Glen Frey, the forgotten Eagles lead guitarist?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Custom50, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Ok, I admit it. I've never given him his due as a lead guitarist. I mean, if I was in a band with Don Felder and Joe Walsh I wouldn't even bother trying to take a lead. It seems like he never gets mentioned for his guitar playing, at least I haven't seen it. Is he the forgotten third lead guitarist? (at least for this line-up)

he lays down some tasty licks in the intro and plays a fine guitar solo about 6 and a half minutes in.

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

3. teleman55

teleman55 Member

He's on Bob Seger's first hit, 'Rambling Gambling Man' back when he was in Detroit, way before the Eagles. Don't know if he plays, sings, or both on that, but he'd been around a bit before the Eagles.

4. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Not trying to be argumentative, but that solo is pretty much right off the record.
    For a song they probably played every other night, I thought he was kinda stiff and lackluster with it actually.
    Talented, but not a daily bread and butter lead man no way.
    Much much better rhythm player, I think he's quite good at that spot.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Very true. I'm not saying he's amazing or anything and I'd take Felder or Walsh any day but I honestly had no idea he played any lead guitar at all. Witchy Woman is one of my favorite Eagles songs so I must say I was surprised.

6. slogger

slogger Member

Not really related to Frey but the part after the solo when the band is doing a call and response harmony singing ahhh with Henley responding, it reminds me of Dayman from Always Sunny in Philadelphia - happens at 6:55. Made me chuckle a bit. Happens at 1:22 in the Always Sunny clip if you're interested:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  7. Custom50

Custom50 Member

No need to check it. I've seen that episode like 20 times. It's Always Sunny is my favorite TV show!

8. ShadowCanAm

ShadowCanAm Member

Glenn Frey played the solo on I Can't Tell You Why.....that's one of the smoothest solos ever. Also, look at his solo stuff like the riffs on Smuggler's Blues or the The Heat Is On.

9. tommyg

tommyg Member

Really?!?! The video of them in the studio shows Frey playing keys with Walsh, and Felder doing the solo.

Just saying....

10. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Supporting Member

Love that Witchy Woman intro but I always thought Glenn's part was kind of painful

11. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Forgotten or overlooked or overshadowed are not parts of Glen Frye's world.

12. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Who can forget the classic "It's Pepsi in the U.S.A." he did with Don Johnson?

13. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I'm not talking about him in general as he's generally regarded as very talented (and rightfully so) but specifically his lead guitar playing which seems to me to be both overlooked and overshadowed. I don't know why but I always assumed Bernie Leadon played alot of those solos.

14. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

He is a very good guitar player in his own right. His leads are fairly simple, but they SOUND good, and that's what counts. Sure he's not Felder or Walsh, but so what?

And regardless of what you think of Frey or his attitude, he's definitely an amazing songwriter. Hell, he (along with Jackson Browne) wrote "Take It Easy". And that was only the beginning. :)

15. Custom50

Custom50 Member

That's pretty much what I mean. He's known for being an awesome songwriter, which he definitely is! He's not an epic ripping lead player but he's more capable then I originally thought. He has a good sense of melody.

16. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

I can believe it. Frey may have played the album version of the guitar solo (along with keys, because one of the benefits of studio work is that you can play more than one instrument on the same song. ;), but during the live shows-why not have an amazing lead player like Felder (or Smith, as is the case these days) replicate it, night after night?

And even in the studio, if they were doing the whole song with all parts then it made sense for Frey to play keys while Felder played guitar, for the same reason I said above.

17. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I thought that was him on I Can't Tell You Why. That is one beautifully executed and thought out solo.

18. gmann

gmann Member

Up until Felder got in the band he also played all the slide parts, such as the cool flanged part at the end of Midnite Flyer and Is It True. He is a talented player for sure. I've often likened his guitar playing in a band with Felder and Walsh to George Harrison's being a songwriter in a band with Lennon and McCartney.

19. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

I'm not a fan of Frey on a personal level, but he's certainly a fine guitar player. He's not a modern session guitarist by any stretch of the imagination, but the guy can hold his own playing lead in most rock bands. You don't need to have the skills of Danny Gatton to hold down the lead spot in a rock band.

20. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

Yes, he sure was, he sang backup on RGM, Bob played the guitar tracks. Frey also did the solo on TILL IT SHINES from Seger's STRANGER IN TOWN record.