Glendale Pine Tele bodies: Worth the extra coin?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gil, May 20, 2008.

1. gil

gil Member

So I just bought yet another Nocaster neck on eBay. I was gonna get a swamp ash body from (probably) USACG, but my friend, Ross, got me thinking about a pine body. A lot of posts around here, got me even more interested.

I see that Glendale will make you one for $325. You can get a nitro finished one for $600. So, these prices seem to be more expensive that what I'm finding elsewhere, e.g., Guitar Mill, USACG (compared to swamp ash body; pine not listed, but some here have said they'll do pine). I'm guessing that these companies don't do nitro finishes, so I'm not sure about comparing finished pricing, but the bodies are around $150 less than Glendale.

I'm definitely cool with paying more, if there's a reason. What do you guys know about any advantages the Glendale body might have?

Thanks!

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

pine is one cheap azz wood. i can't see why pine would be more than anything else.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

This is a Guitar Mill body. I had it double bound and finished in clear nitro and it was about $100 less than Glendale.

If I had left the binding off I'd have saved another $70.

[​IMG]

There's a Glendale bridge & saddles on this guitar. They make very nice hardware. I just can not understand the price of their pine bodies.

4. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Supporting Member

Actually, a piece of pine large enough for a guitar and free of any knots or defects is on par with maple or mahogany price wise.

I pay around $5.25 a bf for pine and mahogany is around 6.50 and maple is about $6. Now, there is about 2 BF of lumber in a tele body. That means pine is only $2 cheaper. I wouldn't call that "cheap azz" wood!!!

5. gil

gil Member

Wow! That's a great-looking body! What does she weigh?

So apparently Guitar Mill DOES do nitro.

6. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Gil, this might seem like a silly question but where do you find Nocaster necks on Ebay? (I assume they are Fender necks?)

Everytime I search for 'tele' necks on Ebay, I come up with the same results...a bunch of whatever. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough......

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I've never seen a nocaster neck on ebay. They'd go for high dollar if they're on there.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I haven't weighed the finished guitar but the body alone weighed 3 pounds, 3 ounces.

Guitar Mill ONLY does nitro finishes.

Don't forget the Don Mare pickups!

9. gil

gil Member

Hey ReddRanger, well if you're not searching for "Nocaster," then that might be your first problem. I have a saved search on eBay (emails me whenever item is listed) for: nocaster neck
    I often get nocaster neck pickup listings, but every now and then I get a Nocaster neck! I just bought my fourth one a couple of weeks ago. Probably still in the completed auctions section. It's off of an NOS Nocaster, which was being parted-out on eBay. Seems like a lot of people are parting-out guitars these days. Must get more money that way?? I paid $931 for it. I'm pretty sure that's the most I've paid. First one I bought some years ago, before EVERYONE realized how nice fat necks are, was also an NOS, and I paid like $450 for it. I bought a Closet Classic from "reliablefender"s eBay store. They have tons of necks and bodies (only one Nocaster neck, when I bought it). I really got into buying these necks, when I realized that I could put em on ANY Tele and get the fat feel that I like :)

Hope that helps. It's all about the saved search: nocaster neck

10. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

Here's an early Glendale pine body! In fact it was body #6, and there's a pic of the very guitar on the Glendale site, under "testimonials."

Very light, it is a 1.5 inch body, and has a nice "warm" tone. It was already finished in nitro when I bought it. The different coloured stripe in the middle is "heartwood" from the middle of the log. It is one piece!

Originally it had Lollar pups, but now it has Don Mare's fitted!

[​IMG]

11. scott1568

scott1568 Member

+1. Pine is not exactly flame maple...

I bought a 2 piece pine body from ebay a couple years ago for $60.00.
    I let it sit for almost 3 years now and I can see a little sap that has crystralized in some areas.
    It's a South American Red pine though, not the Yellow pine from the states. I think Yellow pine is favored. Either way, I'm going to build a tele. I'll assemble it before painting and if I hate it, well shame on me I wasted $60. I'll buy another body.

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Scott,

The pine used for guitar bodies is Northern pine, also known as Sugar pine. Very lightweight and resonant.

13. DonM

DonM Member

Those are B.Poe bodys - correct?
    their very-close and accurate to Vintage 50's - worth the extra if your after that whole vibe-- Rick Holmstrom got 3 of the Ash ones - and brought them here - they were the closest I've seen so far to 50's

for after market stuff so far I own a 3- from Guitar Mill - and a WD and 3 from the fellow here.

14. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Ask Jaydawg76 to make you one. His bodies are killer and the work is superb.Not to mention he is a great guy.
    You wont go wrong with one of his.

15. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

Mine certainly a Brian Poe body.

16. gil

gil Member

Aha... OK, I'd never heard of Brian Poe. Now that I look again, his name is mentioned in Glendale's description, but, again, I didn't think anything of it. Now that I searched his name, I see that a lot of people say that he's one of the (some say THE) best at doing Tele bodies. I can see that being a contributing factor to the premium on Glendale's bodies. Thanks DonM.

17. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I've purchased most of the parts that Glendale offers at one time or another, and I did end up buying a Glendale Tele.

Every part available from Glendale is absolutely top shelf. Expensive, but I think worth every penny. Poe bodies must be the ones that impressed Dale the most. I can say that as part of the total package with my guitar, I wouldn't want anything else.

[​IMG]

18. KBR

KBR Member

Jaydawg Makes a Great Pine Tele, is a Great Guy and a true Pro.
    I also like and use Don Mare's Pickups, it's a winning combo, for sure!