Glitch Effect - Everything Everything

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wanj, Oct 20, 2014.

1. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Member

Hmmm I'm fairly sure it's the judder as I explained I performed the rehouse from the standard wooden box to a pale creamy yellow case you see on the bottom corner of the pedalboard.

That sound cannot to my knowledge be achieved with the timeline....I own the timeline, has used a judder a fair amount, and own the masf raptio which is the same kinda concept of momentary sample and hold....

2. mwfx

mwfx Member

The pale yellow box is indeed a rehoused MWFX Judder from 2011, a cab fell on the original wood one and the heavy touring also took it's toll on the rehoused one too so both have since been replaced.

The video sounds like he's used the new version which can be seen this year on the front right hand corner of his board. The envelope trigger on that version of the pedal helps to drop in the repeats so exactly. That and the fact he's a very talented musician and creative.

The latest ones are £119/$190 (sorry, not trying to plug, but they are lower actually priced than the MASF) and the metal hammond enclosure, belleville washers, heavy duty industrial footswitch, PCB (metal resistors, C0G caps) etc make for a very strong build!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Member

Woo those new ones in the little cases look super cool, sir.
    Great price point too. My previous comment on price vs features was based on the latest wooden judder @£179, which has way more features than the Raptio

If someone just wants the sample and hold effect these look like hitting it out of the park.

4. DRGUN

DRGUN Member

damn i want that thing so bad

5. mwfx

mwfx Member

Cheers mate. It's not traditional sample and hold but it's a bit like a new method for that. Especially on the bigger version when the LFO is switching the hold on and off really fast.

Off topic (and off on another plug, sorry), the Bitrate pedal I make actually does a true sample and hold of the guitar signal, which steps the waveform at very fast rates (anything below nyquist point) and distorts the sound in a much different way. Should be up online soon.

6. Wanj

Wanj Member

Is the newest version of the Judder the one with the chicken head knob in the middle?

7. mwfx

mwfx Member

Yes it is, if you mean the blue one?

8. Wanj

Wanj Member

Nah, sorry I meant the picture of the bigger box on your website for the Judder.

9. mwfx

mwfx Member

Yeah that's the newest version of the pedal with the extra controls.

10. Last

Last Member

Wondering how this compares to the HEXE reVOLVER II ?

11. p.j.

p.j. Member

The Vox Dynamic Delay can do glitchy, stuttering repeats as well as a myriad of other cool sounds/textures. Might be worth checking out.

12. mwfx

mwfx Member

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to answer this, having not owned a Hexe Revolver and made the Judder. Seems to be a lot on here about the Hexe already, but I'll explain some of the differences I see and try to be impartial, please correct me if I'm wrong on the Hexe.

The (large) Judder differences:

• Footswitch is press to repeat loops, can be inverted (press to record, release to loop).
    • Envelope triggering to gate/duck the effects. i.e. Loops are gated as you play and stop when you stop, or they are ducked (and recorded) as you play and loop when your quiet.
    • Mute setting, acts as noise gate/ducker/killswitch/tremolo - depth altered by Dry mix.
    • Layer/Sound-on-sound setting for adding to the loop, triggered reverb swell/pad.
    • Rate mod switch, sets the envelope/LFO to alter the rate (pitch) of the loop like 'autowah'/vibrato. Pitch variation and direction governed by rate and auto invert switch.
    • JFET buffered analog dry signal path, momentary switching similar to Boss FET bypass.
    • Dry signal/Loop mix via pot control for playing alongside.
    • True bypass switch.
    • Effect based on echo chip used in boutique analog delays, recording a loop in the background like an echo would be, so current consumption is similarly low (55mA).
    • Analog 'character', which begins to show up in the loops after about 15-30 repeats.
    • 10ms to 200ms (short mode) 20ms to 500ms (medium) 100ms to 8 secs (sound quality dramatically decreases in long mode, to clicks/beeps)
    • Opportunities to add extra assignable footswitch, feedback control through expression pedal.
    LFO setting is similar to the Hexe Auto setting in that it switches on and off the effect. LFO on Judder acts out the other functions (mod, mute, layer etc.) in same way that the envelope setting does. The Auto potentiometer on Judder is dual and governs both LFO speed and envelope/gate sensitivity.

Both have expression pedal inputs.

The Hexe differences:
    • Press to record, release for loops, length of press sets loop length.
    • Reverse mode.
    • Glitch mode, which I think presses loops on.
    • Switched double speed/half speed/detune modes. Plays the recorded loop at different speeds.
    • 2nd footswitch for 'one shot' of last recorded sample. Also works as an effect bypass switch when held down (I think)
    • Randomised sample length/speed mode.
    • Tone control for Loop.
    • Volume control for Loop.
    • DSP "old school digital audio system" 12Bit/32Khz.
    • Mix switch outputs a dry signal from here for playing alongside.
    • 20ms to 1sec (antialiasing low pass filtering increases with rate length).

The Vox looks to be a delay pedal and a bit different to these but very versatile with multi fx applied to the echoes. It's 24bit/48khz and 4 seconds max, and has analog/tube echo emulation, modulated delays, stereo, multitap, ping pong, reverse, reverbed delay, pitch shifting delay, expression pedal input, loopstation function. Looks awesome.

13. myrnaloy

myrnaloy Member

The MWFX site says the Judder is out of stock. Is there another batch in the works or a way to order one?

14. maracox

maracox Member

I found a new japanese company called s3n fx who makes two amazing glitch / stutter pedals, the super flutter and micro flutter. Look up the according youtube videos.

Unfortunately, all further info on the web is in japanese which I don't understand. Does anybody have more info?

15. mwfx

mwfx Member

There's a batch about to be finished and should be back in stock tomorrow.

The S3n came out about 6 months ago and was originally called Supper Judder, sore subject. It's 8bit so perhaps not the nicest sound quality but has tap tempo and an auto change of the rate which the other pedals don't have.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  16. MHermans

MHermans Member

That large Judder pedal looks killer. I'm a Hexe fan and this seems to have a different feature set

17. myrnaloy

myrnaloy Member

I love the Hexe Revolver (and also have a MASF Possessed) but the Judder looks like it has a different feature set. In addition i think the interface will yield some unique results.

Ordered!

18. mwfx

mwfx Member

Thanks! Aside from the glitchy 'brrrr' sound it covers many functions when combining settings. Some fairly mundane (momentary volume cut/boost or tremolo, gating), some more interesting (triggered pads, analog 'barberpole' type effects).

19. maracox

maracox Member

Could You describe the workings of the triggered pad function.

20. mwfx

mwfx Member

I meant that you can trigger the effect by gating it with the envelope, LFO or footswitch and layer onto a short sample for a smoother repeat