Glendale Guitars..............

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gainiac, Jan 26, 2006.

1. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

USPS lost my tele parts that I had ordered from Dale. He called me up and offered to replace the parts for cost of shipping. Dale is a class act and his guitars look really nice too!

http://www.glendaleguitars.com/

2. stratofied

stratofied Member

+1 ,I haven't tried one of his guitars yet but great tele parts.

3. guitarlovero5

guitarlovero5 Member

Those parts look very nice!

4. boog204

boog204 Member

im afraid to ask since i have an amp coming via ups today, but how do they "lose" your package? and what is ups going to do about it?

5. matte

matte Senior Member

Brilliant Idea. Wound string have more upper harmonic content, while unwound guys are sweeter.

[​IMG]

6. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Not UPS I've never had a problem with UPS. USPS.

UNited States Postal Service. My parts are somewhere in never-ever land in one of the post offices in the Bronx. They're going to try to find the package.

7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I was lucky enough to win a Glendale Tele (specifically, virtually all of the parts necessary to build one) via the fund-raising raffle over on the TDPRI (www.tdpri.com).

I almost hesitate to comment on it too much--given that I got the guitar for nothing more than a $20 donation, it's hard to be truly objective.

That being said, damn if this isn't an amazing instrument. Probably plays and sounds as good as any guitar I've played.

Here's what was included:

* One piece pine body, 1.5" thick rather than the now-standard 1.75". Very thin silver finish. Very light weight. Resonates like crazy.

* A really wonderful neck--about the same width as the current Fender American Series Tele necks, and about the same depth at the nut. But unlike my American Series, it gets progressively thicker as you go up the neck--this fits my hands better. Great fretwork, light, fast finish, and a very nice rosewood fretboard.

* Bridge plate and a set of the "twang" saddles (aluminum for E/A, brass for the other two pairs)

* White pickguard
    * Broadcaster style knobs
    * Machined jack cup
    * Neck plate & screws
    * vintage-style kluson tuners

Also included in the prize were a set of Fender custom shop Nocaster pickups, from Rice Custom Guitars (http://www.ricecustomguitars.com/), which seem to be a perfect match for this guitar.

I just had to supply the control plate, switch, pots, wiring, pickguard screws, strap locks, and a bit of labor.

I've been playing it for about 3 weeks now, and am more impressed with it every time I pick it up.

I'm sure there are great country tones in there for someone with country chops. But for me, it's got all the bluesy, funky spank I look for in a Tele, and also produces some really nice clean jazzy tones--anywhere from mellow to shimmering. I like to think I can get close to Robben Ford's Tele tones.

I understand from his site that Dale is redesigning his compensated saddles. Hard to imagine improving on these, but something to watch for. In the meantime, he's got a closeout sale going on on the old style saddles, so something to check out if you're in the market.

Anyway, a big thumbs up from me on the Glendale stuff.

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Exactly right!

Dana

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

My dealings with Glendale have been very good. Dale is a first class individual

10. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I have bought 10 sets of Glendale saddles and am waiting on the first top-load bridgeplate. Great all-around.