1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

God I love Freddie

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MikeVB, May 21, 2011.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Time for my monthly Freddie post. Sometimes you just got to rip the roof off the place.

P.S. Will an es-339 cover those tones? Had a 335 I loved, but it was just painfully huge to swing.

2. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

Wow, thanks for posting the vid. I am a FK fan and had not seen it before. I use Freddies intro to Have You Ever Loved A Woman as the ringtone on my Blackberry. Gets lots of looks and smiles when it rings in public. Freddie was so big he made that ES 335/345/355 (I don't know how to tell the diff) look small. Another great gone too soon.

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Well, aside from Freddie's amazing touch, you could try to get a 339 to sound like that by putting on heavy strings and pummel a Super Reverb or Twin Reverb cranked way up. A lot of that tone is the sheer power of his picking attack and big sounding instruments/amps.

4. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

I love Freddie too! I've been on a tone quest with ES styled guitars. Two days ago I tried out a variety of ES-335s and a ES-339. To my ears, the 339 sounded more akin to a Les Paul than to a 335. The 339 was punchy and had an aggressive attack much like a Paul. The pickups were hotter in the 339 eventhough the 335s and the 339 all had '57 classics. The 339 was a shade or two mellower than a Paul, but still closer to a Les Paul than a 335 in my estimation. Notes bloomed better on the 335s.

5. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

You are much more knowledgeable about these things than I will ever be, but I just watched a vid lesson by Andy Aledort. He was talking about Freddie's rig and said Freddie used very light strings. High E 010, B 011, G 012. I had never heard/read that before.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I heard that he used heavy strings because of the metal finger picks, but I really don't know for sure.

7. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

Must say that I agree with Andy Aledort, I have always read that Freddie used light strings as a matter of fact until SRV came on the scene a set of 10's was as heavy as most electric guitar players used outside of jazz guitar.

8. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

I love this clip... the first time I found it, it brought tears to my eyes!

9. bigeric

bigeric Supporting Member

The Godhead! Forget trying to play like Freddie. Clapton's been trying for 50 years.
    He is one a kind.

10. Antelope

Antelope Member

11. jpftribe

jpftribe Member

That was f***ing awesome. Since I've been Loving You should be renamed Have You Ever Loved a Woman Vol 2.

Thanks for posting that.

12. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

So cool to hear this. A coworker played this just a few weeks ago and first time I heard some of his stuff, love the palm muted rumble he gets going.

13. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Yep, there's never been a Freddie lick that Clapton didn't love and borrow.

14. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

Freddie has always been my favorite King.

15. mannish

mannish Member

I can not pick one - Albert, BB and Freddie I don't have a favorite - My wife on the other hand thinks Albert hung the moon

16. mannish

mannish Member

Someone I interviewed (name escapes me for now) said Freddie had fingers like bananas and broke the neck off an acoustic guitar when he went to bend the string.

17. Beat Up G

Beat Up G Member

:eeks damn.

I have lollar 50's P-90's in the SG Classic...lollar describes the tone as "early" FK. They are brutally dry and biting!

18. KBR

KBR Member

When interviewed I think Freddie meant he uses a 10, 11 or 12 SET, not a 10,11,12 first 3 strings. I mean does it sound like a 12 G string? I read that interview a long time ago.

19. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

I have a friend who saw Freddie on his first trip to London in the 60's, when he played pubs & small clubs. The story is he was being driven to a gig when when they passed a music shop. "Pull over" says Freddie, "I need some strings". "What kind do you want?" says the driver. "Get me the heaviest they got, ten sets!" says Freddie.

20. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Jimmie Vaughn when he was younger toured as "FREDDIE KING JR". Billy Gibbons "APOLOGIES TO PEARLY" if you listen is "THE STUMBLE"....Kim Wilson's singing sounds a lot like Freddie, if you don't believe it listen to the "OLD STUFF" he recorded in the late 50's and early to mid 60's....