Godin, G&L and Yamaha

59Jazzmaster

This is not a matter of budget, even though they are very reasonable priced. They are my favorite non-vintage guitars, ever, regardless of price.

I been away from my studio and guitars (all vintage) for over a year. I am ready to start playing again, and gonna take this opportunity to GAS for a new guitar (or two, or four). I am mostly a Stratty type player, and no budget restrictions except I don't wanna pay vintage money.

So searching pretty much everything from 70s Strats to 80s knockoffs to current production line offerings to expensive boutiques, I realize just how good Godin guitars are. Of all the guitars ever made, a few of theirs pretty much sound the best to me out of all of them. And they are very well made for the price (or any price). Same goes for G&L. And surprisingly, Yamaha has one or two guitars which rule all for me.

Much love and respect to these companies. I GAS for these more than any custom shop or boutique guitar.

I would love to see some pics and hear your love for these guitars.

BlackSG91

I sure love my Godin Belmont equipped with genuine Seymour Duncan pickups. It is a heavy guitar made of all Mahogany. It is a great playing guitar with a neck that has a special ergo cut design. I have an SD '59 in the bridge and it covers all the sounds. :)

wBWYvgC.jpeg

4p3Psrk.jpeg

63noxjb.jpeg

Maguchi

This is not a matter of budget, even though they are very reasonable priced. They are my favorite non-vintage guitars, ever, regardless of price.

I been away from my studio and guitars (all vintage) for over a year. I am ready to start playing again, and gonna take this opportunity to GAS for a new guitar (or two, or four). I am mostly a Stratty type player, and no budget restrictions except I don't wanna pay vintage money.

So searching pretty much everything from 70s Strats to 80s knockoffs to current production line offerings to expensive boutiques, I realize just how good Godin guitars are. Of all the guitars ever made, a few of theirs pretty much sound the best to me out of all of them. And they are very well made for the price (or any price). Same goes for G&L. And surprisingly, Yamaha has one or two guitars which rule all for me.

Much love and respect to these companies. I GAS for these more than any custom shop or boutique guitar.

I would love to see some pics and hear your love for these guitars.
Yes, all 3 make outstanding guitars. Played a couple of Godins and really liked them but never bought one yet. Had a couple of set neck 2 humbucker '80s Yamahas that were excellent. Still kicking myself for selling them. Have a couple of G&Ls now and I love 'em.

G&L-ASAT1.jpg
G&L-ASAT2.jpg

CSB123

My number 1 is a G&L custom bluesboy, although i own many fine instruments, my most played acoustic is my Yamaha fgx830 beater which sits alongside my Martins, my Yamaha FGX5 Red label arrives in 2 weeks.

We dont have Godin or Eastman here sadly, G&L no one knows about, but my main shop stocks them and orders for me.

D7E3EF8F-6B30-4F25-994C-D158142E9E28.jpeg

Steve Y.

Supporting Member
I’m intrigued by the Passion RG-3.
Ive had a Seagull S6 for 14 years and still love it. I also have a Multiac nylon string which is fantastic. I think those guys are onto something.

ozraves

Silver Supporting Member
For Stratty sounds from those brands... G&L Legacy is a nice choice. I'd go with the USA model. If you want used, then the G&L George Fullerton Signature Model is the one to look for. I think this is the best guitar G&L has made. These have the best "S" style tremolo system.

I'd also put a word in for the PRS Silver Sky. Great pickups. Truly some of the best pickups made today by anyone. More expensive than the G&L. Better quality guitar so you are getting what you pay for. These come with decked trems. I'd recommend going with the G&L if you want a floating tremolo.

59Jazzmaster

For Stratty sounds from those brands... G&L Legacy is a nice choice. I'd go with the USA model. If you want used, then the G&L George Fullerton Signature Model is the one to look for. I think this is the best guitar G&L has made. These have the best "S" style tremolo system.

I'd also put a word in for the PRS Silver Sky. Great pickups. Truly some of the best pickups made today by anyone. More expensive than the G&L. Better quality guitar so you are getting what you pay for. These come with decked trems. I'd recommend going with the G&L if you want a floating tremolo.

EBMM Silhouette would also be on my "A list", along with those three.

Yes, the Silver Sky and EBMM Silhouette are amazing guitars. PRS & EBMM are amazing in general, thanks for mentioning them.

I never owned either, but I own a PRS private stock and two custom EBMMs. They are the best build quality a guitar can get, period. I've had other expensive boutique guitars, and they were well built, sounded and looked great, but nowhere near this level of skill, innovation and just mastery of guitar making. They are a lot more than a pretty face, there is some serious voodoo going on, not least the meticulous selection of wood. Forgetting the feel and build quality, the sound is otherworldly, these guitars can do things no other guitar can do. You want infinite sustain with no special electronics? Yes, infinite. And the level of control. Even clean, I can get the PRS to feedback if I want it. These guys are geniuses, many guitars may be a random collection of parts but not these.

But I don't care about any of that. I don't use it in my music. These guitars are just not for me. A G&L is made for me. For my tastes and style, these less expensive brands sound sweeter. The build quality is extraneous to me, a G&L is rock solid, stays in tune, great bridge, reliable, well designed, easy to maintain, no problems.

This is personal taste and I hold PRS and EBMM in the highest regard.

All three brands have great value lines, Tribute, Sterling and SE. Tremendous quality for the money. Of all, I think the SE delivers more on sound quality. I can hear the difference between a Tribute and a USA G&L, between a SE Silver Sky and real one? Dunno if I'd bet on it.

jedisb

I still own a late 90s G-4000 and a SD22. I used to own a beautiful LGX but I couldn't deal with the neck. Not a fan of the 16" radius. I really like the older designs, but everything Godin has made in the last 10 years or so has been uninspiring to me. Now they're just the same LP, Strat, and Tele variations as everyone else. And that "half pickguard" they put on many of their guitars is horrid. I would still like to own a Passion RG-3 or even a pre-pickguard Progression in that butterscotch color. I'm still on the lookout for a good condition Exit 22 as well.
My only other complaint about them is that they use some soft fret wire. Both of mine Godin's needed new frets long before any of my other guitars.

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Godin Kingpin II hollowbody with humbuckers, and I've been thinking about the solid-body Godin Radium for a while. The green matte version is just never available when I'm ready to buy...

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Don't have much Yamaha experience. I have owned several American made G&Ls, currently a '90s ASAT special. The first G&L I got was bought new in '94. An ASAT Classic. I'd tried many fender teles. That ASAT classic felt like twice the guitar for half the money. A bargain. No idea how asia made tributes stack up, the the American ones are routinely excellent.

Same goes for Godin, as least the solidbodies I've tried. First one, an LGXT. Some unique features, thoughtful ergonmonics, and a high quality instrument on the relative cheaps. (They've gotten pricier ...) Now on an LG, which gets my vote for one of the best, low budget alternatives to pricier 2xP90 solidbodies such as the LP Special. A lot of guitar for short money.

OnkelC

yo is that a blueray copy of Baywatch the movie? lol, seems out of place amongst the rest of your mostly good selections of flicks
it‘s possible that that movie is amongst the ~3K DVD, BluRay and UHD movies that are shelved right now, yes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom