• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Godin playability

Rock Johnson

I had a 2003 Godin Freeway Classic. Not one of their higher end models, no synth tracking, or whatever, but for around $400 used it was a killer guitar. Excellent action, phenomenal workmanship and attention to detail.

HarryJ

I have had 4 Godins, currently use 3 (4th was the Artisan ST)
Each VERY different in many ways. Feel, neck, sound etc...
One common theme, these are high quality instruments, Albeit, these are from years past when they used Schaller pickups... all of which were yanked out quicker than a New York horn at a green light!

Audio clips, pics and way cool wiring diagrams on my site

Harry Jacobson
www.harryj.net

Flat 5 Western maple center, poplar sides, solid carved maple top

Recording Flat 5 into modded '66 Bassman
http://www.harryj.net/chuckblues.mp3

Artisan TC Limewood (European name for basswood) with thick carved maple top

SD XT Western maple center with poplar sides, maple top

HarryJ

For me the issue isnt the strings in relation to the body, its the neck. Their necks are wider and flatter than I typically like, makes for a playability issue with me. I LOVE the Flat Five, but the neck just feels 8 kinds of wrong to me.
I agree,
I reshaped my neck to a soft V. Huge improvement IMHO.
I also stripped off the super thick poly finish, and refinned with thinner coats of lacquer.
It is much more alive now. Personally, I do not believe it is a poly vs lacquer issue but rather a thinner coat vs GLOBS of thick plastic

HJ

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of different necks, so it's hard to generalize. I didn't like the LG90 neck, too wide, thin and flat. The neck on my LG signature is very different. A little thicker back to front than I'm used too (playing mostly thinner necked guitars now), but excellent radius, out-of-the-box perfect frets and set up. Rolled edges. It plays like a guitar several times the price. Aside from the neck, the guitar body is set up to put nothing in the way of your playing hand. Very well designed and practical guitar.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I have three Godins, a Flat Five X, a Multiac Jazz, and a Multiac ACS SA. All very different. I love the ergocut, I like the very different necks on all three. Have had them for 2.5 - 4 years, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

My Flat Five X is my main electric. I think it feels wonderful. It's built and finished well, very resposive, very playable, very nice sound. The Multiac Jazz tracks like a dream with my GR33. They are the masters of two- and three-voice guitars, the main reason to buy them imho.

I did NOT like the early Godins (from the early 90s) one single bit. But the ones he's made the past 5 or so years are simply the best value in an American-made guitar out there. The LGXs and stuff are just stunning, too.

p.snail

The older LGX and LGXT guitars had really thin "Ibanez" like necks. They changed the neck shape a few years ago when they trimmed down their line of guitars. I had an LGXSA about 3 years ago, and I thought the neck was fabulous. 12" radius, plenty of meat to grab on to and the Duncan Custom custom humbuckers gave it more of an LP tone with a strat feel. I usually have a hard time playing LP's, but the Godin worked. I've owned several PRS's and I do agree that they are wonderful guitars, but I wouldn't say I liked the feel of those guitars better than the LGXSA. I really think they're of similar build quality as well. That's not a bash on PRS it's a testament to how good the Godin stuff is. Try a few. If you like beefy necks I don't think the newer ones will disappoint. I kind of miss my Godin. I may have to get another one (when money allows). I'm ultimately a strat player, so the godin was sacrificed to the Fender Gods. Best of luck on your search.

strings2wood

I own an LGX-SA.

Nicest piece of furniture I own.

Smoothest, fastest, lightest neck I play.

I also have a custom shop 56 strat and a custom shop 57 tele.

I only use 2 of the 3 voices. (the acoustic through a P.A. and the electric through my amp).

While people rave about the synth tracking and technology..i.
t's just not for me..but I believe the synth tracking is pretty amazing from other users and seeing a demo once.

Pluses-
Quality- components and build- truly beautiful
Price-exceptional value.
Playability- brilliant.
Versatility- a great guitar that saves you switching guitars when playing live.
A BRILLIANT recording tool, especially if you're using the synth access.
Blending the acoustic and electric- and playing both in one song-both seperately and together.

Minuses-
owing to the LR Baggs under the bridge- thestrings can only be guage 10 through...
this lightness so close to the neck for me, makes it break up too much (truly).
It's close to a tele in position 2. (but not quite, does the twang thing well though).
It's close to a Les Paul or a good Jazz giutar on the neck (but not quite).
The acoustic is passable, but was never meant to be or can be a Martin, Collings, Taylor etc.

I also find it really hard to stay in tune, if your playing pop and rock and playing it like a "rock" guitar.

re-stringing is a total pain!!!!!! It can take ages to simply thread a string through....
It took ages to get use to and I know some guy has made a wider hole guiding replacement
.....but I thought I was going nuts first time I tried.

It was my first guitar- but when I bought the strat and the tele- I used it less and less palying live.

But incredible value, feel and versatility.

However, I am selling my lefty in Australia. It's going on ebay next week.

Some regrets..but as I'm not using it, it's going.

Simon in Australia.

joejoe

You're the first person I've seen wonder about the recessed hardware...it's actually one of the things that I really like about my LG. Can't really describe why, it's a "feel" thing. True, the neck is thicker than many, and I have small hands...but from the first time I picked it up it felt just right. I love mine.
The only bad thing about the recessed hardware is how much I now notice the difference when I pick up a Gibson-style guitar...I miss that feeling of the guitar being right "there." I sure wouldn't let it scare you away.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
You're the first person I've seen wonder about the recessed hardware...it's actually one of the things that I really like about my LG. Can't really describe why, it's a "feel" thing. True, the neck is thicker than many, and I have small hands...but from the first time I picked it up it felt just right. I love mine.
The only bad thing about the recessed hardware is how much I now notice the difference when I pick up a Gibson-style guitar...I miss that feeling of the guitar being right "there." I sure wouldn't let it scare you away.

They don't all have recessed hardware. The necks are not all the same. You have to check the models and decide. They are not all ugly, either.
That being said, you can find an ugly one with a bad feeling neck and recessed hardware. Three strikes in my book. Too bad.

Chuck King

I had a Radiator. Similar experience to everybody else: very well made, flat neck, etc. etc. Mine had fairly meaty frets, though.

The notable thing about that guitar was its ability to nail the Rickenbacker-esque jangly sound. It was the only non-Rick guitar I've ever heard really do it. If you love how Ricks sound but hate how Ricks feel, a Radiator may be just what the doctor ordered.

I only got rid of it because I got a Rick 360 (I have no problem with how Ricks feel) which required liquidation of a few other instruments. But I sold it to a friend who's learning to play, and he's liking it.

CAC

I am a huge fan of Godins. I love the necks! Very different than most electrics. Almost like an coustic guitar in many respects. For several years all I wanted to play was Godins after I got used to them. Now I'm on a bit of an SG kick, but the one guitar I bought a few years back and most likely will keep forever is my Godin Solidac. As I have stated many times on this forum if Godin had "Gibson" on the headstock it would probably be worth hundreds more. Great company on par with any major manufacturer out there!

PierreL

Silver Supporting Member
I have a LGX-SA. It's a really great guitar, very well made and extremely versatile.
The neck is indeed rather thin and wide, but that does not bother me.
However , since I got my Hamer Artist Custom, I play the Godin less, but it's still a wonderful instrument. And acoustically it rings like a piano when correctly set up.

Wolf Static

I own a Godin Multiac Nylon SA, and it feels like a classical guitar, but it plays more like an electric. I guess that's what they were going for and they succeeded. The synth tracking is awesome as well. You can hear mine in action at...

www.soundclick.com/wolfstatic Check out my Acoustic cover tune of "The Godfather". It's called "Cosa Nostra".

Arc Angel

Caught John McLaughlin last week, and he played a Freeway SA throughout the show. Godin's are amazing value IMO.

Major Twang

Caught John McLaughlin last week, and he played a Freeway SA throughout the show. Godin's are amazing value IMO.
My recording studio in smack the middle of Godin country... beautiful Apalachian mountains, giant maple trees and lakes. Quality wood here due to extreme winter cold. Godin sells AAAAA wood to Gibson, Fender and Martin for a reason. Anyways, i have a Godin Richmond neck on my strat and i love it. Workmanship is top notch. Wish i knew how to post a pic...;*)

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, a 12-year-old thread resurrected. That's not something you see every day.

Godins are still excellent guitars.

Axe Arsenal

My recording studio in smack the middle of Godin country... beautiful Apalachian mountains, giant maple trees and lakes. Quality wood here due to extreme winter cold. Godin sells AAAAA wood to Gibson, Fender and Martin for a reason. Anyways, i have a Godin Richmond neck on my strat and i love it. Workmanship is top notch. Wish i knew how to post a pic...;*)
Wow man, you never posted a pic in 15 years?

DRS

I have a Godin Montreal Premiere.
Set-up and playibilty are great.
Now I did swap out the pickups to Gibson 57/57+

Trending Topics

Top Bottom