can confirm it changes the sound in the exact same fashion as the "standard" mid boost on the SODII

So cool - my Zingaro really is covering SOD II sound territory! It's only lacking the two drive channels, second reverb, switching options etc.

I'd say if you're into clean sounds mainly, entering the drive zone only occasionally to spice up a solo and if you value portability - the Zingaro is the way to go. With the optional FET preamp, treble boost and mid boost, the excellent loop and the cool presence, it delivers all the goods that I looked for.

If you are a die hard nerd when it comes to drive sounds, the SODII provides far more tools to sculpt your tone. There's more footswitchable options, separate reverb etc. The SODII looks like the Swiss army knife of an amp to me. Its all in there - but you pay for what you get. And you need to lug around a heavy top plus a nice cabinet that does justice to the sound of the amp.

saltydogg likes this.
  16. rollyfoster

Here’s info about the FET and stack straight from Gary:

“The FET preamp is a clean preamp on the front end of the amp, it provides about 15dB max boost, frequency response is pretty flat from 100 to over 10KHz.

The amps BOOST is a tone stack lift circuit and gives a 15dB boost in the upper mids at the sacrifice of some of the low end.”

17. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Thanks Rollyfoster for getting this straight. I took my information, from the manual which just mentions the tone stack lift but doesn't say a word regarding the mid boost. Makes sense though (considering the change in sound and volume when engaging the BOOST). I edited my original statement in post #74 accordingly.

rollyfoster likes this.
  18. rollyfoster

I’m not sure where it is but somewhere around here he talks about the “low end sacrifice” which IIRC is a roll-off at like 800hz or whatever to keep it from getting too boomy

19. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

If you choose the DeLeo voicing over the Desert Sky for the clean tone, does it impact the lead tone ? Or is it the same regardless of the tone stack chose for the clean tone ?

20. rollyfoster

I’d imagine it does because the OD section works off whatever the EQ is doing. I’m not sure what the impact would be but the OD doesn’t have its own EQ unless it’s the HRM version