gl's vs elc vs bl cable for pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tonewave, Jan 16, 2008.

1. tonewave

tonewave Member

I'm about to redo my board
    I am over gl's, which is what is on the board now (mid bark, can be dodgy etc.)
    just wondering if elc or bl cable is a really noticeable sonic difference to gl's,
    and out of those 2 which is the most transparent sounding.

Also elc users, is the new solderless system realiable IYO?
    thanks

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Never tried elc, but I'm fairly picky and love the Bill Lawrence Wilde cable and connectors. There's been several threads lately. I did a head-to-head test with a 20' GL and 20' Wilde and the Wilde sounded much better to me. Better balanced eq, warmer, and exceptional clarity. I just got in another 50' of cable and 60+ connectors last week.

3. tonewave

tonewave Member

any elc users out there that can compare to gl's?

4. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I find that the ELC's are unbelievably transparent and balanced than my old GL's. The GL's really are brighter in comparison. I definitely ordered a second pedalboard kit to have my board completely ELC after hearing the difference the first cables made. I also use the ELC cable from my guitar to board and board to amp.

As far as reliability and ease of use/building the cables, they are top notch, and a breeze to assemble after you figure out the first one.

5. tonewave

tonewave Member

thanks jb
    the elc pedalboard kit is what exactly I'm interested in,
    with the elc's do they take up more space than the gl's?
    my board is packed pretty tight and there ain't much space to spare :)

6. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

not really...well the ELC ends for the kit (as long as your not talking his new solderless kit) are you standard size right angles..the cable however is thinner .195 i believe. (its the new lava mini)

i can offer GL vs ELC........im a thumbs up on the ELC...fuller,balanced etc. im redoing my monsters on my board tomorrow with ELC. i already run amp to board ELC and i like it better than GL. the board switch should really help....all in all id go ELC..great price point for what you get..dont spend more just to spend it...your rig will sound fantastic..they are high grade enough...imho

edit: just figured id throw in another ELC...ELC......it wasnt typed in enough in my post..

7. tonewave

tonewave Member

missing dave thanks
    I am leaning towards the solderless due to the fact I change my board
    to match each tour I do
    I am also thinking that ELC will be fine to go from board to amp, no need to go overboard (read vovox) for that

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

The BL short connectors are the smallest 1/4" I've ever seen; excellent for pedalboards. And they are super easy to assemble and are tough as a rhino, very reliable.

9. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Im using BL now. had the kit for awhile. finally had time yesterday. I only did one cable. but it works. and im a happy man. eerr i mean. boy. or kid. whatever. teen.

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Tony at Evidence Audio sent me some of his new Monorail cable last week. I have a mix of GL and Mogami + G&H on my board, so I replaced all the GL cable with Monorail, using the GL plugs, leaving only 2 short Mogamis, and the difference was very noticeable, even using the GL solderless plugs with the Monorail.

Just another option to consider.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

No issues with solderless connectors and that small solid core monorail?
    The connector pin would just touch the conductor (press next to) in this case instead of actually being pushed down into a strand and have contact all the way around it. I have a sample of the monorail bu I'm not too crazy about the solid conductor. I would end up soldering all those.

12. NicDo

NicDo Member

My last pedal board was all GL cable. now my g system rig uses all Lava mini ELC. i never A/B'ed them, but i do remember the GL's being brighter. wasn't exactley harsh to me, but these ELC are more transparent. and Lava's quality is at the highest level.

13. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

There is confusion here that needs to be set straight...
    If you are looking for "transparency" and "clarity" then GL's are what you actually want. They do not ADD presence or brightness...the simply allow more of it to come through. If you want to attenuate that, then what you are really looking for is something that is not as transparent.

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Yah, it was a hassle to get them to work. I did everything methodically and carefully, but still, it was hit and miss. But I finally got 7 good working cables. I agree that soldering the Monorail to G&H plugs would be the best.

If Tony hadn't sent me some Monorail, I would have probably gone with Mark's new ELC & solderless plugs, which are a welcome upgrade to the solderless realm.

Regardless of the terms we use, the tone from the Monorail was much more to 'my' liking than the tones with the GL cable, and my preference is for clarity, accuracy, musicality, richness, fullness, naturalness, etc.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Member

GL's are bright, but that doesn't mean they have clarity. Clarity is the ability of a cable to maintain individual note definition and is also related to transient response (keeping the notes of a chord together to where they hit your ears at the same time, as played, and don't get smeared.)

The BL cable is perfectly balanced to my ears. Sure it may be attenuating some highs but that just translates to better balanced for me. Also you can hear and feel the lowend better...the GL is just lacking.

It's not just about capacitance and how much high end is present or attenuated. The material drawn for the conductor has a measureable frequency response.

16. jamison162

jamison162 Member

The BL is exaclty that, for me, compared to the GL.

17. hbentley

hbentley Member

gl's are a nightmare for a touring/gigging player. i've been so much happier with my lava cable (van damme)

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I'll weigh-in on this topic, as I use ELC, BL, GL and others.

The ELC, BL and GL cable, for me and my rig, is very similar - bright, punchy, alive. I give the nod to the ELC for being slightly more balanced, but I can only detect this in a studio setting.

The GL connectors were never awful for me, but they weren't as reliable as the BL connectors - which are awesome.

The BL cable/connectors are the hands-down value leader among the three, IMO.

19. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Are we talking standard ELC or the mini-ELC here?

20. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

They're the same cable.