Glowhoof (plexi led) techniques and help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I've had loads of questions about the glowhoof technique I've been experimenting with. the truth is that this technique can not be patented so I think we should share it, and develop it for the greater good of looking kick ass on stage!!!!!!!
    I developed this technique to help a partially blind friend to see his pedals on stage independently of other attempts after seeing a similar technique used in our new TV news set where I work.
    I'm aware that there are other similar mods on the market, but I didn't steal or copy the idea.
    These are the pics from my board build threads-

Reflective plasma glow (using filed down LEDs for a softer effect)
    [​IMG]

Tierglow prototype activated by TB strip selection; the TB strip has minijack outs conected to the LEDs. The TB strip LEDS glow too, but when the jack is added the tier changes colour depending on what is selected. For example:
    1.)Clean - nothing
    2.)Chorus - blue
    3.)OD - red
    4.)flanger - purple
    Additionally there are lots of combinations of colours providing a miriad of pallettes which looks amazing on dimly lit stages. (photos later):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BOSS glowhoof mod (probably the easiest and fastest):
    [​IMG]

Mini LED tester.
    i opened up a cheap lighter and removed the 3 1.5 volt batteries and holder to test LEDs in the plexi because it was much faster and more practacle than a transformer and breadboard:
    [​IMG]

Notice that the LEDs are filed down on the top.

You can now easily pick and mix before you mount the footplate:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The LED should be centred, this is what it looks like independantly:
    [​IMG]
    and in the dark:
    [​IMG]
    This particular LED is a standard one, not high power.

The footplate is easy enough to cut and mount - plain sailing and no damage to the pedal:
    [​IMG]

The same goes for a wah:
    [​IMG]
    This one will have two different coloured LEDs to make it more interesting.:
    [​IMG]

It would be great if we could have some input from others regarding resistors, i.e. which one to remove from non TB pedals such as boss etc in order to have 2 LEDs active, voltages etc, as well as buffing techniques to get the best glow.
    It is incredibly difficult to photograph the glow - the photos above do not represent the true beauty of the mod!!!
    John

2. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I'm using slightly dimmer LEDs because I'm putting my pedals on my metalboard which is highly reflective:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

...yeah its cool,,, you can just put a lexan bottom on a vibe that uses a lamp inside and it pulses color:AOK

4. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

That's my next trick!!!!!!!!
    try grabbing a reflector from an LED bike light to do the job - stuning effect - same with optotrems!

P.S. sorry for crappy phonecam pics.

5. Don Rusk

Yeah its fun ! I was experimenting with this a few years ago for Bob Sweets Mojovibes - was looking at using full plexi cases that would pulse with the vibe - have to enclose some or all of the 'innards' -- slave an LED off the 'bulb' ...... still might on something similar...:AOK

6. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

Nice info:AOK thanks

7. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Any know-how on plexi diffusion/dispertion/refraction to share???????
    I'm using trail and error plus different ways of buffing the edges to get the glow more blurry.

8. Don Rusk

translucent paint...

or if your led is bright enough just run Sharpie marker around the edge in a lighter color or one that matches the pedal paint, then its a bit stealthier'

9. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

here's a tiny board for my acoustic simulator out - it sits on my amp feeding the FX loop return and the behringer :hideis also a DI box to the desk. I employed a 3 LED plasma glowfoot blue thing in it:
    basic board:
    [​IMG]
    Mimi plasma lighting:
    [​IMG]
    Loaded a ready to go:
    [​IMG]
    gut shot (not finished yet though):
    [​IMG]

Should look quite neat sitting on my amp.

10. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

there we go!!!
    Actually I think I'll probably put it on my extension box because it looks better. You can't see the glowhoof effect too well here bacause I don't know how to use a camera!
    [​IMG]