GMD "Luther Drive" .....A winner in my book !!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteelerFan88, Feb 15, 2012.

1. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

I'll tell ya'...... I have been playing guitar and trying gear for over 25+ years and have owned many, many effects, gadgets & gizmos and wish I could have back just 1/10'th of the money I have spent over the years! I have VERY expensive & particular tastes when it comes to my music gear and have never been a very "thrifty" shopper towards my hobby. I own an early version of the Klon (gold horse) and I was able to do an intensive A/B comparison between the two this morning. I just recieved a used Luther last week and have been enjoying it very much. I put both pedals head to head through my Victoria Tweed deluxe and a Dulce 18w 1974x and was really surprised at the results ! I play PRS guitars exclusively and to my ears the Luther "cut" through a little better in my opinion. I do think that if one is playing through a lesser quality amplifier, the Klon will better improve the overall tone of the rig (thicker/full sound) but when pairing a high quality guitar and a top shelf amp, the Luther brings a little more clarity/chime to the table. I have owned my Klon for many years and did not pay the insane price they fetch now. I paid $300.00 used for mine back in the late 90's. I know that tone & feel are relative to who's playing the device(s) but for me the Luther Drive is every bit as well made and sounds great ! I have always been a "Tubescreamer' lover and I think GMD has done a very nice job on his Luther drive. Those of you on the fence about the Luther......have no fear.....it's a GREAT "Screamer" box but with a tad more clarity (brighter) with a tad less hump in the midrange. The Klon is a great effect as well but I do not think it is worth all the hype & $$$$:omg they are getting. I will hang on to mine a few more years then sell it and laugh all the way to the bank ! Over the years I have learned to buy high quality gear....be patient when learning how to use it.....HAVE FUN ! To each his own I guess. These are just my humble and not so professional opinions ofcourse. :bonk

good guitar= the meat
    good amplifier= the potatoes
    good effect= the spice
    :agree

2. jacoblee83

jacoblee83 Member

I've had a keeley modded sparkle drive and borrowed a luther from a friend. GMD sent it to him to try it out. It was a cool custom dark green color. While I had both on my board I kept going back to the Luther. It just had more guts to the sound. 'Guts' being the technical scientific term. Anyways, I loved it. I wonder if people shy away from the Luther because of GMD's head to head demos where he usually downplays it or even favors other pedals over it. Obviously he maintains credibility with honesty but I'm searching for a Luther right now!!

3. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I bought a Luther direct from GMD about a year ago. I still think it's one of the best sounding overdrives ever. It just works with my gear. not too dirty, not too clean. It's skinny and fat in all the right places. Mojo, man. It's got it.

CHEAP AS HELL TOO!

4. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

One of my favorites!

5. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

cool. I should be receiving one via trade shortly.

6. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

I've been curious about the Luther Drive. I love GMD's demo videos as much as the next guy, but he doesn't strike me as the sort of dude who packs the sort of electronics know how to cook up some genius unique custom OD circuit.

So what is the Luther Drive exactly? A modded TS style OD or something else?

7. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely the best TS pedal out there. I love mine and would never drop it.

8. Preacherofrock

Preacherofrock Member

Absolutely the biggest staple on my board. I swap pedals constantly, and the Luther is the only effect I have had on my board since the day I got it (at least 2 years ago). It has killed off at least 7 drives from my board in its lifespan, and sounds great with any amp I throw at it.

9. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

So how does it do on the low-gain kinda boost thing?

I am a low-gain/breakup kinda guy and for reference I have a love fest going on with my pre-mos FD2 in comp-cut with the drive on 8 o'clock and the boost on 7 o'clock ish...

10. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

He has never claimed to be a serious electronics guru or anything like that. He simply took a Maxon OD808 (his favorite TS pedal) and smoothed out the mid hump a tad and added a touch of brightness. That's it. He has stated this several times.......it's no big secret. 99.9% of ALL of our pedals/gadgets & gizmos are a copy or modified clone of something.

11. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

Cool, thanks for the info. Wasn't meaning to imply he'd ever misrepresented himself or the pedal, was just curious. Cheers!

12. Lution

Lution Member

I love my Luther Drive. It's never leaving my board. I use it to add just a touch of grit to the clean channel on my EVH 5150 III and also to boost the Blue Channel. It works perfectly.