Godin

9fingers

Supporting Member
I know Godin is not a "name" guitar maker as no big guitar heroes played them. I recently became aware of a Godin Session Custom '59 as it has all the "super-tele" features I have been wanting. They don't make this exact model any more but do have similar guitars out. I found an NOS online for a good price and bought it.
It is a very fine guitar! Fit, finish & fret & nut work are all very well done. It sounds great, with a Duncan 59 in the neck and a Godin "Cajun" nice full tele type bridge pickup. It has a 5 way switch for a versatile selection of coil combinations, and a "revoicer" button that makes everything bigger and sharper (10 usable sounds in all).
It has a perfect feeling satin finished neck and nice big forearm and "tummy" bevels on the top edge, but not on the bottom edge, so it stays in place while playing seated. Also a nice substantial whammy, with a big brass block. Parts are made in Canada and assembled in the US.
No corners were cut and the QC and feature set are remarkable.

I'm gonna play this thing a LOT!

jwguitar

I know Godin is not a "name" guitar maker as no big guitar heroes played them. I recently became aware of a Godin Session Custom '59 as it has all the "super-tele" features I have been wanting. They don't make this exact model any more but do have similar guitars out. I found an NOS online for a good price and bought it.
It is a very fine guitar! Fit, finish & fret & nut work are all very well done. It sounds great, with a Duncan 59 in the neck and a Godin "Cajun" nice full tele type bridge pickup. It has a 5 way switch for a versatile selection of coil combinations, and a "revoicer" button that makes everything bigger and sharper (10 usable sounds in all).
It has a perfect feeling satin finished neck and nice big forearm and "tummy" bevels on the top edge, but not on the bottom edge, so it stays in place while playing seated. Also a nice substantial whammy, with a big brass block. Parts are made in Canada and assembled in the US.

Whether or not they are a "name" brand really does not mean a lot any more. The Godins I have played have been nothing but awesome. The fretword is always top notch and the fit and finish is also great. I really would like to get my hands on one of their les paul style guitars. You hardly see them around but they look amazing.

Jisatsu

Every Godin I've played has been fantastic. I really wish their electrics weren't ugly. I love my 5th Ave though.

Dumdeediddle

Man I bet that is a great guitar. I have had a Godin and it was very nice. They make great Guitars and who gives a **** if they are not "name" guitars. I 1st saw one in Paris. Wanted one after that.

Tony Done

Godin is part of the LaSiDo group that includes Seagull, A&L, La Patrie and Norman, maybe others. From what I have seen, they are all good, but not many Godins in my part of the world. Their Multiac and World series interest me.

nonsense

You might be surprised to learn how much Godin actually sell. The last time I saw revenue numbers for them, they were at $50m, which put them right around Ibanez* in that year (and way ahead of, for instance, PRS).

My understanding is that they have a pretty high global profile in world beat and jazz, and that they sell more than you might think outside North America.

* I should clarify, this was specifically Hoshino USA. I don't know how much of Ibanez's sales come from North America vs the world, but if we're fully comparing like with like, Ibanez is going to come out further ahead.

Last edited:

Colamander

You might be surprised to learn how much Godin actually sell. The last time I saw revenue numbers for them, they were at $50m, which put them right around Ibanez in that year (and way ahead of, for instance, PRS).

My understanding is that they have a pretty high global profile in world beat and jazz, and that they sell more than you might think outside North America.
That’s great to hear. All the Godins I’ve played have been great.

fretless

Supporting Member
I missed the episode of "How It's made" where they show the Godin factory.
It's really cool. It's still on YouTube so you can watch it anytime. There's also a Premier Guitar segment on YouTube where the take a tour with Robert Godin thats good.

Mudder

The only Godin I haven't liked is the radiator. The one I had was a noisy mess. Loved my lg-90 though, and would like a Montreal.