GNX4 or GT-8?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by blues65, Oct 24, 2005.

1. blues65

blues65 Guest

Which one is better designed for recording and playing live? I have an argue with the other guys in the band, just wanna hear some opinions about it. Thank you guys..:)

2. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

3. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Well I'll trade you my GNX2 if ya want. Has the same sounds and feel just no recording onboard.

It sounds good but for me its not as versitle as pedals when it comes to tweaking on the fly.

4. jackstrat

jackstrat Guest

GNX4 has a great array of connectivity.

USB for recording and patch control

MIDI for patch control

Two sets of stereo line outs (1/4" and XLR) with individual trim controls.

Onboard MP3 / MIDI player for drums, backing tracks.

And with the new MFX supermodels, an unlimited number of great amps, cabs, and artist patches. We're talking 100's of amps, dozens of cabinets, and 100's of artist patches.

The best reverb and modulation effects in the business, good stompbox effects, pitch shifting, whammy, etc.

Jack Loganbill
    http://thewoodshop.20m.com/music01.htm

5. dannymusic

dannymusic Member

+1 for the GNX4.

wow. it's got a lot to offer. Tonelab, GT8, line 6 and GNX all have respectable tones, but this has the kitchen sink thrown in.

6. DaveDaveDave

DaveDaveDave Member

I'd say the GT-8 over the GNX, having used a lot of Digitech and Boss gear. IMHO, DIgitech isn't the same company it was when it was making the 2101 and 2120 units, which were a little more towards the pro side. Their GNX stuff seems a lot more toyish to me.

I've heard a lot of praise about the Vox Tonelab and the Pod XT Live. I can't vouch for the Pod, but IMO, the Vox modelling stuff I've heard is the only modelling gear that seems to have the same Mojo a real amp does. Most modelling gear seems to sound the way a guitar track does on CD, but they don't seem to make it sound the way an amp does in a room - except for the Vox stuff I've tried.

Dave

7. dannymusic

dannymusic Member

NONE of them are PRO units (i.e. built to do show after show; on the road; without fail etc...) If you make a living with these and don't use a backup, your playing with fire anyway. It's as PRO as any of them for us weekend warriors. I have owned a tonelab SE and liked it. They all have pros/cons. This one just does so much more then just "model amps/stomps/cabs" It's a production station. physically, it's comparable to boss/line6/vox. no better or worse.

8. DaveDaveDave

DaveDaveDave Member

Yeah, when I said "more towards the pro side", I was speaking of the Digitech 2101, which I'd seen on stage several times way back in the 90s.

Dave

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

If you don't need all the bells and whistles of the GNX4, you'd do fine with the 2 and used they're way affordable. I have a few of them that I use in the loops of my tube amps, just for eff, but if the amp crashes, I can go to a model patch, plug into a power amp to the combo's speaker and I'm up and running. When used as a modeler, I only use clean patches and get my lead tones from whatever pedal du jour I'm loving.

jon

10. StinkMonkey

StinkMonkey Member

I have (and love) a GNX3. All the current processors are pretty awesome. But to step on a button and be able to record on the fly is too great to pass up. It exports as .wav files too. I run it in stereo to the PA in addition to using one of my amps.