Glenn Hughes

JeffR

I'm not sure what the OP was specifically referring to, however just the mention of GH has forced me to stop everything and listen to DP's "Burn". I guess "Stormbringer" is next.

Strat335

I hear you. I really like Glenn, both his music and personally, but I constantly listen to his albums with JJ.... Building the Machine and others are criminally underrated or just not known. Incredible music....Addiction, Soul Mover, etc. Just my kind of rock and roll. I'll support him no matter what, but I wish that particular band with JJ Marsh was back together.

joek86

Silver Supporting Member
I agree guys! I'm a long time fan dating back to early Trapeze. Seems like he's just trying to make a big splash.... Get back on top. Gone are the tunes with feel and taste. He's replaced his more melodic singing with screaming and cliche lines. No doubt there's a couple of good tunes on this new album, but none that are memorable.
I'd like to see Glenn go back to the funkier stuff that he was doing a few years back.

vintage66

I like him with BCC and California Breed. I also like his Deep Purple stuff. I have Soul Mover and it's alright, I need to listen again since I've only heard it a couple times. I need to get the second and third Trapeze cd's since I've really only heard one of their songs covered by Jake E Lee. I love finding classic rock that I've overlooked. A lot of people, including 70's rock fans, have never really heard Trapeze so BCC and California Breed open the door for them to dig deeper and discover GH's roots. Do you guys not like the harder direction? I'm not sure what's not to like if you like hard rock.

townsend

I like him with BCC and California Breed. I also like his Deep Purple stuff. I have Soul Mover and it's alright, I need to listen again since I've only heard it a couple times. I need to get the second and third Trapeze cd's since I've really only heard one of their songs covered by Jake E Lee. I love finding classic rock that I've overlooked. A lot of people, including 70's rock fans, have never really heard Trapeze so BCC and California Breed open the door for them to dig deeper and discover GH's roots. Do you guys not like the harder direction? I'm not sure what's not to like if you like hard rock.
I have always loved the 2nd and 3rd Trapeze albums, titled "Medusa" and "You are the Music -- We're Just the Band" respectively. I didn't know who they were until one of my friends came back from a Moody Blues concert, and praised the opening act, Trapeze. These bands were label mates (Threshold records, IIRC).

Trapeze did a lot of touring in the southern U.S. and had some following. I was 18 years old in 1971, to set the context of my remarks. Mel Galley (RIP) was an incredible tasteful guitarist, and Dave Holland's drumming was solid. Of course, Glenn was a major contributor, not only playing bass but doing most the lead singing and writing many songs.

Still my favorite rock trio of all time.

Supercubziggy

I had the fortune to work on Glenn's solo blues album. That was in 1991 and i have yet to see a vocalist give me the willy's like that. He made the hair stand up on my neck and everyone in the room. It was almost supernatural to hear that voice come out of the guy behind the glass. He blew a set of NS-40 monitors while tracking vocals on "I am the Man". It kind of freaked me out. When he's on, there is something i can't put a finger on. It goes beyond talent.

Trending Topics