gmw wait time,MISLEAD,anyone else have same problem

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shredman, Jun 5, 2005.

1. shredman

shredman Guest

i orded a guitar in august of 2004 ,with the time frame that the guitar and graphics would be done in 6 months.as soon as lee garver recieved my down payment,i was told 8 months then when 8 months rolled around i was told ten months ,,now as it stands i am being told 14 months,and i still have not seen the new headstocks,,i dodnt mind waiting a bit ,but now i feel i have been totally mislead,,im sure the guitar will come out excellent,,but i would have never signed on knowing i be waiting 14 months,AND I AM SURE THAT WILL PUSH UP TO 18 MONTHS FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD FROM OTHER OWNERS,,IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO HAS GONE THROUGH THE SAME ******** SITUATION,,,THANKS

2. shredman

shredman Guest

hasnt anyone here dealt with gmw?

3. snoopy1@isoc.ne

snoopy1@isoc.ne Silver Supporting Member

They build great guitars. One thing I cant stand is to wait after a dead line. I had the # 23

4. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Yep, I've bought several GMWs and Lee's wait times are getting silly.
    I understand Dan Lawarence is booked solid, so if you are having graphics done, that's a big hold up.
    Otherwise, there are others in the same boat, so...I know that don't help much, but I know of one person who has waited over two years so far.

Great way to run a busienss, huh?

5. Troy Baer

Troy Baer Member

GMW does most of the CNC routing and finishing work for RS Guitars, and it took them 17 months to get me the RS Classic I ordered from them in 2001. Admittedly part of that was because they redesigned parts of the guitar shortly after I ordered it, but still...

6. VinceV

VinceV Member

I ordered a simple, bolt on maple hockey headstock, charvel body, 1 hum, floyd in white, in early September, I was told to expect an ETA of November/early december at latest. Gave my 1/2 down deposit. Here we are in June(9 months later). Still have heard nothing. I'm thinking about cancelling my order. You should see what Hamer made for me in 2 months. Yeah they make(or put together) nice stuff, but nothing that is heads above anything else out there. The reason to go to them, was that they could get you a nice Custom Charvel style guitar, for less money/wait. Now it's not uncommon to hear of 1-2 year waits for their stuff. What's the point when it can take less time to get a real Jackson/Charvel Custom Shop piece now.

7. rjlaero1

rjlaero1 Guest

I'm out of the loop......who is GMW?

8. shredman

shredman Guest

gmw builds custom guitars and dan lawrence is the graphic artist who airbrushes graphics if you so desire,,,

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I ordered a guitar from GMW last year and Lee pushed the ETA back 2 months, but I still got it with a total of a 5 month wait period. I think they've got a lot going on for a smaller scale operation. Keep emailing him and see if that doesn't help push things along some.

10. Randy

Randy Member

I put 2/3rd's down on a banana headstock frankenstrat in January. He never would commit to a delivery date so I have no idea how much longer it will be. I don't really mind though. The price is unbeatable and by all accounts the quality is topnotch. The wait is worth it to me - although check back with me in another 6 months LOL.

11. shredman

shredman Guest

i knew i was in for a long wait,but when your told 6 months,,then 8 months, then 10 months then 14 months,it gets frustrating.plus i feel i was mislead,and i get the feeling that date will get pushed up.had i known from the outset that it would take that long i would have been prepared, and or, i might have looked elseware,,i know dan lawrence is a great artist and lee garver builds great guitars but there are other builders and other artist that are apologetic about a 3 -4 month wait;;;where lee garver doesnt seem to give two ***** about his customers,,he has an attitude like the kid at mcdonalds who says your fries will be up in ten minutes;;;;not once has he said sorry for the dealy;;;;;

12. NickVig

NickVig Member

http://www.gmwguitars.com/

Lee Garver
    Neal Moser
    Pat Wilkins

Originally it was these three gentlemen. I have no idea what or if they are all still involved in GMW, but Lee is the one in charge.

Neal does his own guitars at his shop:

http://www.nealmoser.com/

He's a really nice guy, way down to earth and very cool.

And it looks like Pat is doing his own custom guitars as well:

http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/news.html

I've never met Pat, I've only seen some of his work that he did for other OEM's and some refins. They were all very nice.

13. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

GMW stands for
    Garver, Moser and Wizard (Dan Lawrence-God of Graphic Arts)

fwiw

14. NickVig

NickVig Member

Well, last time I was at Neal's house and we talked about GMW, he told me it was for Wilkins. But I guess one of the original people from the company could be wrong. Anything is possible.

fwiw:eek:

15. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

The W is originally for Pat Wilkins, Nick is correct.

16. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

I was just passing on what I read at Neil Moser's website. I was not questioning the accuracy of nvig's statement, just noting the discrepancy. I really couldn't care less either way, just trying to be helpful.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Here is the cut&paste:

"After leaving B.C. Rich in 1985 Neal met Lee Garver and agreed to join forces with Lee. Lee Garver owns GMW Guitar Works. The GMW stands for Garver, Moser and Wizard (Dan Lawrence-God of Graphic Arts). GMW is noted for it's quality guitars which are hand-made by master craftsmen and painted on the premises at GMWs own paint shop. For over 10 years Neal, Lee and Dan created Moser Guitars which were shown at the NAMM Show in Los Angeles from 1986-1998. Since that time Neal Moser has retired to the top of a mountain at the north end of the San Fernando Valley in an area known as Kagel Canyon. He still consults with Lee Garver of GMW Guitar Works and does specialized work for others by appointment only."

I guess someone should tell Neil(or his webmaster).

17. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Key word being "originally".
    There is some bad blood between them now...why mention your competition on your site?

18. Randy

Randy Member

I just wanted to update this thread on my GMW experience - I ordered a Frankenstrat with a banana headstock in January and it shipped yesterday - 5 months to the day. That is not an unreasonable lead time IMO and not any longer then I expected.

Lee was nothing but great to deal with through the entire process. He always answered all my emails immediately, thoroughly and courteously. He kept me updated a couple of times along the way without my bugging him. He even went so far as to ship the guitar 2nd day from California to the eastcoast at his expense so it wouldn't sit in a UPS depot all weekend! It doesn't get much better then that. He sent me a picture of the guitar and it looks perfect - exactly what I wanted. I don't have picture hosting but if anyone wants to see it E-mail me.

I suspect the delay a lot of you have experienced is directly due to Fender threatening to sue for patent infringement. My guess is that Lee has had his hands tied on making anything until a patent lawyer can assure him his new headstock designs will stand up under a Fender lawsuit. A process which I'm sure is not quick.

I would imagine Fender could potentially put a little guy like GMW out of business just by tying them up in court and running their legal bills through the roof, regardless of whether their suit had any merit or not. I wouldn't risk that if it was my company - I'd wait until I was absolutely assured that couldn't happen.

Anyway, just trying to see both sides of it. My experience with GMW has been great and I would definitely buy from him again. I can't wait to see the guitar in person!

19. shredman

shredman Guest

i understand,but when your told 6 months,and its already 10 months and your being told at least another 3 months before the necks are done,and then the wait for dan lawrence,thats about 16 months,,UNEXCEPTABLE,if i could get a refund i would.there are other companys that will build and do custom graphics in two to 3 months ,such as san dimas told me 8 to 12 weeks ,,in fact at this point i really am tired of excuses and would like to see if i can get a refund base on i was told 6 months not 16 months;;there are other builders and artist who are excellent and i dodnt need to see TWO BIRTHDAYS GO BY;;;;

20. graydane

graydane Member

extended waits like that does suck. If you were told it would take 18 months from the get go then cool, but not if it is like you mention. problem is probably with someone they sub the work out to that are holding them up.