Godin ACS-SA vs. Nylon SA

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by stucker, Feb 21, 2009.

1. stucker

stucker Member

I've been considering a nylon electric and played one of the early Godin models years ago. I suspect it was similar to the Nylon SA which has a spruce top and chambered mahogany body. The ACS-SA has a cedar top and chambered maple body.

Does anyone have experience with these two Godin's who can explain the differences in tone/playability? Is one model more "acoustic sounding" or sound better "unplugged" than the other? Thanks.

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I have owned several of the ACS guitars. They are neck heavy and klunky feeling. Nicely priced though. Sorry but I don't know the details of the ACS SA vs. the ACS. I imagine the cedar top version would sound much nicer. I believe the ACS had poplar wings.

3. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

a vote for the much superior (IMO) Turner RN6 ,,,serious upgrade on stage
    with dynamic headroom and general tone

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

also 3x as expensive. Have you played the cedar ACS? I have not. I'd like to try that before concluding that the turner is still so much better. The ACS also has the synth output. Customer service on the turner can be difficult.

5. stucker

stucker Member

Actually I've found some more info on these. Both the ACS-SA and the Multiac Nylon SA have the synth output and a sensor for each string.

Other than the materials I've described earlier, the main difference is that the Multiac Nylon SA has a more volume acoustically due to more or larger chambers and it's also a good bit more expensive. Naturally it would be more prone to feedback at higher stage volumes than the ACS which is more like a solid body.

6. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I`m not sure of the model names . I have played a Godin Nylon w/synth pickup..the Multiac , right ?
    Looked like a Spruce top ...might have been cedar?
    It was the most expensive model ... got it in 96 and used it ..toured with it for maybe 8 years before I got the Turner.
    I got a used RN6 for around 1100 ,, The Godin you speak of is 1/3 of that?
    I figured the Turner used would be maybe 300 more than a used Godin. Dunno ...
    I`ve had great experiences directly emailing Rick for advice and he gave me the impression he`s there if I needed anything .
    I guess you`ve had bad experiences ,,,, Anyway ... i stand by my post in a shootout of the 2 instruments I`ve owned , YMMV !

edit ... after reading the new post by stucker above ...I think I understand the price difference comment ..I once owned a seagull solidbody steel string (made by godin) ..well . It was cheap ....that`s about all I can say . If the solid body nylon by Godin is any comparison ..you`ll get alot more tonal colors and semblence to an acoustic with the chambered Multiac ..they`re nice guitars and I`d say worth the difference if you can swing it over a solid body ... no matter what the wood choice is . I rarely had feeback problems with the Multiac ...unless you`re pounding it in front of a hot monitor . The Turner has never fed back on me .....and NO ... I`ve never played a ACS-SA so take my thoughts here as you wish . good luck , Paul