glue for EVM12l speaker

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Luthierwnc, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Luthierwnc

Luthierwnc Member

Hi guys;

I have an EBay EV 12l speaker. The front gasket glue is failing around the rim of the frame. On these speakers, the cone is attached to the gasket. There is a thin strip of brown glue which holds them together which is about 2/3 gone. The cone looks fine and it is still sufficiently intact to reattach accurately (I hope).

Does anybody know what kind of glue to use in sticking the gasket back down?

Thanks, Skip

2. audiozone

audiozone Member

i used to do reconing, and i will still recone electro voice speakers if asked. for years speaker glue was traditionaly slow setting. it could also be desolved with a special solvent and cleaned off when the speaker needed reconing. i always bought it from the reconing parts supplier and i don't know what it would compare to on the consumer market. new ways of doing it use fast setting glues like epoxy and super glue. if a recone is needed the old glue can chipped of with a sharp tool like a wood chisel. if it was mine i would use a little epoxy. one thing i personaly would not use on the frame to cone contact area is silcone rubber.

3. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Why not use silicone?Just curious.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

5. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Thinking hard to get off, and flexible too.

And rubber cement is like silicon rubber on steriods...
    hmmm.

Two part epoxy is solid and doesn't move at all.
    No changes happening when under load.

Any one else?

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Ampnerd. Our resident amp poet.

Just add some music and you've got a hit song.To the tune of
    MacArthur's Park

7. Luthierwnc

Luthierwnc Member

The way I see this playing out would be to run a utility knife around the damaged edge to clean the surface. Then I'll probably mark the area, lay down the glue and clamp it in place. Once dry, I'll run the knife around the remaining original seal and slip a little glue in the crack.

My biggest concern is getting something compatable with the current glue since there won't be a reliable way to clean the residue on the cone/gasket. A thin-set urethane might work. I use epoxy for guitars a lot but it can get brittle. I am going to guess that this needs just a little give to absorb the vibration. The original glue line only uses about half the width of the gasket. I won't be so delicate.

This is going into a Thiele cab built to EV specs so it is front-loaded. Back-loading would help cinch the gasket to the baffle. With no pressure on the gasket, it is only the glue bond that holds it in place.

Thanks guys!

Skip

8. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

Here's a quote from http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com

High strength, slow cure cyanoacrylate adhesive is used to attach the coil, spider and cone for a lightweight superior glue joint. Moyen RS-3087 adhesive is supplied with each kit for attaching the spider and surround to the speaker frame.

Moyen Speaker Repair Adhesive / Glue
    This is the same JBL, Moyen RS-3087 Cement that JBL includes with there recone kits.

9. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I can't recall the song, Brain fart here.

Lime Wire can't find it either.

So how does the melody go?

:bkw