Global Shipper and Boutique Dealer Fail

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fiftynine, Jan 25, 2012.

1. fiftynine

fiftynine Member

I don't want to add images or particulars at this stage:

I bought a new amp made by one of the larger boutique companies from a dealer in 2011. With shipping by one of the more expensive companies, we're talking $4000 plus. Not cheap. The amp arrived damaged and I've spent the last 3 months trying for a resolution.

The amp isn't mangled but is sufficiently damaged that it requires a new cab at ~$1000 to my door. There was also some damage that had to have been repaired before it was boxed for it's journey to me. The dealer offered me no explanation about that and was happy to lump all the damage in with the shipper claim. He's pretty difficult to get any sense out of and ignores me unless I pester him on the phone.

The shippers are saying the manufacturers packaging was not sufficient. The dealer is saying he can't do anything except file a claim with the shipper. I can't use the dealers shipping account to return the amp so it's going to cost me royal to send it back. The dealer messed me about so badly at the start, I went outside any distance selling regulations and I'm not sure I trust him with the money and the amp.

Any experience with this? What would you do?

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Wow. Sorry to hear this.
    Have you contacted the builder of the amp directly?
    You might get some resolution there, that while not completely clearing up the issue, it may be the most cost-effective option.

3. randelli

randelli Member

That is a tough issue with no happy ending. As a builder myself I do everything I can to package an amp to protect it against shipping damage - and cross my fingers. I insure the delivery, of course, but that does not prevent the possibility of shipping damage, and eventually there will be a damaged amp upon arrival.

Shippers always say that the package was not secure enough - unless you take it to the shipper and have them package it for you. This adds a tremendous cost to shipping and most builders do not take this extra step.

I had an amp damaged by UPS over the summer. The box was perfect, no damage, but the chassis was tweaked and bent inside the box. Who's fault was it? Definitely NOT my buyer! I paid for the return of the chassis and made the repairs; and paid for shipping back to the buyer. My claim has not settled yet; but when it does it will cover my extra expense. I certainly didn't want to eat the damage; but I did the right thing.

Because of my proactive approach to rectify the issue, this was handled quickly and quietly. In the end I had a very happy buyer that is still very satisfied with my amp and service after the sale. I am a small builder and customer relations is the MOST important thing.

I know this doesn't answer your question really, but maybe it sheds some light from a builders perspective. I only hope that your builder would step up and take care of you first, and deal with the claim behind the scene. A $1,000 cab is nothing if it makes for a happy buyer and good PR!

Good Luck!!

4. fiftynine

fiftynine Member

Yes, I have contacted the builder and the 1000 dollars for a new cab comes directly from them with no preferential treatment. I should point out I'm in Europe so I've got import tax and duties to consider which takes it up to 1000 US.

For those who've PM'd to ask which dealer it is, do you mind if I hold off telling for the time being? If you're buying outside of Europe, I doubt you'll get hosed by this dealer.

randelli, I agree. Even with the expanding foams bags, double boxing etc, the mass of the chassis and trannies will lead to damage sooner or later. But that damage should be accidental, not from the routine 'chucking about' I've seen with my own eyes. It sounds like you did the right thing by your customer. This dealer pulled all the classic strokes. I knew it was happening but coud do nothing.

I've documented the whole sorry story and will post it up here but not until I have lost all hope with the dealer.

5. fiftynine

fiftynine Member

P.S. Please keep sending your PM's and I will let you know when I can.

6. MCK

MCK Member

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

So if I'm hearing this right there was some damage before the dealer shipped to you which was repaired at that time but you can tell... Perhaps the builder shipped new to dealer and it got damaged enroute and the dealer tried to salvage the issue. Either way seems to me that the builder has to make this right for you and possibly sack that dealer... There are many builders with amazing stories on TGP where they came through for even 2nd hand purchases etc. Its best to stick to these well known names I guess when buying from overseas.

Having to send back at your cost is totally unforgivable if you ask me. It was damaged on arrival!

7. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I love Scott Splawn. :) he seems to have many very happy customers. I've asked him questions about a couple second hand products of his and he got back to me himself within just a few hours with paragraphs of info for me. He's a busy guy with a little shop. But man. He's a cool guy.

8. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

This just sucks. Really sorry to hear it.

I have to say that the retailer has really dropped the ball bigtime IMHO. They should take responsibility for the amp until it's delivered to you in good condition, including dealing with the shipper (that they selected, paid & insured the goods through, presumably) directly & not hassle you unless you need to arrange a return shipment.

If the shipping company deems it to be packed inadequately, there's no way in hell you should be caught up in that mess... clear responsibility of the retailer to package it properly. The prior damage & repair is pretty disturbing too... really makes me wonder about the whole situation.

Honestly, I'd contact my credit card company, explain what has happened & see if a refund is a possibility.

I really feel for ya, man... and I truly hope it works out better than the pain you've endured the past 3 months.

9. fiftynine

fiftynine Member

Thanks for the kind words, lads. I have it in perspective in the scheme of things but I don't want him to get away with it either.

Yes, MCK. That's exactly it. I discovered after a week or so, some damage that had previously been repaired and it wasn't a pretty repair either. But, it was in a place you woudn't usually look. If the said damage had occurred in the box, the box would be wrecked. The box was used but not wrecked. I did notice the box was from a slightly different model that's still on the dealers website. He had one of each.

So, either the shippers took it out of the box, damaged it, repaired it in a hurry, hoped no one would notice and delivered it anyway or, at least some of the damage occurred before it was boxed to be sent to me.

coldfingaz, The dealer insisted on a bank transfer....no CC for shipments abroad he said. We're both in the EU, but in different countries.

It feels like he's got me stitched up from every angle right now.

10. MCK

MCK Member

EU has pretty strong consumer protection laws no? Just file a complaint with the consumer rights agency in the dealers country/city and continue to pursue with the builder. If the shipper is saying packaging was not adequate and the retailer shipped to you in another models carton box etc there is a good chance you need to make this right with the builder. The dealer in question sounds like a no good company. The more you talk to such people the more messy these things get. Go up the food chain. And publish names so others avoid these scumbags. I will write to the builder and tell him/her I will never buy his product unless he/she forces this dealer to make this issue go away or does so himself. Lets just draft a simple letter and we all can send a copy wheres the harm in doing that. I have come to learn (ref Farndurk case...) collective noise is always louder than individual words. PM me the details please.

All the best

11. Category 5

Category 5 Member

I will not ship an amp anywhere, us or overseas - that is not in a tour grade flight case. No other way to protect them.

DonR

12. MCK

MCK Member

Great website. Just had a chance to check it out. Some of your products are sold online with a shopping cart. I went through the order process just to see how it works. Are you saying [above] that the listed prices for your products include the cost of a tour grade flight case and do all your amps come with a flight case? Sorry to take this OT but wanted to clarify. Thanks

13. fiftynine

fiftynine Member

MCK, I really appreciate the offer to draft a letter. The truth is, I don't know enough about EU consumer rights, distance selling regulations etc and wouldn't know where to start. I haven't the time or resources to look into it at the minute.

I have sent an email to the dealer (the buck stops with him as far as I'm concerned) with a deadline for a resolution that is not too far away. If that doesn't work, I will tell the whole story here and PM you for some help.

Don, if you treat an amp in a tour grade flight case how I've seen the big global shippers, it will mangle the chassis.