• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Glove on Steve Morse's right hand

melondaoust

Hey,

This is just plain curiosity, but I've noticed lately that Steven Morse has been wearing a fingerless glove on his right hand recently at shows. Anyone know what this is/why?

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Man that really sucks. He's an incredible musician, but I don't think he's done anything that would generate a lot of residual income. It's either play, teach, or live on what you've saved.

melondaoust

Man that really sucks. He's an incredible musician, but I don't think he's done anything that would generate a lot of residual income. It's either play, teach, or live on what you've saved.
I'm sure the Deep Purple gig has paid well over the years...

gtrplyr1

That is a bummer if he has to wear the glove full time. I sometimes wear one myself, the slight compression from a fingerless leather glove is comforting for the ache I sometimes get in my hands, I often sleep with them on, and even use them after eating Chinese, the excess salt makes my hands swell, feel stiff. It sucks when your hands aren't up to par if you play guitar full time.

Reactions: rsm

dazco

This is just a guess, but something i noticed about his picking grip years ago is that theres only one person i have ever seen hold a pick the way he does, and that would be me. The reason i mention is is thats a horribly bad way to hold it and causes your hand all sorts of problems with tension. I quit that and went to the traditional method about 1990, and i improved infinitely as far as playing and hand tension. It's really a crippling way to pick and i can't help but wonder if thats what caused his problems. I dunno how i ever came to hold the pick like that, but he's the only other person i have seen that does and i think if it were provable i might be willing to wager a good bit of coin thats the reason for his problems. For me it was a revelation to say the least, but the problem is that it takes a long time to break that habit and learn to hold it differently and maybe he just can't deal with that or maybe doesn't even realize it. Or maybe i'm wrong. But in any case it took me about 6 months to get comfortable enough to comfortably play gigs with the common thumb/index method. Now if i try and hold the pick like that it feels like trying to walk with both legs in hip high casts. I can't imagine how i ever played like that, and even more insane, how HE can play so amazingly like that.

Ethn Hayabusa

It probably doesn't help (pick grip), but the bigger issue is that he practiced more than anyone when he was younger. Combined with the wear and tear of being a Hay farmer as well as a seasoned pilot, he has a lot of mileage on his hands.

For what it is worth, James Hetfield and Chris Poland also hold the pick the same way. Eddie Van Halen's grip is similar, but he doesn't pick as much as Steve.

FFTT

Sorry to hear Steve is having issues.
I was wearing a single white cutoff glove as a signature appearance thing playing shows back in '73-'74.

melondaoust

20 some yrs ago when SM was flying commercially he talked of practicing, w/o amp of course, while driving to work. (via mag interview)
Yep...
  • Matt: There’s a rumor that I’ve heard for years about you and I’m wondering if you can set the record straight for our readers. There’s a legend that you use to drive around with your knees so that you could practice while you were in the car. Is that just rock myth or is there any truth to that story?

Steve Morse: It’s true, but a little different than people think. First of all, I was working as an airline pilot at the time and I still wanted to record and perform music, but not depend on the music business financially. I wanted to be able to make any decision that I wanted with my music and not have to depend on it to pay the bills.

So, my job was as an airline pilot and I lived 75 miles from work and I had to report in every day. There was so much going on, and I was getting so little sleep that there wasn’t really enough time to practice. The only time I could practice the guitar was driving to and from work. What I did was put Velcro pads on the steering wheel so that my knee wouldn’t get tired, then I would use a mini guitar to practice. It was I-75, and that part of 75 isn’t busy.

I’ve been doing that for decades and so I could run a slalom course driving with my knees. I learned that in college when I was trying to eat and rush to class at the same time. [Laughs] If there was any traffic I would just set the guitar down, but otherwise it was totally no problem. I don’t have to look at my guitar to practice scales you know.

I don’t think there was a safety factor at all. In fact, anybody who criticizes me for that I would love to challenge them to a driving test with me driving with my knees and them talking on their cellphones and driving at the same time. It’s how and when you do it that makes it safe or not respectful to other people. If there was any traffic I’d always slow down and grab the wheel. It’s how you do things that makes them safe or not, I think.
Source : http://guitarinternational.com/2011/01/12/steve-morse-outstanding-in-his-field/

Madison

He could always go back to work as a commercial pilot I guess
It's happened before. Cameron Duncan of Amazing Rhythm Aces (3rd Rate Romance), and Sawyer Brown, who's a killer guitarist left the stage and has been a captain of Southwest Airlines the past 20 years or so. Apparently he will sometimes do a little 'guitar jam' for the passengers.

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
IIRC Morse had this technique with his right hand where he straightened his fingers and pinched the pick, and all the movement was in his wrist. It looks really uncomfortable.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC Morse had this technique with his right hand where he straightened his fingers and pinched the pick, and all the movement was in his wrist. It looks really uncomfortable.
He also has more mileage on the instrument than just about anyone. If he's not out w/ Purple, he's out w/ his own band, or in the recording studio. Plus he does clinics, product demos and is a practice fiend. Not much down-time to recover.

Trending Topics