Glaswerks Zingaro Diary

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by snoop335, Jun 24, 2019.

1. snoop335

snoop335 Member

I think Rollyfoster is right. For the bright switch (of the ODS II) Gary offers a "bright-on-clean-only" option, but I never heard of a voicing per channel setup.

The bright and mid boost switches (push-pull pots) on my Zingaro impact the clean and overdrive. This is not a surprise, as the overdrive is just adding another gain stage on top of the clean (cascading layout).

When I kick in the "boost" (via footswitch), the tone stack gets lifted and the mids get boosted. I still can pull the treble pot for more brightness and pull the mid boost to add even more mids... So many cool options with this amp. I just spent another two hours noodling. Calendar allowed only for 30 minutes but the tonez required to cancel the last phone conference for this week :)

2. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

A good question for @glaswerks! Maybe he'll see it at some point, I don't think he visits here regularly but it can't hurt.

PierreL likes this.
  3. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for posting those clips, snoop. Oz and Co at Austin Guitar House are doing their best down there!

I'm quite fortunate to currently own both a Zingaro 25W and an SODII, and find them both to be very musical, but the SODII is on another level. Both of them came via Oz at AGH, and their customer-service is fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to contact Oz, if you are in the market.

I was torn between a 25W and 50W Zingaro, but already owning the SODII, I went with the 25W and I'm glad I did. A great gigging-amp for small to medium sized venues, though micing may be required under some circumstances, as it's possible to run of out headroom. Great loop, great volume-control and very portable.

The SODII is just a joy to play. Big, round and expressive come to mind when describing the sounds. Just the way the notes sustain and 'bloom' makes it fun, however it's quick to amplify clams just as nicely! Loves single-coils and humbuckers, as well. I enjoy both the Desert Sky and DeLeo voicings, finding the DeLeo a bit more Fendery, in the traditional-sense. As mentioned above the voicing does impact the voice of the overdrive channels. Lots of tone-options on the SODII, whether you like thick-and-chewy, or cutting-and-biting, it's all there and it all these options work so seamlessly.

We played a private-party on the bay, down the Jersey Shore 2 weeks ago, and our singer sent me the quick-clip below that she took during the outro-jam. Had I known she was going to record anything, I would have dressed a little nicer. Not quite a demo-clip, but here it is with a '54RI Strat and the amp (no pedals, etc). Pardon the clams and my improv...lol.

(to my ears, in the first 7-8 seconds, it sounds like a violin in the background)

Pablomago and ducmike like this.
  4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

5. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Hi Saltydog, sorry for my late reply to your post. I really enjoyed reading your comments and watching your clip. Always good to see people having a good time making music. Sounded like you were having a blast.

So, for you the SODII is on a whole different level (compared to the Zingaro). Does this refer to tones, flexibility or both? Actually, I‘m so fascinated by the tones I can get from my Zingaro that I‘m having a hard time thinking of how it could be any better... Anyways - happy to hear that you seem to have all the tools in your arsenal that you need for your music. I‘m sure the SODII is a fantastic amp.

6. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Congrats on the Timeline. I‘m also thinking about getting me a delay. But I don‘t want to be pulled into tweaking a complex beast like the timeline, so I‘m leaning towards a Boss DD-3 or DD-7. I own a Source Audio Ventris dual delay. Sounds great, but offers far too many options and atm I enjoy playing guitar so much, that I hardly want to stop and start tweaking the reverb. The Ventris does offer a very minimalistic delay as a „bonus“. It may be good enough for what I‘m looking for. But it‘ll take some time to experiment... Also have owned an AxeFx II for years. While it‘s an impressive tool, I realized that after a couple of notes I start wondering if more tweaking would get me more awesome tone. With the Zingaro it‘s the opposite: It deliver so much great tone, that I wonder if my playing lives up to it. Makes me want to play rather than tweak. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Interested in reading about your experience with the Timeline nevertheless...

7. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Well I typically HATE multiFX type pedals and menus. My main delay has been a belle epoch deluxe (about as simple as it gets) since it was released but I really don’t like it, or anything else, mucking up the interaction between guitar and this amp so I want to be able to go straight in with FX in the loop. The Belle is now on a board for my other amp.

I had a source audio nemesis and immediately like the timeline much more. I’m not a big menu diver/tweaker and the timeline is much more intuitive for me because the nemesis really needed the apps to do its thing and it was kind of glitchy. Timeline has all the knobs on top so there’s a lot of versatility without having to even touch a menu and I don’t have to connect my phone to it.

Sure there’s some stuff I probably won’t use much, if ever, but I love the reverse mode and it also has a looper which is a huge bonus for me. Some of the presets are cool as hell and inspiring me to play in a way I wouldn’t be inclined to on my own so it’s definitely egging on some creativity. Whether there’s a practical application for that remains to be seen....but I’m having fun with it.

Sounds great in the Zingaro loop, too.

8. snoop335

snoop335 Member

The other day I reached out to Gary @glaswerks to ask for his recommendation to get ultimate Fender sparkle from the Zingaro. Thought I'd share Gary's response for you guys to do your own testing:

"...A tip for Better clean tone is to try staging the Send and return controls to send at 10:00 and Return at 2:00. You can also increase the first Gain control to add more highs. To simulate a fender tone stack turn the gain to MAX, then the front end looks almost identical to a fender..."

PierreL likes this.
  9. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Interesting... wonder if that would work with my Fuchs.
    Would that be in Jazz or Rock position ?

10. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Pierre, the Zingaro doesn't offer a Jazz or Rock position. And I have no experience with Fuchs amps at all. No clue how similar they are to the Zingaro

11. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Ah allright, I didn't know about the switch.
    I'll try those settings on the Fuchs anyway, it can't hurt :)