• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

GODIN Guitars... tell me about them..

war-knuckles

so i see these used alot and aside from knowing they make alot of budget guitars and have some higher priced models, i dont really know anything.

which models are worth checking out?

what experiences have you had with them?

also, share some pics if you got them!

Sheherezadeh

I have an LGXT and a Freeway Classic. The LGXT is a real chameleon, not only great as a normal guitar with Seymour-Duncans, but the piezo bridge pickup and synth pickup give so many other places to go with your playing. The Freeway makes for a better Strat than most Fenders, although you get humbuckers in the neck and bridge rather than singles. Positions 2 and 4 quack quite nicely though.

padavis

They're a bargain. Monster guitars. I like to think of them as the Canadian G&L mixed with Heritage. Yea they offer lower end models but they're finely made and finished like a Tribute G&L and then they have some crazy upper end stuff that fall in the Fender camp and Gibson camp. What you can get with them when you buy used is absolutely incredible. I've had a couple LGs. I had one with hums and one or two with P90s. Had some version of the LGX with the midi pickup and piezo pickup and that was a fine guitar. Also, their Simon & Patrick Showcase acoustics are monsters. The way I understand it, its all the same company. One of my first posts here, a dude bashed me for saying it was on par with a recent D28... Well I don't back down from that still... I've played a few Showcase Rosewoods and they are excellent besides the one I owned. Now, I've played some excellent D28s that nothing could beat but daggone it the Showcase Rosewoods have been consistently good and for the price, man... Anyways, Godin's newer Summits and Cores are killer too. You can get a pretty decent Les Paul killer out of them if you go that route...

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
They are highly underrated guitars that, like some other high profile brands like G&L, play great, look great, and sound great. That being said, just like G&L, they don't hold their value in the used market. I had a Godin Radiator that I loved at the time (actually, I'd love to find one again).

They are made in Canada and Berlin, NH and if you don't care about the name on the headstock, you should totally try some Godins!

zztomato

Godin makes consistent, quality guitars with utility being the driving philosophy behind most of their guitars. I setup and work on boat loads of them and, for the price you pay, you are getting much more than what most companies give you at the same price point.
I setup 3 Seagull (Godin) acoustics yesterday and a Godin Core p-90 and they were all well built and worked out great in setup. The Core P-90 is a fine guitar if you are looking for the p-90 sound. I compared it to my Gibson 54ri and, while the Gibson had it edged out in sound and overall quality, nobody would complain about the Godin in a side by side play-off. The Gibson is five times the price and for that you maybe get 25% more.

The way to approach Godin is to decide what you are looking for in a guitar and then browse their catalogue and find the one that fits your needs. There are no standouts- or dogs. Chances are you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Boomstick

Godin makes very good guitars especially for the prices. They are a great value new, and even better as they don't hold their value used since they're largely an unknown manufacturer. I found a Godin RG3 a couple years ago for $300 at a local store used. I would have bought it in a second if it literally wouldn't have taken me a year to pay off the credit card at the time, it was a hard time financially for me but it wasn't even beat up or anything. The RG2, LGXT and LGXSA are also very nice guitars. They also make some good acoustic electrics as well like the A6 ultra.

I almost bought a used Godin LGXT with the AAA top earlier last year. I ended up saving some more and getting the Les Paul Custom I always wanted, but the LGXT would make a great third guitar. I have seen some for as low as $675 even with a hardshell case. You're not going to beat that.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Best value dollar for dollar. Great guitars without question. This LG P90 is a stable in my stable.

Only mod is swapping out the original SD P90's (they were noisy) for Fralin hum canceling.

View media item 49065

Hackdog69

Gold Supporting Member
My "goto" studio guitar is a xtsa.. quickly get great electric and acoustic sounds.. LOVE the neck

I wrote this tune for a project my friends and I work on every year. All the acoustic guitars were a Godin xtsa acoustic out through the Helix with the free Taylor IR's

Sounds good enough for me and no mic setup, room worries etc..

Happy new year!

thecornman

I don't think there is anything out there better for the price then Godin's! Even their lower end models are great guitars. I have owned a few of them over the years and was happy with everyone of them. The only one I own now is a Freeway Classic which is a very versatile strat copy. I would still own more if it wasn't for the 4 parts casters that I put together that get most of my playing time.

Multicellular

I have a 5th ave. Excellent guitar. Was not really in the market but saw one used, not in the best shaped but plugged it in and had to get it. Plays great, good stock pickup. Nails the early electric guitar sound.

I upgraded a few things, but the stock would be fine if i were not super picky...locking tuners, more fine tuned intonation bridge. Pickguard was just broken when i got it, i cut that one myself.

Here is a quick little song on it - straight into a yamaha thr10, line out. Pearl Bailey, instrumental cover.

Don't judge my performance too harsh. Style I don't usually do and done live at a wedding where the groom gave me sheet music and short time to learn it.

http://www.multicellularmusic.com/1/legalizemyname.mp3

Last edited:
I've had my eye on the Fifth Avenue Jazz for years...god that's a beautiful guitar. Played the Montreal Premiere, and then I wanted that one, too. They're just marvelous instruments. I've played some of their mid-level instruments and those were total crushers.

Da Geezer

My favorite acoustic is a Godin-made Seagull rustic cutaway… Gets way more play time that my Martin D16H.
Gets gigged almost every week, and I always receive good comments on the tone! I did replace the electronics with an LR Baggs I-beam unit, but even counting that I only have about $350 into the Guitar ( guitar was bought used from pawnshop, pick up purchased used from eBay )

I also have a Godin A6 Ultra.... simply fantastic quality, playability, and value

Mandrax

Very well made guitars and when you get one in your hands you wonder how on earth they make a profit at the prices they charge. I had one a number of years ago and regret selling it. I've played quite a few since and you'll struggle to find a bad one.

PatriotBadger

I gigged with a Godin LGX-SA for years. Did the whole 3 cables from the instrument, modeler/acoustic processor/synth in an FRFR powered speaker. A rock-solid instrument that was a great electric guitar in it's own right, but add the piezo and 13-pin output and you can do anything within reason. As has been mentioned, highly underrated guitars that seem rarely discussed stateside. They won't fan the fires of lust in the hearts of most guitarists, but they are guitarist's guitars with excellent quality and and value. The only reason I sold mine - and I shouldn't have - is because I moved away from shouldering so much of the sound generation in our band so I could focus on just playing guitar.

sshan25

Supporting Member
I have owned several of them and all of them were very well made. The only one I currently have is a Dorchester from their “Richmond” line. It is a fantastic guitar and has been my 2 humbucker equipped guitar of choice lately. The neck is as comfortable to play as any guitar I own and it looks funky and sounds great, too. Real sleepers, IMO.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
I looked up an old post of mine on this very subject, and here's what I wrote:

Summit CT and longtime LGX user here. I've probably had 3 or 4 LGX's in my life, sold old ones because I wasn't using them at the time, but now I have one, and I'm keeping it. Wonderful guitars, although a couple of the LGX's I've had were a little funny in the neck, and my Summit has to be set up just right, it has a tiny little twist to it.

Having said that, I enjoy playing my Summit as much as my PRSi, or any other guitar. It's a great all-around guitar, it's 24.75 scale, so it can get that LP beef to it, and with the Duncan pups and 5-way switching, it's VERY versatile.

war-knuckles

what are the necks on the solid bodies usually like? i prefer the fatties but i dont think i ever had the chance to play one of these in the wild

JPIndustrie

I guess I'll be in the minority here ...

I've owned an LGXT (one of my bucket list guitars) but I will say I was pretty disappointed. It's one of those guitars that sound really good on paper but in the end the translation to delivery isn't there, or at least it has a feel that didn't jive with me.

They are very well featured guitars and value wise they are top though (their Roland GK MIDI tracking implementation is the best in the business, they have that extra 5% feel vs the aftermarket add on GK pickups)... Please don't confuse my comments of 'preference' with 'quality', they are some of best built instruments in NA, just not for me...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom