GnR: November Rain vs. Estranged

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by omfg51, Feb 9, 2012.

Estranged v November Rain

1. Estranged

2. November Rain

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Which one do you like better? Honestly, I find that November Rain is sorely overrated compared to Estranged. Estranged just sounds cooler, and there are way more cool parts for all band members. November rain, it's mostly just the solo that gets the recognition.

Please, do not vote if you haven't heard both songs already, that would defeat the point of this poll. To aid this purpose, here are links to both songs on youtube.

November Rain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE&ob=av3e

Estranged: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmAY059TTY&ob=av2e

2. V-P

V-P Member

Estranged is one of my favourite songs ever, and has been for at least the last 20 years. I was about 7 or 8 when I heard it for the first time and it's been with me since.

3. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

I agree that November Rain is overrated and that Estranged is underrated, but having said that, I still prefer November Rain. November Rain would definitely be a mediocre song if not for the last 2 minutes.

4. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

Estranged. Pretty great arrangment wise, and good playing all around. Axl's voice has been better, but it's still a great song.

5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Rhyme scheme in Estranged is too complicated to follow, hence my preference for November Rain.

6. QQQ

QQQ Member

November Rain. Don't know why. I just like it better. Stephanie Seymour in the video doesn't suck either.

7. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I voted Estranged.

I can't believe this was 20 years ago. Where does the time go? The 90's were such a great time for me. Both songs bring special recollections of misspent youth.

8. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

"November Rain" by a Hollywood mile. One of the last great rock ballads that actually rocks. Plus, I just can't DEAL with the video for "Estranged," whereas the other one gave us what is probably my favorite iconic Slash moment, when he strides purposefully out of the church to wail his solo. How masterfully they strode the boundary of the superb and the ridiculous.

9. taez555

taez555 Member

Memories....

I remember how after November Rain became the BIG HIT to the point it was being played at middle school dances, Estranged was suddenly that song the "cool kids" said they liked better.

10. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

Tough call, love Slash's playing on both, i went with Estranged cuz it's less played out

11. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

I went with "Estranged" as well. The song has some really cool arrangements and chord changes, definitely a highlight of early-'90s hard rock IMHO. "November Rain" is a great tune also, but "Estranged" has those amazing bridges.

12. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Just wanted to add: Listening to the above-mentioned tuneage reminds of what a confusing, head-scratching move it was for G 'N' R to release 2 separate albums(Use Your Illusion I and II)at the same time. The best songs from both of those albums would've made an absolutely killer single record, or CD or whatever IMHO. And, yes, it could've been called just Use Your Illusion.

13. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

Possibly the fact that they'd sell twice as many albums at the height of their popularity may have had something to do with it. :bonk