Godin A6 preamp???

That about says it all. A year or so ago, I sold a friend a Godin A6. Yesterday, I got an email from his wife, telling me the preamp was bad.

I asked the usual questions--Who said it was bad? Both pickups, or just one? Exactly what's wrong, etc. A "technician" had soldered a new transistor in (do they still MAKE transistors???), then said that the board was "fried," because of hair getting into the preamp, and shorting it. (Huh? Hair?)

I suspect that this "technician" probably used a 75-watt iron, and roasted some solder traces. Easy to do, even if you know what you're doing.

In any event, the guitar is roasted, and I'm guessing it needs a whole preamp. Anybody know where to start looking?

Thanks!

Da Geezer

@Steve Gambrell

I have an A6 Ultra, and the board is indeed very fragile, at least to be doing any heavy handed soldering on. Mostly very tiny surface mounted components. I have tried different pickups in mine and I'm familiar with it (I solder/repair medical equipment PCBs all the time, so not a challenge for me) but the pickup attachment points are much larger and easier to access.

I would contact Godin to see if they would be willing to supply a replacement preamp

Also possible a "competent" tech may be able to repair the damage(?)

I agree with the above post stating it's no longer your problem (and hopefully your friends wife is not saying it is)....but nice of you to attempt to help out your friend

Last edited:
@Steve Gambrell

I have an A6 Ultra, and the board is indeed very fragile, at least to be doing any heavy handed soldering on. Mostly very tiny surface mounted components. I have tried different pickups in mine and I'm familiar with it (I solder/repair medical equipment PCBs all the time, so not a challenge for me) but the pickup attachment points are much larger and easier to access.

I would contact Godin to see if they would be willing to supply a replacement preamp

Also possible a "competent" tech may be able to repair the damage(?)

I agree with the above post stating it's no longer your problem (and hopefully your friends wife is not saying it is)....but nice of you to attempt to help out your friend

I really want to see the guitar, and talk to the "technician."

The guy I sold the Godin to, is a pretty good guy. I don't think he's exactly loaded, and I can't just turn my back on him.

I'd like to see the conductance of a few hairs, since that's what the "technician" says roasted the board.

We shall see.

Da Geezer

The guy I sold the Godin to, is a pretty good guy. I don't think he's exactly loaded, and I can't just turn my back on him.

I'd like to see the conductance of a few hairs, since that's what the "technician" says roasted the board.

We shall see.
Is he local to you, so you can inspect the damage and possibly take it to someone to evaluate?

theonemanband

We shall see.

Sorry, I mis-understood your OP. I thought you were having issues with the buyer but if it is just a case of them asking for help then, as stated above........good on ya for offering to help sort it!!;)

Is he local to you, so you can inspect the damage and possibly take it to someone to evaluate?

Don't I wish! Friend lives about 70 miles away, and I've asked his wife several times for this tech's contact info--I want to talk to him.
I asked her if he works at a music store, or a welding shop--Don't laugh-welding aluminum is a LOT harder for me, than changing components on a wave-soldered PCB. :crazy ---But she hasn't told me anything about him, other than what I've told y'all. I think he must have quoted them a pretty steep price, for a new board--She's asking for a bargain. I can't blame anybody for that, but I'm afraid that if I can find the preamp cheap, she'll want me to mail it to her, and it'll wind up back in this tech's hands. And we'll be right back where we started. I'm thinking she's a bit slow. I don't remember how much they paid me, for the guitar, but I'm thinking that maybe I should buy the guitar back from them, and they can use that to buy another guitar. This is turning goofy.

I've checked all over the world-wide web, and I can't find another preamp--Not even on the Godin site.

So--Anybody got an idea where I can get this preamp? :bonk

Don't I wish! Friend lives about 70 miles away, and I've asked his wife several times for this tech's contact info--I want to talk to him.
I asked her if he works at a music store, or a welding shop--Don't laugh-welding aluminum is a LOT harder for me, than changing components on a wave-soldered PCB. :crazy ---But she hasn't told me anything about him, other than what I've told y'all. I think he must have quoted them a pretty steep price, for a new board--She's asking for a bargain. I can't blame anybody for that, but I'm afraid that if I can find the preamp cheap, she'll want me to mail it to her, and it'll wind up back in this tech's hands. And we'll be right back where we started. I'm thinking she's a bit slow. I don't remember how much they paid me, for the guitar, but I'm thinking that maybe I should buy the guitar back from them, and they can use that to buy another guitar. This is turning goofy.

I've checked all over the world-wide web, and I can't find another preamp--Not even on the Godin site.

So--Anybody got an idea where I can get this preamp? :bonk

Call Godin during regular business hours and ask to buy a replacement.

No offense, but I don't need to take it to somebody else. I'm trying to get her and hubby to bring the guitar to me.
Again, no offense, but I'm one of about 3 local guys that people bring stuff to. I've been working on guitars and amps for a long time, now. Close to 40 years, I guess. But thanks for the idea. Somebody needs to check behind this goober's work.

Da Geezer

No offense, but I don't need to take it to somebody else. I'm trying to get her and hubby to bring the guitar to me.
Again, no offense, but I'm one of about 3 local guys that people bring stuff to. I've been working on guitars and amps for a long time, now. Close to 40 years, I guess. But thanks for the idea. Somebody needs to check behind this goober's work.
Sorry Steve....misunderstood.
When you said "do they still make transistors?" I thought you were inexperienced in electronic repairs.
I guess you were just commenting "tongue-in-cheek" and it went over my head. :D

Sorry Steve....misunderstood.
When you said "do they still make transistors?" I thought you were inexperienced in electronic repairs.
I guess you were just commenting "tongue-in-cheek" and it went over my head. :D

Another situation that wouldn't have happened, face-to-face. The electronics world has changed greatly. Back in my day, we'd buy brand new RCA 6L6's for a couple of bucks apiece, at the drugstore. My first job, was sweeping up in a little TV shop, and all the guys used those yuge Weller soldering guns.
But my question was only partially tongue-in-cheek. I know there are still power transistors, and those FET's that we don't like, in our pedals.
But I wonder about a transistor inside an acoustic guitar preamp. I'm guessing it's either a chip, or an op-amp, but this woman saw a soldering iron and a component being removed--and assumed, "transistor."

My assumption is that some guy with a wood-burning set roasted some solder traces, and might be trying to cover his own butt--Taking advantage of some good people. I can't let that happen.

But my apology, for thinking that everybody was as goofy as me.
Geezers' Lives Matter! (so do our bathroom habits....)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom