GMP guitars- When did they start making guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Caroway, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Caroway

Caroway Member

Hi guys. I'm new here. I heard about this site from the HC forums.

I recently picked up a GMP guitar and it doesn't have a serial number below the headstock like the regular production models do. So, I unscrewed the pups to see if anything was written in the cavity and in the neck cavity it said "Assembled by Glenn M-something (it was written in cursive and I couldn't make it out.) 1996. And in the bridge cavity it said, "Gary Moline Guitars". I took off the back plate where the pots are and on the lip was #126.

It is an Elite body style, pictured below in 2000. It was owned by Matt from Caroline's Spine. (thats him in the pictures)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody know anything about the history of GMP?

2. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I played a few that belonged to artists I worked with... not bad, certainly as well built as a PRS or Baker. Nothing special. Maybe if they'd had better marketing they'd be in the game today.

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

GMP was started by some amazing talented guys who were from the original Charvel/Jackson factory in San Dimas. The Glenn M who assembled your guitar is a guy I have known since I was in 8th grade! Glenn and Dave and some other guys started and ran GMP until they (sadly) closed early this year. I havent seen these guys in 6+ years, but followed their work via the website, and other friends. I have a Pawn Shop Classic (LP style) and it's a stellar piece of work, it's my fav of any LP type guitars I have ever played. I'm guessing if you have no serial number, you have a way early prototype.

4. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Caroline's Spine! One of my favorite bands!

I first saw GMP at the WInter NAMM show in 1996. I have pictures of their booth that year-I'll dig them up and post them here.

5. Caroway

Caroway Member

That'd be awesome.

I was just wondering how much it was worth. I have played a lot of PRS's and gibsons and none of them have ever had teh build quality that this guitar has. Solid Mahogany. Scultped neck heel. I picked this up at a pawn shop. I had seen it hanging there for over 2 years and so I bought it cause it looked pretty cool and had some serious sustain.

The pups are SD 59N and a CC Bridge.

6. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I have a S.D. Curlee that I got the same way. It's still not worth much more than the dust that was on it, but its a screamin slide guitar.

Who cares what they are worth, if you buy cheap enough just play it.

7. Caroway

Caroway Member

I tried calling GMP's # (crossed my fingers for luck) but its a residential number now.

DAMN!!! Oh well. I just wanna find out more about this guitar.

I like this forum alot. seems like a lot less BS than the HC forum.

8. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Carowaqy...I also bought a GMP in a PAwn Shop...Damn fine instrument and I got a heck of a price cause nobody here knows anything about em. Great guitar and I think they will go up in value.

GP

9. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I think they went under this year. Somehow, they had a weird co-business with guitars and some household appliance, like a juicer. The juicer business took the guitar business down. Something along those lines.
    I always remember them by their sparkly paint jobs, takes on classic designs that weren't quite copies, and fringe of metal existance.

10. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

That's an idea! A guitar with a built in juicer! Great for those hot outdoor gigs!