Goats Head Soup

Norsegod

Mick writes very well. I am particularly amused by this:

"Oh, the stories. The rock, the girls. The car wrecks, the arrests. You read them on the printed page, delivered in what, I must admit, is a pretty fair written representation of Keith's slightly tangential, drawling, effeminate delivery, resting charmingly just this side of the incomprehensible."

As I understand it, it wasn't written by Mick.
It was written by a critic who was imagining how Mick might respond.

I'm not going to read it all the way through again but I recall thinking a lot of good points were made.
Keith's book, in my opinion, demonstrated just how self absorbed a junky can be. I'll always like and respect him on a number of different levels but I think he's also somewhat of a childish major asshole.

Norsegod

What it said was that they published a document they think they mistakenly got without knowing if Mick really wrote it. Apparently the journalist is also named Bill Wyman. I'll take it with a grain of salt.

cut&paste

"Editor's note: On a recent morning, the journalist Bill Wyman received a UPS package containing a typed manuscript. On reading it, he saw that it seemed to be the thoughts, at some length, of singer Mick Jagger on therecently published autobiography of his longtime songwriting partner in the Rolling Stones, Keith Richards. A handwritten note on an old piece of Munro Sounds stationery read: "Bill: For the vault. M."

From this, Wyman surmised that the package was intended for Jagger and Richards' former bandmate, the bassist Bill Wyman, who has assiduously overseen the band's archives over the past five decades and with whom Wyman the journalist coincidentally shares the same name. Wyman the journalist, a longtime rock critic, was once threatened with a cease-and-desist letter from Wyman the bassist's Park Avenue attorneys and felt no compunction about perusing the contents of the package. The manuscript he received is reprinted below."

Just one article pointing out that it wasn't written by Mick.
This explains it pretty well.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/will-the-real-journalist-bill-wyman-please-stand-up

Blackmore's Hat

Silver Supporting Member
I've been looking at this cover for how many years now and it wasn't until this thread came up that I "got it". Man, I feel silly now.

It's supposed to be Mick's head under some shear panties and a crotch shot, right?

No, it's supposed to look like Katherine Hepburn.

sixty2strat

It's a very keys to the front album. The Fender Rhoades seems to take a very strong place instead of the Fender Telecaster, so might be why it is not as loved as exile or even some girls which seems the spend most of the time playing A to D chords, maybe not but I recall several of the songs are real close to each other. The production always reminds me of Gamble n Huff,TSOP and sigma sound but with greasy sleazy rock tunes.

Blackmore's Hat

Silver Supporting Member
Really? Then I'm right back to not getting it.

katherine-hepburn-african-queen-production-stills-united-artists-43084.jpg

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Mick writes very well. I am particularly amused by this.

Thanks. Pisses me off that journalist do this kind of thing. In the big picture, no wonder why everyone is confused at what is real and fake news.

Way more journalists do that than one (what is it with words that end in "st" that makes them hard to pluralize?) but not this time.

The first two words after the headline are "imagine if." It doesn't get much clearer than that.

A good percentage of the complaints people have with journalists boils down to functional illiteracy, and/or calling every blog on the internet "journalism."

drewl

I think it's a great record, Heartbreaker alone makes it so.
As Keith put it something like it was their All Star Sidemen period.

They stripped that all away for Some Girls.

MBJW

Silver Supporting Member
Some good songs, but I think their worst album of the 1970s (not counting Love You Live).

stratotastic

This was always a top 3 Stones album for me. Thx for the reminder. Spinning it right now. Still one of my favorites. :aok

So dark and murky. Definite mood album.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom