Godin 5th Ave Kingpin - Mods?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by QuietInTheDark, May 26, 2015.

1. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Just picked up a used Godin 5th Ave Kingpin.

If you have one, have you done any mods? If so what, and was it worth it?

I am thinking I will replace the bridge. Adjusted the position which got intonation on 4 out of 6 strings perfect, but I am a bit of a stickler about that.

Might also replace the tuners. My reverends have made me fall in love with locking tuners, also the ratio seems low.

Thoughts? Pics? Cookies?

2. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I removed the pickguard, replaced the knobs with amber top-hats, replaced the P-90 cover, and replaced the bridge with a rosewood-based tune-o-matic, so I can use an unwound G and intonate it properly.

None of these are in any way irreversible, and when I run flatwounds, I usually put the old bridge back on. I absolutely LOVE this guitar, and since I bought it, all my other electrics have gone away. I use this for everything: blues, pseudo-jazz, slide, ambient, rock & roll, you name it. It's far more versatile than a non-cutaway, single-neck-pickup guitar has any right to be.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Thanks for the input. I will have to try it with some different styles. Struck me so old-schooly I've been jamming on it like that.