Godin playability

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mbratch, Jul 23, 2005.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I've been considering Godin guitars, and I've seen several posts here from people who think highly of them. I've also seen a couple of posts where someone said they had trouble with the lower profile of the strings with respect to the body of the guitar (recessed pickups and bridge/saddles).

I'd like to hear more of peoples' experiences with the unique construction of these guitars in regards to playability. For instance, is it hard to get used to? Etc.

2. Joe

Joe Senior Member

I wanted to like the classical w/ midi but both times I tried it out I left w/o purchasing.

3. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

My $200 Radiator is one of the best playing guitars I own. The recessed hardware on my LG doesn't bother me at all, either. I suppose it could be an issue if you like to get deep under the strings.

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I was in Canada recently and on an afternoon off I went to a store and played the Montreal for quite a while. I thought it played really, really well, very comfortable and sounded great.

I own a Glissentar, which is probably an acquired taste, but I dig it...I don't use it to imitate an oud, though.

5. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I have one, too. Not to hijack the thread, but have you found it to really come alive when detuned? Mine seems to like D or C better than standard tuning.

6. 563

563 Guest

For me the issue isnt the strings in relation to the body, its the neck. Their necks are wider and flatter than I typically like, makes for a playability issue with me. I LOVE the Flat Five, but the neck just feels 8 kinds of wrong to me.

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I hate the necks too. I wanted an A6 'solid acoustic', but I couldn't stand the neck... like a board ruler with strings on, almost as uncomfortable as one of those Ibanez Wizard necks. Just about as far away from a PRS WF (my favorite neck) as I can imagine.

I don't mind the recessed hardware, it's actually only because it's 'Gibson style' that it looks odd - the actual string height above the body is quite similar to a Fender. Gibson-type hardware is much taller, so to get a totally flat neck angle (like a Fender) you have to recess the hardware.

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yeah, I've messed with that a little. The lower register is really where the instrument shines anyway. I don't spend as much time on this one as I do the conventional guitars. I'm about to start sessions for a record where I'm determined to really exploit the Glissentar, though.

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

It's funny, I'm the exact opposite. I have no problem with the Godin necks. I owned a PRS for about 6 months, and while I think it was a great sounding guitar, I never got used to the neck. In fact, after one set on it at a gig my hand would be cramping up really badly, and that virtually never happens (I've been playing for a long time....). That's the only reason I sold it.

10. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I have only played a couple.I had a P90(?) model.The neck was really flat and the frets were small.It never felt like I could grab the strings.I hated it.It was well made.

11. Bandmonster

Bandmonster Member

Godin guitars are very good quality instruments. For the money, they are one the best bargains out there. If you like how they play.

Playability will always be a subjective issue. Regardless of price or maker. Personally, I tend to prefer fatter necks with a Gibson radius. That's just me. The only way for you to tell about a guitar is to pick it up and play.

12. mbratch

mbratch Member

Yes, I understand that. A few responders compared action with other more familiar guitars (like Fender) which I found helpful.

How flat is "flat" when it comes to the Godin neck? I've played a few different guitars and have never had an issue with different neck thicknesses, widths, or fretboard radii. But if it's the flattest thing around (like a "ruler with strings" as John P put it) then it might be a bit too flat for me.

13. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I believe the radius was 16 on mine.Combined with the little frets it just didn't do it for me.I thought it was odd that a P90 equipped guitar had a flat neck like that.

14. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I have an LGXT, and hate the neck. But for synth stuff, the system is so good I use the guitar for that. I just can't play it as a "guitar". It's like a classical guitar to me. Flat & Wide.

However - Jon Silberman had the neck replaced on his with the more radiused and better profile "new" Godin neck, and I've played his, and it's fine.

15. 563

563 Guest

Thats how I felt about it, but thinner from front to back than a classical. I've only felt similar necks on Ibanez shredder models.

If Godin has gone fatter, I'll have to try another, it has been a while.

16. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

They seem like a lot of guitar for the money. Some of the asthetics seem kind of funky to me, tho. I just haven't tried one that said 'buy me'.

17. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I reluctantly used my Godin because the tracking is so good for the synth, but after a while we made an agreement and now I find it to be a really good guitar and a great value as well. Godin was also really helpful in tech support although the guitar is 6 years old and I'm not the original owner. RMC pickups was fantastic in helping me retrofit their midi pups to the guitar after the Baggs system failed.

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

They play wonderfully ...

19. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Newer Godins have a different neck profile than the old 16" radius ones. Might be more to your liking. Killer bang-for-buck guitars!-Eric

20. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

My current LG Signature is a 12" radius. Very well made, and top notch hardware for the $$$. I wanted cream coloured pickup rings, and emailed the company, and Mr. Godin himself responded, and sent me a pair for free. Can't beat that witha stick. Try getting that kind of service from your Korean or Chinese builder.:rolleyes:

CT.