Glue for inlay

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Hi everybody, the mother of pearl inlay on my Trini Lopez fell off, and I need to glue this back in. What kind of glue would work best for this? It's a pretty old guitar (1967 or thereabouts). Thanks for the help ! Howard

guirat

I'm coming around to the fact I'll probably have to use CA too. My Epi LP has a couple of lifting inlays.

Having read through countless threads on how to reglue inlays the choices seem to be CA, epoxy or PVA (white wood glue).
I tried Elmer's wood glue and clamping but the inlays didn't remain stuck down. Right now I have electrical tape over the raised inlays so I don't snag them with a string or finger when playing.

I've found it difficult to reach for the superglue as the manufacturer didn't appear to require it originally, but I think my reticence could be OCD at play.
Just my thoughts on a similar issue.

hogy

I'm coming around to the fact I'll probably have to use CA too. My Epi LP has a couple of lifting inlays.

Having read through countless threads on how to reglue inlays the choices seem to be CA, epoxy or PVA (white wood glue).
I tried Elmer's wood glue and clamping but the inlays didn't remain stuck down. Right now I have electrical tape over the raised inlays so I don't snag them with a string or finger when playing.

I've found it difficult to reach for the superglue as the manufacturer didn't appear to require it originally, but I think my reticence could be OCD at play.
Just my thoughts on a similar issue.

It is best to remove the inlay first and get rid of all the old glue. Especially if you've already got Elmer's glue in there.

Once it is cleaned up, I reglue it with superglue gel, not thin superglue.

guirat

Thank you for your advice on cleaning out the old glue (possibly why my initial repair didn't hold) and the teflon sheet, I'll do this once I've gathered all the materials required.

Trending Topics