Gluing in Frets

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DWB1960, Jan 16, 2006.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

What type of glue should you use? Superglue or Epoxy?

2. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

There's no right answer for this one.

I use a CA (superglue). I've tried hide and wood glues in the past per recommendations from other luthiers but I prefer CA for the quick setup time. I think epoxy would be my last choice since it makes fret removal difficult even with heat.

4. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

i usually add a drop at each end before the fret goes in. i try to prep the fret slots so the frets go in easy, but the slot still holds the fret on its own. the glue is just a little extra bit of insurance/peace of mind.

oh and i use the ca glue.

5. larry1096

larry1096 Member

It also depends on WHY you're using glue. If you're using glue because the fret slots are too wide (or you're doing an initial 'glue-in' fret job), CA is probably what you want. Maybe even the gel formula, if the gaps are very wide. Remember, you don't want any air in the fret slot (at all!), so the gap-filling will help out there.

If you're doing a 'normal' (i.e., 'mechanical') refret and you're just looking for a bit of insurance, Titebond can both lubricate the fret and give it a bit of extra stability when it's dried.

HTH,

Larry

6. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

Warmoth injects gel super-glue into the slots before installing frets.

7. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Pacer slow dry super glue.