Godlyke PA-9 or Visual Sound 1 SPOT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shooto, Jul 1, 2006.

1. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

Which are preferred?...I hear that the 1 SPOT is noisy...don't want that...is Godlyke noisy as well? thanks!

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've never had a complaint about my Godlyke... HOWEVER... when I made the choice it was pretty much a coin-toss. They're identical as far as I can tell. The PLUS is that the One-Spot has right-angle power plugs...

So I have a Godlyke PA, but later 'upgraded' to the One-Spot daisy chain cables.:messedup

-Ben

3. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I too have a Godlyke, but have the OneSpot Daisy chain. Not only for the right angle plugs but also for the distance between them (12in. on OneSpot, 6in. on Godlyke)

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

When I bought my Godlyke, I read a bunch of reviews and a few people complained about noise with the One Spot. Can't say personally, but check the HC reviews. All the reviewers said the Godlyke was silent and that has been my experience also.

5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I have a godlyke with onespot daisy chain. I have never had issues with noise AT ALL. In fact my buddy has a pedalpower 2 and he always has noise issues (but its for more reasons than the power supply). Only complaint is the clean look. Since I am always changing pedals and usually downsize for certain gigs, I am always making a mess. Hope that helps.

6. erksin

erksin Member

OneSpot user here (running 6 pedals off of it) - no noise issues at all. Get the combo pack from Musicians Friend - $29.99...

7. enickma

enickma Member

Well, my 1Spot sucks in the noise department. To be fair, it's one of the older models, but I only used it to power 4 pedals. I have a Godlyke on the way

8. erksin

erksin Member

The older models were only good for 800mV I think - the new OneSpots are 1700mV, just like the Godlykes...

9. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

My response to this question is identical to yours.

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

Noise is only a problem when using Line 6 pedals, and is a problem with both adapters, but is not a problem for standard analog pedals for either.

11. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

thanks for the responses- so the newer 1 SPOT has taken care of the noise issue?...what about digital pedals...like digidelay or other things like a BBE sonic maximizer?

12. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I have been using an older onespot (1000ma) and do not have noise issues. I am running about 5 pedals including a DD3 and a Maxon CS505.

13. boog204

boog204 Member

have been using two 1-spots for years.... no issues with noise. my only complaint was that the tangles of wires created such a mess and i'm a slob as it is. i eventually switched over to a pp1 and i have no complaints.

14. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I've got the Godlyke...runs everything just fine...no noise issues at all.

15. carltonh

carltonh Member

Can the daisy chains of the One Spot and Powerall be used on the opposite brand? Can all such adapters be used interchangeably on them, including the new Power pump?

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The daisy chains can be used on either brands. The adaptors the godlyke comes with (battery plug, 1.8" phone jack, etc) can be used on the 1spot or even boss PSA adaptors or similar.

As mentioned, the two are identical as far as I've heard. I used to get noise when running 11 pedals off it, but I trimmed it down to 9 and get a very low-noise operation (with some pedals always on, like my compressor). I even use it with a DD-20, which is supposed to produce noise with the digital feature of the godlyke, and still get good operation outta it!

17. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I use my Godlyke with a Verbzilla and I get absolutely no added noise. And regarding my comment about the noise with the One Spots, I do recall people saying it was the earlier versions.

18. 1964

1964 Member

If you read the user reviews, they are very even for the two, with pretty even numbers of complaints about reliability and noise. IIRC, VS says that the 1-Spot can handle one Line 6 pedal, but more introduces too much noise. I reckon it's a toss up. If you want the extras that the Godlyke comes with, then it's probably worth the extra. Otherwise, I'd opt for the 1-Spot.

19. sandman

sandman Member

I'm happy with One Spot but can you say it's 'roadworthy'? You know, different places, different electrical instalations, 'conditions' you can't predict.
    Is PP2 much more reliable in these terms?

20. walpow

walpow Guest

This is not meant to be a condemnation of the Godlyke's reliability. It's merely a report of my experience.

I've had two of them go bad. The first worked fine for months; then every pedal I tried to use it with put out a loud hum. It was replaced under warranty. The replacement worked fine for a few months; then it stopped working at all. It's currently at Godlyke for replacement. And they make you gather up all the cables and send them back, rather than just swapping out the power unit.

I've got two 1-Spots - one regular and one 12-volt that I use with a polarity switcher to power a couple of Guyatone Flip pedals - and they've worked flawlessly.

As usual, your mileage may vary, no warranty expressed or implied, caveat emptor.

Nathan
    http://walpow.com